Feature Request - Badges Block

Feature Request - Badges Block

by Julian Ridden -
Number of replies: 10

Howdy all,

Great to have seen this feature finally make core. Awesome work and a huge congrats to all who worked on it.= )

Thought I would start a tread on a feature request I am thinking of to see if there is enough traction. If so, I'll add it to the tracker for voting.

I do like the My page implementation to display badges awarded. But I think for many this seperates the awarding to far from the implementation itself in the course.

I am suggesting a course orientated block that will show all badges currently awarded in the current course only. It would also provide a link to the main My Badges page for the bigger picture. This way a teacher could choose to add a block allowing students to see an up to date snapshot of awards they have received for their current course.

I have attached a basic mockup of my idea. I think it would be realtively simple to implement.

Thoughts? Ideas? Improvements? Don't keep them to yourself. Post here and let's get the discussion moving.

Attachment badges_awarded.png
Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Julian Ridden

Re: Feature Request - Badges Block

by Dan Poltawski -

I think it would be realtively simple to implement.

I agree, here is a proof of concept patch which does that (uncomplete, just took me 3mins to write it), in case anyone want so take the baton: https://github.com/danpoltawski/moodle/compare/moodle:master...MDL-openbadges-course-block-master

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Julian Ridden -

Now that was fast.

Thanks for that Dan. I'll grab the patch and provide some feedback.

JR

by Richard Wyles -

Mildly curious as to why you say "finally" when it's hot off the press?

In reply to Richard Wyles

by Julian Ridden -

Hey Richard,

No offense intended. The term "finally" here is used as I have been looking forward to seeing this in Moodle for ages. Now the Beta of 2.5 is out I can finally get my hands on it and start playing. smile

JR

by Gideon Williams -

Having just created a number of badges using the block that involve conditional activities eg passing a quiz with a set score could it be possible to include this in the criteria section?

Also, could it be possible to make the Badge Message appear in more of a triumphant way instead of being attached to the badge? eg pop up window or message?

Does anyone have a mock-up of how badge presentation might look in Mahara?

As regards the hierarchical idea of badges outlined in Richard's maharaUK talk, are there any plans to incorporate this in Moodle eg Mahara101 badge + Moodle101 badge = Mahoodle101 (or a much better example obviously).

Awesome work everyone.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gideon Williams

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

possible to make the Badge Message appear in more of a triumphant way instead of being attached to the badge? eg pop up window or message?

I'd suggest this go into Popup notifications in Messaging outputs. 

There should be a way for the user to control badge email messages, too, so it seems natural to create a Messaging output type for "Badges notifications" for recipients.

In reply to Randy Thornton

by Richard Bakos -

This might be a good place to use bootstrap's built-in modal feature... If the theme uses bootstrap as base, the recipient of the badge would receive notification that they have been awarded the badge through the bootstrap modal... Otherwise, a regular window popup... Question is, build that on/off setting into theme settings or the badges settings? I personally would find it favorable for such a feature to be built into the badges settings so that theme developers don't have to worry about it.

by Gideon Williams -

Have you seen this amazing work from Ian Checkland - http://www.moodlenews.com/2013/badger-block-brings-open-and-custom-badges-to-a-moodle-near-you/

Could this be the answer?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I just filed this in the tracker MDL-39790 which I think might be related to Julian's initial request and further discussion here. Julian if you want to add to it or create a more all-encompassing one, please do, although I suspect you are snowed under (if you can say that in Australia!) with imoot just nowsmile