Gradebook

Picture of Tiffany Morgan
ideas for creating an optional/alternative assignment

Hi all

We are using 1.9.6.

I am looking for a method to achieve the following:

I want to have an assignment that is not extra credit, but that all students do not have to complete. Situations for this might include a remedial assignment, additional practice, etc. It would not be required for all students but for those students whom it is required it would be calcuated into thier grade.

What I have tried so far, that has not worked, is excluding the alternative assignment. This did not work as we are 1) using sum of grades calculation method and exclude does not work for that method and 2) all other calcuation methods rentered the calculation widlly incorrect.

Is there another alternative that I am overlooking?

Thanks!

paula
Re: ideas for creating an optional/alternative assignment
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

My stand alone Moodle 1.9 is a little newer than yours, not sure when this feature came in, but try this.  Go to the gradebook, go to the full view. There should be a box at the top that says, "Agregate only non-zero grades."  Check that box.  That should allow that grade to be included in the total only if there is actually a grade in it and ignore when there is not.

Paula cool

Picture of Tiffany Morgan

Thanks for the reply. I should have indicated that I do have Aggregate only non-empty grades checked for the main category and for all subcategories.. I dont have a Aggregate only non-zero grades.

I attached a screen shot of what I see

Thanks!

Tiffany

Picture of Bob Puffer
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

As you indicate in your op "Aggregate only non-empty grades" isn't going to work with Sum of grades aggregation.  Thought about this for a while and the only thing I came up with is to use the LAE Grader -- it uses accurate points with all aggregation types so you would be able to rely on the "Aggregate only non-empty grades".