Need Help!! Moodle 2.1.1

Need Help!! Moodle 2.1.1

by Sam Adams -
Number of replies: 3

When creating a new user I get a default name and password. The default name and password are mine as the administrator.  I can change it  and create a new student but when uploading bulk users I get an error message. Need advice quickly on what setting might have changed. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sam Adams

Re: Need Help!! Moodle 2.1.1

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Don't think I've ever seen any config screen/setting in a 'stock' Moodle (no addons) that set a default username and default password when creating a new user manually.  Maybe it's your browser settings - did you check the box for remembering login/pass? 

Have access to another browser or machine that you've not used as a Moodle Admin?  Try the other browser/machine and see if behavior is the same.

As far as bulk user uploads ... not sure the two are related ... just what error are you getting?  (turn on debug)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Sam Adams -

Thanks Ken for the reply.  I have tried the upload from different computers in different locations (home and school).  I have recently added 2 new admins due to my changing jobs next year.  They both told me they did not change any settings but never know. When I add a single user I am getting my username and password in the fields when I first open the form and the boxes are highlighted like they are locked but it does let me change them to add a single student.  Weird I know.  Here is the error message I get when bulk uploading new users. I really appreciate your help.

parent does not exist!

• line 884 of /lib/adminlib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 31 of /admin/settings/misc.php: call to admin_category->add()
  • line 5903 of /lib/adminlib.php: call to require()
  • line 5790 of /lib/adminlib.php: call to admin_get_root()
  • line 41 of /admin/uploaduser.php: call to admin_externalpage_setup()
In reply to Sam Adams

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

The following for the bulk upload of users - think the other problem is a browser issue. 

Advise you need to upgrade the 2.1.1 to the highest/most secure version in that series 2.1.10.  One very good reason to do so: I cannot find a /admin/settings/misc.php file in the 2.1.10 version. Also, in the downloads page for Moodle (http://download.moodle.org/):

"This is the last formal release of the 2.1 branch. Support for this branch has been discontinued."

Probably should upgrade to the highest 2.x version your server can run.

'spirit of sharing', Ken