Installation help

Picture of Khaison Duong
installing Moodle 2.4.3 - how to upgrade php

Hello,

I am currently running moodle 1.9.7 and I want to install 2.4.3. I was considering upgrading but I was worried that I might lose some of my courses. I must admit I am somewhat of a novice user.

So I decided to do a separate install. My current moodle is at www.laviadellaseta.org/moodle and I am trying to put the new version at www.laviadellaseta.org/moodle2.

After the install I get a php problem "Moodle 2.1 or later requires at least PHP 5.3.2 (currently using version 5.2.17)"

I have tried to look for how to upgrade my php but I'm having a lot of difficulty understanding everything. I don't even know where my current version of php is located. From reading a bit, it seems that it might already be on my server as I don't remember installing anything when I installed 1.9.7 years ago. I read in another forum that the problem might be having multiple versions of moodle.

Can anyone help me get 2.4.3 working?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Howard Miller
Re: installing Moodle 2.4.3 - how to upgrade php
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

What operating system is it and how was PHP installed in the first place?

Picture of Khaison Duong

I used Windows 7. I think the server is windows. I don't remember ever installing php. I'm sorry for being so ignorant. How can I find this information.

Picture of Bret Miller
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Note that while I'm a Windows admin and have php running under IIS, I don't run Moodle in that environment. So here is how I would approach this issue:

1. Using the moodle migration instructions, I'd make a copy of my production site and upgrade that to 1.9.19+.

2. After verifying that the test upgrade is working, I would upgrade my production site to 1.9.19+.  The reason for doing this first is that older versions of 1.9 do not support php 5.3, and there are a number of pre-2.x upgrade issues fixed in later 1.9 versions. The 1.9 upgrade should be relatively safe, but testing first is always encouraged.

3. Upgrade php to the latest 5.3 version. You'll find it here: http://windows.php.net/download/. You should probably first use control panel's "change" option to note the options that php 5.2 used, and save a copy of C:\Program Files\php\php.ini so you have a reference for getting the settings right in the new version. You may also need to know which web server software Moodle runs under, whether Apache or IIS as that may affect how php is installed.

4. Once php is upgraded and Moodle is still running successfully and shows php 5.3, then proceed to upgrade your test site from 1.9.19+ to 2.2.9+ to 2.4.3+. Note that the incremental upgrade steps are necessary for the upgrades to work properly, and you should test that your Moodle is still working after each one.

Always upgrade first on a copy of your production site. Always back up your production site fully before attempting an upgrade (moodle files, moodle data files, and database).

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Khaison Duong

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely give that a try with upgrading when I have a bit of time. One thing though.. I don't have c:\program files\php. I did a search from the start menu and I can't seem to find php.ini anywhere.