My annoying theme problem

My annoying theme problem

by Marc Hermon -
Number of replies: 9

I have been using the simple space theme for our new moodle 2.4.2 and I have found a slight annoyance which must be theme related because it displays ok if I change the theme. Below is what the groups dropdown menu does on a questionnaire page in my Simple Space theme. It displays normally in the Standard theme and several other themes. Any ideas? 

Attachment simple.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marc Hermon

Re: My annoying theme problem

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

This looks like this is a conflict between the tabs and the dropdown menu. Usually adding clear: both; to the element that is lower down the page, like a header which would look like...

h2.main {clear: both;}

but I would need to replicate the problem to find the fix. So would John come to think of it.

The best way is as Gareth suggests, try locating the sourse code for the elements involved using Firebug.

Here's a tutorial which explains how to install Firebug and how to use it in Moodle. The same principles apply to your problem.

What would be good, to help diagnose the problem, would be a screenshot of the sourcecode of the element/s involved on the page.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Marc Hermon

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Marc,

This is turning out to be a bigger problem than I first thought.

It's actually something to do with the layout. Also I found a few problems with the config.php. So if you want to try adding the attached simplespace/config.php to test you can do. Besure to make a copy of your old simplespace/config.php by calling it config-old.php.

It will fix the problem.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Marc Hermon -

Thanks for trying to help me. I have tried your config file but with no luck. I  did put themes in designer mode and also tried to purge all cache but the problem still remained. I am slowly trying to understand css and use firebug but am definitely no where close to having a great understanding. When I inspect the dropdown element here is a screen shot of firebug if it helps you at all. Also I used simplespace but I have tweaked it and changed things and called my theme ucsd which stands for Urbandale Community School District. So I changed two of your config lines to the following: Is this correct? 

$THEME->name = 'ucsd';

$THEME->csspostprocess = 'ucsd_process_css';

Marc

In reply to Marc Hermon

by Mary Evans -

All I know is it is not responding to the way it should.

The Questionnaire page should show up as side-pre-only but for some reason it is not doing that in Simplespace and without ripping the whole theme apart I can't help, especially if you have also changed the theme names too, so this coula also be atributing to the problem.

Better ask John Stabinger to look into this if he has time.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by John St -

I plan on just completely re-vamping this theme in the next week or two. patching it, at this point, is not going to work. So if you can hold on a bit, a new version is on its way. 

In reply to John St

by Marc Hermon -

Awesome! I'm really hoping to use it for our school district site.

In reply to John St

by Marc Hermon -

I updated the newest version of simple space today and it looks like it solved my problems that I was having earlier. Now, can someone explain how I can change the column widths? I went into pagelayout.css but I don't understand enough about css to figure it out. I basically want to make the left and right columns wider and I don't need quite as much space between the columns either. I played with the pixels but saw no change and I am in Design Mode.