JPlayer(video player)

JPlayer(video player)

by Tõnis Tartes -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello everyone, 

I've been working on a little video player for Moodle 2.x, named JPlayer(this name might change). This player uses the latest free version of JW Player 6. 

I am looking for a second opinion about it, user feedback about this activity and some help testing it. So if someone has some time to try this out and send me some feedback, that would be helpful.

This activity is still in development, so i dont recommend using it on a production serverI have tested this only on Moodle 2.3 and Moodle 2.4...

This player is based on Matt Bury's MediaPlayer(Thank you!), but this is a lightweight version of that. 
It does not have the snapshots, bitstreaming, metaviewer, skins, logo, etc.. functionality(mostly because the free version of JW Player 6 does not support those).

Although it enables you to use start image, multiple captions, playlists(from youtube or upload multiple mp4 files - HD Switch is supported too) and a little bit more. Currently only mp4, flv, webm video formats are supported. Captions support is the same as goes for JW Player 6(vtt for example). I have'nt done much documentation about it, but it should be relatively easy to understand it. 

You can download and try this out - https://github.com/t6nis/moodle-mod_jplayer

Or you can go and view some examples here(login as guest) - http://moodle.t6nis.com/course/view.php?id=3

I have'nt figured out a decent way for streaming support...

If you find any issues please report them here or better in github.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tõnis Tartes

Re: JPlayer(video player)

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Tonis,

I just went and took a quick look as guest and will give this a try later on tomorrow on my dev servers. I think the playlist capability is something I could REALLY learn to like as I have years and years of portfolio videos that I would like to make available for my students without having to make a scroll-of-death page for them.

(Big Buck Bunny sure gets around a lot.)

AL

In reply to Tõnis Tartes

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Tõnis,

Great, looking forward to seeing it in action. I'd be happy to help out with testing, etc.

If you're into developing in Actionscript and want a truly open source media player with all the bells and whistles, this is worth checking out: http://www.osmf.org/ Basically, all the really intensive development and testing work has been done for you and you can just put together a modular media player to your specific requirements.

All the best,

Matt

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Matt Bury

Vastus: Re: JPlayer(video player)

by Tõnis Tartes -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thank you for this interesting link! I might give this a shot.

In reply to Tõnis Tartes

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Tõnis,

This new module/player is just what I have been needing! I really like the playlist capability. I have many small videos from over the years that I have been looking for an easy way to make them available for view by new students each year. This will let me display them very easily.

I have been playing the last hour or two in my Moodle 2.3 dev site without any problems, mixing and matching various resolutions and types of videos. In fact, I have discovered that this module, along with the PoodLL online assignment, and the PoodLL repository go together and open the door for new possibilities.

Thanks,

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

Vastus: Re: JPlayer(video player)

by Tõnis Tartes -

Thank you for this great feedback! I guess i will do some more polishing on this activity and add some more documentation. I hope that in couple of weeks this could be good for production servers.

I also will try to play around with the OSMF(Open Source Media Framework), the link that Matt gave. This looks interesting and maybe i can add even more functionality to this activity.