Rename Students submission

Rename Students submission

by Angeliki Sarafi -
Number of replies: 1

Hi! Do you know if it is possible to rename students' submitted assignmets and save tham using a different name indicating the module, students name and module code?

For example, the student submits an assignment called "MyAssignment.docx" and we would like to to be auto saved in the format "<module><assignment#><student name>.docx

Thanks a lot!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Angeliki Sarafi

Re: Rename Students submission

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Angeliki,

You don't say which version of Moodle your are using, but I assume it is a fairly recent one. I do not know of a way you can get Moodle to automatically rename what a student submits. If you download and keep copies of their work, you can change/rename it when saving the download.

To save myself work, from the very first day of class, I teach my students how I want things named. In fact, I make it part of their grade and take off points if they do not correctly name anything they turn in. I require them to name everything starting with their name, what program they used to create the document, then the name of the assignment. For example a typical essay writing assignment written by me in Libre Office Write would be named: AlRachelsLOWriteSpringBreakEssay.odf (I also count off if they use spaces in file names so I don't get a bunch of annoying %20's in the filenames.)

If they resubmit an assignment, I require them to add a version number like so: AlRachelsLOWriteSpringBreakEssay2.odf

Hope this helps,

AL