General help

mp4 instead of flv as default video - browser problems

Picture of Mitja Decman
mp4 instead of flv as default video - browser problems

our moodle 2.4.2 will include mp4 videos of lectures, flv is too big and out of date. youtube is not an option. html embeding code is not an option as well, since professor can't do that.

if we make link to mp4 video, chrome shows it like video (embeded), IE and Firefox not (yes if it is flv video it works great everywhere). We tried JWplayer, but to use it you need to embed code.

So, can we make JWplayer default or do something else to have mp4 video shown in all browsers by simply making link in label or page.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Rob Johnson
Re: mp4 instead of flv as default video - browser problems
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

IE and FF are likely looking for the quicktime plugin to play those clips.  Search these fourms for a hack that will have Flowplayer play MP4's.  It will play like a Flash file in IE and FF, and fallback (or fall forward) to HTML 5 on Chrome and mobiles.

James Richardson

Hello mitja decman!

When ou link to the mp4 do you insert the video with the Moodle Media in the WYSIWYG editor? If not you may need to reuse the code Moodle uses. You can change the path to the mp4 in the code after using the Moodle Media Insert / edit embedded media button. Also, do you have all the necessary browser plugins to run an MP4 on that computer?

Best Regards,

James R

Picture of AL Rachels
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

Hi Mitja,

I would suggest you install the PoodLL filter and set it to play your mp4's. I use it and videos show up in the same video player in FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari, and IE. There are other advantages also. You can set the player to handle flv, mp4, mov, as well as mp3's. There are numerous settings that are really nice to have such as height, width, color, etc. and lots of other capability if you also install all the other parts of PoodLL.

Hope this helps,

AL

Picture of Mitja Decman
Odg: Re: mp4 instead of flv as default video - browser problems

Hi,

just installed PoodLL, looks promising. Thanks.

I use label and link to a MP4 video.

In FF looks OK, in IE I get 2 videos, in Chrome I get one navigation video bar - not working anything and on good video.

I did set PoodLL filter above Multimedia plugins though

Regards

Mitja

Picture of Justin Hunt
Re: Odg: Re: mp4 instead of flv as default video - browser problems
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

For some reason filters dont always work as expected in labels. Just turn off multimedia filter handling of mp4 at :

site administration -> appearance -> media embedding 

that should remove the double filtering. 

Picture of Mitja Decman
Odg: Re: Odg: Re: mp4 instead of flv as default video - browser problems

Well, what I did is disbled HTML5 video handling by Media embedding and now it works great.

Regards

Mitja