Three types of "enrolments" (Moodle 2.4.3)

Three types of "enrolments" (Moodle 2.4.3)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I can't get the simplest of an enrolment scheme configured. There must be a howto somewhere. Any hints?

This is what I want:

No "Guest login" necessary
----------------------
The whole site does not know anything about "Guest login", as such the corresponding button should not appear anywhere.

Courses of type A
-----------------
- Open to everybody, i.e. with or without a logging in. Of course if the user is not logged in, he can not participate actively in the course.

- Identifed by one icon, say "head"

Courses of type B
-----------------
- The user have to be logged in to enter the course. The first time, he needs to answer the question "Do you want to enroll?" positively. No enrollment key necessary.

- An enrolled user can unenrol from the course at any time. But his activities (forum discussions, test answers, etc.) remain in the course.

- Identified by a different icon, say "door"

Course of type C
----------------
- Just like B except that the user needs to enter an enrollment key

- Identified by a third icon, say "key".
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Three types of "enrolments" (Moodle 2.4.3)

by Derek Chirnside -

I did not reply to this iniktially because I was no totally sure of this answer: I think everyone inside Moodle needs a role.  The visiting and having a look around role is (in code Moodle) Guest.  You need to switch guest on sitewide.  Then treat each course individually:

If you want a person to be able to visit, and self enrol, I think you use a self enrolment plugin with blank key.  I cannot remember if it is possible to visit and then later on in your visit to decide to join.  I think it may happen when you first click on the course.

More later.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

Hi Derek

I had this setup in 1.9. Now those settings have been moved to other places and hidden amoung the countless new options.

Anyway, my intentions were:
a) The "having a look" visitor should not be confronted with the Moodle "guest" story. He _is_ a guest.
b) There are three types of courses which are clearly recognizable from the icon next to it.

I think, I have types A and C.
1. Global (as the site administrator)
-> Site administration -> Plugins -> Enrolments -> Guest access:
Require guest access password (enrol_guest | requirepassword) not set

-> Site administration -> Plugins -> Enrolments -> Manage enrol plugins:
Enable "Self enrolment"

-> Site administration -> Plugins -> Enrolments -> Self enrolment:
Require enrolemntkey (enrol_self | requirepassword) set
Add instance to new courses (enrol_self | defaultenrol) set
Allow self enrolments (enrol_self | status) set

2. At the course level (the Teacher for example)
Type A: -> Edit setting:
Guest access: Allow guest access Yes
Guest access: Password (empty)

Type C: -> Edit setting:
Guest access: Allow guest access No
Users -> Enrolment methods -> Self enrolment:
Allow self enrolemnets Yes
Enrolment key (value)

Haven't got type B yet.
> Courses of type B
> -----------------
> - The user have to be logged in to enter the course. The first time, he needs to answer the question "Do you want to enroll?" positively. No enrollment key necessary.
>
> - An enrolled user can unenrol from the course at any time. But his activities (forum discussions, test answers, etc.) remain in the course.

To make it clear, the visitor has a login (and a password) now, which he got via e-mail confirmation. Type B courses allow him to enrol immediately, no enrolment key necessary.

by Derek Chirnside -

Yesterday I was asked if I can set up a course for any ex students to be able to enrol and unenrol themeslves at will.  So we can e-mail them news about courses

The same as your question Visvanath:

"- An enrolled user can unenrol from the course at any time. But his activities (forum discussions, test answers, etc.) remain in the course"

I suspect this has to do with capabilities, and I think maybe it is not possible to change capabilities for just one course.  I've posted in a separate thread.

The problem with switching this on sitewide is that people will just click on the unenrol me button to see what will happen.  :-[)

Maybe we can do this unenroll bit, but I suspect that then there will be a thing in the forums "This person is no longer a member of the course".  I'm hoping to find this out first to save a whole lot of trial and error.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

Hi Derek

I think we are looking for two different things:

- "unenrol me" is not a problem for me, even site-wide.

- What I need is "enrol me" without a key, only for certain courses (type B), i.e. not site-wide

by Liz Katz -

No "Guest login" necessary
----------------------
The whole site does not know anything about "Guest login", as such the corresponding button should not appear anywhere.

I've been trying to this for a while. If you figure it out. Please post here. I'll do the same.

I feel like the answer lies in User Policies and creating a new role that has more permissions for this.

role for visitorsnotloggedinroleid
Guest (guest) Supervisor (supervisor) Full Email Permission (emailall) All reports (reports) Advanced User Control (useradmin) advanced search (advsearch)
Default: Guest (guest)

Users who are not logged in to the site will be treated as if they have this role granted to them at the site contextGuest is almost always what you want here, but you might want to create roles that are less or more restrictive. Things like creating posts still require the user to log in properly.

In reply to Liz Katz

by Liz Katz -

Found the answer. It is counter-intuitive.

You have to enable the guest login button and then set the site to view visitors as guests. The button doesn't appear. 

L

In reply to Liz Katz

Hi Liz

Could you be more specific? This is what works, with ??? at where it doesn't:

Site-wide settings
------------------------
-> Site administration -> Plugins -> Enrolments -> Guest access:
Require guest access password (enrol_guest | requirepassword) not set

-> Site administration -> Plugins -> Enrolments -> Manage enrol plugins:
Enable "Self enrolment"

-> Site administration -> Plugins -> Enrolments -> Self enrolment:
Require enrolemntkey (enrol_self | requirepassword) set
Add instance to new courses (enrol_self | defaultenrol) set
Allow self enrolments (enrol_self | status) set

Courses of type A. Show case (anybody can visit without logging in, not even as "Guest")
-> Course-administration -> Edit settings -> Guest access: Allow guest access Yes
-> Course-administration -> Edit settings -> Guest access: Password (empty)

Courses of type B: Open courses (The user is logged in with an individual - non "Guest" - login, has no enrolment key. But can enrol himself immediately)
???

Courses of type C: Closed courses (The user is logged in with an individual - non "Guest" - login, and knows the enrolment key)
-> Course-administration -> Edit settings -> Guest access: Allow guest access No
-> Course-administration -> Users -> Enrolment methods -> Self enrolment (Student) -> Allow self-enrolment: Yes
-> Course-administration -> Users -> Enrolment methods -> Self enrolment (Student) -> Enrolement key: THE_KEY

Edit: After summarizing I thought type B could be identical to type C except that the Enrolment key is empty. But Moodle does not allow that.

I can see the obvious work-around: publish the enrolment key in the front page.

There must be a more elegant solution. Is there any reason why the enrolment key can not be empty, whereas the "Guest access password" could be?

Re: Three types of "enrolments" (Moodle 2.4.3) SOLVED

> Is there any reason why the enrolment key can not be empty, whereas the "Guest access password" could be?

There was: Site administration -> Plugins -> Enrolments -> Self enrolement -> Require enrolment key (enrol_self | requirepassword) was set! Changed it to No and now I can I assign courses the empty enrolment key.