Ideas needed for improving the SCORM settings page

Ideas needed for improving the SCORM settings page

by Helen Foster -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Dear SCORM users,

Coming soon in Moodle 2.5 are forms with collapsible sections. You can see them in action on the QA testing site. wide eyes

Consequently, many of the activity settings pages now need some reorganising in order to make the most of this new functionality.

Here's my suggestion for improving the SCORM settings page (with section names in bold):

General
Name
Description
Display description on course page

Content
Package file

Appearance
Display package
Width *
Height *
Options (Prevented by some browsers) *
Student skip content structure page *
Disable preview mode *
Display course structure on entry page
Display course structure in player *
Hide navigation buttons

Availability
Available from
Available to

Grades
Grading method
Maximum grade

Attempts
Number of attempts
Attempts grading
Display attempt status
Force completed *
Force new attempt *
Lock after final attempt *
Auto-continue *

You'll notice I've moved the package file to it's own section named 'Content', making it consistent with the IMS content package and other resource type settings pages. Both 'General' and 'Content' sections would be open (not collapsed) by default.

I also moved the available from/to settings to their own section named 'Availability' and changed the name 'Display Settings' to 'Appearance', also for reasons of consistency with other settings pages (see the setting pages review spreadsheet).

Finally, I gave 'Additional settings' a more descriptive name of 'Attempts', though I was wondering whether 'Attempts management' or something else would be better?

If you have any comments, suggestions for further improvement, or ideas for other ways of reorganising the SCORM settings page, please let us know, so that MDL-38757 can be fixed in time for the release of Moodle 2.5.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Ideas needed for improving the SCORM settings page

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Helen,
I'm not mother tongue in English and this will not help me in this context but those last settings configure the "Behaviors"/"(Business) Rules" of the learning experience... May I propose a merge like "Attempt behaviors/rules" or "Learning behaviors/rules"?
I'm quite sure they doesn't sound in English as expressive as in my mind smile so my +1 goes for "Attempts management".

HTH,
Matteo

In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Ideas needed for improving the SCORM settings page

by Andrea Bicciolo -

Hi Helen,

thanks for the spreadsheet link, a good way to understand where to match words when used for the same purpose across several module settings.

About SCORM module setting page, your improvement proposal looks sensible to me. For the section "Attempts", my +1 for "Attempts management"