Can moodle recognise if a student or staff log on?

Can moodle recognise if a student or staff log on?

by Zak Lounds -
Number of replies: 1

Hi

I've just started creating a moodle page for the school I work at, I've tested around with manual accounts and authenticated accounts, I just wanted to know that if an authenticated user logs into moodle for the first time, can moodle tell if it's a staff account or a student account and then put that user into the role of teacher or student automatically or does it have to be done manually by moodle admin?

Thanks

Lounds

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zak Lounds

Re: Can moodle recognise if a student or staff log on?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. Well the short answer is "no" but there is a longer answer. Users in Moodle are "authenticated users" and don't normally enter with a student or teacher role even though they might have that role i the "real" world. See Assign roles So the not so short answer is that an administrator would have to decide for each user in each course which role they have. The longer answer is that it  is possible with various authentication methods to upload users or enrol users into courses with specified teacher/student roles (but again the admin has to do that in advance. ) See Authentication (LDAP for example) or Upload users