help with xampp/Git/local host install

help with xampp/Git/local host install

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 20
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. I have  new Windows 8 laptop (don't ask) and  I am trying to get moodle on it . Previously on Win 7 I used a wamp server and Git successfully so I do know  how to do it.  However, I couldnt get Wamp servr to work with Win 8 so I thought I would try with Xampp which I have never used before. Xampp appears to work (well the Apache and Mysql are green anyway) and I made a database, downloaded Moodle, but when I type in localhost/moodle I get "object not found". I tried going straight to the instal.php file in my moodle folder but when I put that into the browser I got the install file as a text version. I am obviously missing something related to connecting the Xampp server to Moodle but I haven't a clue what and would be grateful for any help (And before  I get any snide comments, the plan is to have a Ubuntu local host Moodle sometime soon!)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: help with xampp/Git/local host install

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You mean me, don't you? big grin

If it was me... I would probably try installing it from individual components (like my insane docs for Windows 7) but, failing that, I suspect that Virtual Box, Ubuntu, done would be a hell of a lot quicker.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I do mean you Howard smile Actually I am a bit fed up of trying with this  - I have looked at the Xampp FAQ  and tried some things. I got frustrated when trying to change the hosts file and it told me I had to be administrator when I AM adminstrator of my own computerangry  I think I had better have  break and try again later. 

Question:If I install the all in one Xampp package from the downloads page (assuming that will work on Win 8 and might sort my laptop out for me) can I then switch to  Git?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -

(new post) I just saw your edited post with a suggestion. I might just have to leave it and try with Ubuntu (hoping a friendly friend will do this later in the week so I don't have to) But I don't like to be beaten and I got it fine on Win 7

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I should post a VirtualBox image somewhere. Stripped down Linux of some sort plus Moodle via Git.

Hmmm...

by Mary Cooch -

Thanks Howard. I will try again with the Moodle all in one package (later, when I feel more inclined!0

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Mary,

Editing the hosts file in situ can be a pain in Win 7 too.  So, copy it to the desktop, edit it and then copy it back.  Then you could be able to say 'Yes' to the user access control question.

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Also...

Up to you...

I use Zend Server CE (free) http://www.zend.com/en/products/server/free-edition - then edit the 'httpd.conf' file to have an entry to a cloned Git install of Moodle.  Then can use the full power of Git to update / switch etc...

Example httpd.conf entry:

Alias /moodle25 "F:\moodledev\moodle25"
<Directory "F:\moodledev\moodle25">
#AllowOverride FileInfo
AllowOverride All

DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm
AcceptPathInfo on

Order Deny,Allow
Allow from All

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
</Directory>

Then can access through 'localhost/moodle25'.

Zend Server CE has a rather nice web interface to allow switching off / on of php modules as required.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Mary Cooch -

Hi Gareth - I managed to edit  and resave the hosts file by running notepad as admin but it did't make any difference and in the end I got fed up with Xampp and have uninstalled it and am going to have another go with Wamp (having found some more instructions online for Wamp and Windows 8 ) Rapidly getting disillusioned with Windows 8 though (no, actually, disillusioned already) That said  -whenever I whinge on twitter, Microsoft Help twitter account is always offering suggestions so I'm not dissing them completely)

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Howard,

Do you have such an animal (VirtualBox image)?  Been thinking same.

So experiment: http://sos.tcea.org/CentOS64wMDL24.ova

CentOS 6.4 (recently updated), Moodle 2.4.latest (git installed and maintained).

root/netadm2011

Set for DHCP

Once logged on as root: ./getip [ENTER]

Then: cat myip [ENTER]

config.php would need to be edited ... wwwroot for whatever IP.

cd /var/www/html/moodle

nano config.php

Moodle login: admin/Netadm2011!

Has a scource script to upgrade:

cd /var/www/html/moodle

source up

and a small script to check version in /var/www/html/moodle/:

./mversion

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Howard Miller -

Yes you can - I know very little about xampp but, at the end of the day, it just stuffs the Moodle program files in a directory somewhere. Just swap that out with files cloned from Git and replace config.php. Job done.

You just need to track down that directory - shouldn't be too hard.

by Andy Pellow -

Hi Mary,

I used the Moodle 2.4.1 full package on my Win 8 laptop - extract the files and run the start Moodle exe.  Then browse to localhost/your folderr name.

Andy

In reply to Andy Pellow

by Mary Cooch -

Hi Andy. The only thing about downloading the standard package, which I have seriously considered, is I have messed about so much with various files on my laptop (eg hosts) that I am no longer certain even an all in one would work - plus I want just the one server to host several different versions, which I did successfully with Wamp server on Windows 7. Gareth- I have been tweaking the apache httpd file (once I found where it is) allowing everything etc but still no joy. I hate to be beaten but frankly I tried and failed to get a Xampp server working on Windows 8 and I tried and failed (twice) to get a Wamp server working  - I have trawled the internet and tried all manner of fixes suggested by people with the same problem -but all I get is an orange Wamp icon and 403 forbidden screens. 

At least one good thing has come out of this - I can really empathise with forum posters here who come on saying they have been tearing their hair out with a Moodle problem for days to no avail! I wish I could just give upsad

In reply to Mary Cooch

(and finally...) with xampp/Git/local host install

by Mary Cooch -

I deleted the wamp and xampp servers and downloaded the all in one Windows installer but when I clicked "start Moodle" and went to local host I still got a 403. It's annoying but I guess I am going to have to admit defeat on a brand new, less than one week old Windows 8 laptop.sad It has taken up too much of my free time 

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: (and finally...) with xampp/Git/local host install

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Mary,

Given your tweet on twitter about port 80 and the above, could this be some new fangled Windows 8 firewall blocking thing?  I'm still on Win 7 (and intend to stay that way).  But will help if I can.

What about http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/windows-firewall-from-start-to-finish ??

Cheers,

Gareth

by Gareth J Barnard -

And looks like IIS is on by default:

http://forum.wampserver.com/read.php?2,92112

"Go into Activate or deactivate Windows Characteristics and disable it, that should free port 80"

So would explain port 80 issue and "object not found".  As requests are going to IIS which has not been set up for Moodle and not xampp which has and is 'yellow'.

by Mary Cooch -

Hi Gareth. No sadly it was one of the first things I tried. When I check it out it says that port 80 is in use with Apache server/php etc (and I am no longer sure whether these are relics of wamp/xampp or something else) but definitely not IIS which was disabled. Or even Skype which  was another suggestion. I now have to go through the drag of uninstalling the Windows installation package which, if I recall correctly, was extremely difficult to do on a previous laptop as it kept saying files were in use elsewhere and refused to uninstall. As it is now I can't delete the xampp folder that got made even though I went into my programs and uninstalled xampp! Grrrr...

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gareth J Barnard -

Pants sad - is there a 'safe mode' to boot into for uninstalling that does not start so many services that would put a file lock on the files you are trying to remove?

by Gareth J Barnard -

If you type / run 'netstat -ab' in an administrator command window - search for 'cmd.exe' in the 'start' type thing search box and right click to run as an administrator, then that should tell you what process is using what port for diagnostics.

It's the 'Listening' ones to look at.