Re: Open Badges and Moodle - Backpack

by Ian Guest -
Number of replies: 1

I must apologise for what may be random, incoherent mumblings, but here are a few thoughts that popped into my head ... and as such are influenced by our local circumstances and may not therefore apply universally.

A badge conveys a message about the holder, intended for an audience or audiences. If Moodle acts as  "displayer" and a "issuer" of badges, there at least two sets of audience: internal to the organisation and external. Assuming for a moment that a Badge recipient will wish to display to both sets, then we in our school need to ensure that the badge can 'get out.' Not being familiar with the mechanics(electronics?!) of how that might occur, I'm more than aware that data pathways in and out of our organisation aren't always ... free-flowing ... for valid reasons! Ports, proxies, protocols and IP addresses are just a few of the terms with which I have just sufficient knowledge to know they might be significant. If Moodle is to 'push' Badges to an external backpack, can anyone tell me whether whatever is implemented is likely to be able negotiate a communication pathway between a typical(?) school internal Moodle implementation, to an external backpack provider? Or is the 3rd option suggested ("Don't implement the external backpack...") likely to be more effective, whilst clearly not providing the same degree of seamless experience for the Badge recipient as we might like? Thinking also about the 'Assertions' and specifically "...hosting a public key at a well known, public URL." In the case of a local Moodle behind a an educational Gateway, is this possible? Or will the 'key' be held externally from the school Moodle? Will it be taken care of during the Module design process? Or (as is likely!), is my understanding currently too limited?

On a separate, but related theme, if Badges are to carry 'weight' or have some degree of credence in more formal settings, it is likely that the 'audience' in those circumstances might want to inspect evidence of achievement - one of the 'optional' badge fields. Would I be right in thinking that this is where Mahara naturally sits? And if we don't have Mahara, we need to find an alternative way of surfacing the evidence produced en route to satisying the Badge criteria?

OK, brain starting to hurt.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian Guest

by Simon Coggins -

Hi Ian,

Excellent point - we'll definitely need to consider the technicalities of getting data in and out.

For getting the badges out, ideally it would be possible to "push" then to your backpack automatically, but there is at least a manual fallback - the badges are PNG image files with all the metadata built into the image so the user could just download their badge and upload it into the backpack.

As for verifying badges received from a moodle site behind a firewall, that's a very good question! I'm in discussions with the open badges folks at the moment so I'll ask them how this situation is handled - I'm sure it's something that must have come up before now.

We hadn't put much thought into how to handle evidence yet - but as you said badges do support it - we'll add a couple of user stories to capture the ideas but it will have a lower priority than getting an initial implementation out there.

Thanks very much, great feedback!

Simon