Grouping (Drag and Drop) Question?

Grouping (Drag and Drop) Question?

por Gideon Williams -
Número de respuestas: 14

Does anyone know if it is possible to do a grouping style question with the drag and drop on image feature (or marker?). For example when you have a number of labels that you need put into two groups like the mock up below:

Many thanks for your time...

Promedio de valuaciones (ratings): -
En respuesta a Gideon Williams

Re: Grouping (Drag and Drop) Question?

por Gideon Williams -

Sorry.

Managed to do it using Drag and Drop markers and making the area the same for each group of questions:

Promedio de valuaciones (ratings):Useful (1)

por Joseph Rézeau -
Imagen de Core developers Imagen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imagen de Plugin developers Imagen de Testers Imagen de Translators

Just confirm that it does work that way, Gideon. Your "rubber duck" was really helpful.sonrisota

Joseph

s

En respuesta a Joseph Rézeau

por Chris Wells -

Is there a way to build this method of doing things exactly like that image above? With the two boxes and you drag the correct answers to the area?

I have installed the module, but these questions don't look like that by default.

Any help on this would be super.

por Jamie Pratt -

A couple of alternative ways of doing this with the drag and drop word to sentence question type would be to do something like this (I like the fact that the draggable words can be embedded in all kinds of html including in this case a nested unordered list)  :

• Dissolves in water
    • {1} (replace curly brackets with double square brackets, I can't work out how to stop things in square brackets being linked to the docs wiki :-( )
    • {2}
  • Does not dissolve in water
    • {3}
    • {4}

Where you have items :

1. salt
  2. sugar
  3. oil
  4. sand

You could put items 1 and 3 in group 1 and 2 and 4 in group 2. Then the student could only drag item 1 or 3 to blanks 1 or 3 and the same with 2 and 4.

Or you could specify you want the answer in some order, for example alphabetical order.

En respuesta a Jamie Pratt

por Joseph Rézeau -
Imagen de Core developers Imagen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imagen de Plugin developers Imagen de Testers Imagen de Translators

@Jamie,

Yes, this does work. However, it will only work if the items are "in pairs", i.e. if we have the same number of "dissolve" items and "non-dissolve" items.

Actually, why not simply use the match question type?

screenshot #1

Joseph

PS.- To display items inside double square brackets, simply enclose your text within code:

Dissolves in water
    Does not dissolve in water

por Jean-Michel Védrine -

The idea to use matching question seems quite interesting to me, and using drag and drop matching it looks even better:

ddmatch

By the way Joseph I don't think you deserve a "Correct" feedbak for answering that sand dissolves in water because I beleive it only dissolves in seewater and this is a very slow process sonrisa.

En respuesta a Jean-Michel Védrine

por Joseph Rézeau -

Jean-Michel "By the way Joseph I don't think you deserve a "Correct" feedbak for answering that sand dissolves in water because I beleive it only dissolves in seewater and this is a very slow process."

Now you can tell I don't have a scientific mind.sonrojo

And you're right, drag and drop matching seems to be the best solution. Let's wait and see what the OP has to say about it.

Joseph

por Don Hinkelman -
Imagen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imagen de Plugin developers

Now that we are on the topic of Drag-and-drop Matching, my favorite question type of all time...  did you notice that ddmatch has a number of bugs when moved from 2.3 to 2.4?

• colors are displayed incompletely when showing correct/incorrect answers
  • typing in two horizontal lines of text shows up as two vertical columns of text in the right-side boxes
  • will no longer accept alternative extra boxes on the right (e.g. four boxes on left, matched with five boxes on right, so that there is one extra answer)

Sorry, for posting this here, but I am hoping the ddmatch fans here have already fixed it, or can tell me the best place to report these bugs.  Thanks!  sonrisa

P.S. I like the grouping question type!  And I think it is different from ddmatch--visually, it is like brainstorming under categories. I would definitely use a grouping question in foreign language vocabulary exercises--great way to interact and think about relationships and hierarchies of words, not just definitions.

En respuesta a Don Hinkelman

por Joseph Rézeau -

@Don,

I am not seeing any of the problems you mention, using latest version available from Jean-Michel's github repository at https://github.com/jmvedrine/moodle-qtype_ddmatch. Did you upgrade any time recently?

Joseph

por Joseph Rézeau -

Actually, you can add one or more extra "answers", in the Edit form, but then if you use them as a student, you get an error:

Notice: Undefined offset: 5 in moodle\question\type\ddmatch\question.php on line 64

Joseph

@Jean-Michel, any idea?

Thanks a lot Joseph,

with your error message the problem was easy to fix (just 1 word change) so I have pushed a new fix to github that fix this problem too.

En respuesta a Don Hinkelman

Hello Don,

there is a "Drag-and-drop matching" component in the tracker  in the CONTRIB project so I think this is the place to post bugs

The problem is that as I am not the "official" maintainer of this addon, I am not automatically notified of new issues created.

Another problem is that I know nearly nothing about javascript so if the problem is in this area of the plugin, I need to find somebody more talented to fix it !

If I look at your 3 reported issues:

#1 is definitely javascript and/or CSS so I am unable to fix it myself

#2 is unclear to me, I was not able to reproduce it. Can you upload a screenshot ?

#3 is also not reproductible for me, I was able to create a ddmatch question with 2 items on the left and 3 on the right with no problem during attempt. But there is an issue with items on the right that don't have a matching item on the left (subanswer with an empty subquestion) because images are not displayed this is issue CONTRIB-4015 and this is in fact a problem in the check_file_access function in question/type/ddmatch/question.php. I will fix it ASAP.