Using book in module in older versions of moodle.

Using book in module in older versions of moodle.

by Kyle Cordano -
Number of replies: 5

Hello everyone,

First time poster here. I am creating a course and looking at the resources and activites, I would really like to use the book module. However, I am using moodle 2.2.9 and currently am unable to upgrade to a newer version. Is there anyway I can install the book module onto the older version that I have. If so, some instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Kyle

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kyle Cordano

Re: Using book in module in older versions of moodle.

by Paula Clough -

Kyle,

Here are a couple of possible work arounds you might try until you can upgrade.

• Use the lesson module instead.  Just keep it simple.  You will not have the print all feature you have in the book.
  • If you have a computer you could set up a local moodle on (Bitnami.org has a nice little package that's pretty easy to use), you could set up a higher version, build your book and then save it as an IMS file.  It will download a zipped file of the book content which you can drop into the IMS content package . It will open up and can be read. It will have a table of contents on the side and navigation buttons.  It will not print the entire book though.  You will not be able to edit the content in the IMS, you will have to go back to the standalone and edit it there.

Paula cool

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Paula Clough

by Kyle Cordano -

Paula,

I actually need to do a couple interactive questions, etc. so I believe I need the book module. Talked to the network administrator to see if he can get that 2.4 update, if not I will try your IMS package fix. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks alot!

In reply to Kyle Cordano

by A. T. Wyatt -

Kyle,

I apologize if I am mis-interpreting what you want to do, but if you are planning to embed questions within the content, would you find using a SCORM package to be a better choice?

atw

In reply to Kyle Cordano

by Sakshi Goel -

Hello Kyle

1st thing is book is not available in moodle1.9.

second point - I you want to embed interactive question in the book. that is not possible. Because in moodle book is a resource which allows students to only read it, it doesn't allow them to answer the question. For interactive question please check activities section in moodle. Activities in Moodle are interactive.

A lesson will give you this functionality. it helps you in creating pages as well as interactive question which allow student to answer it also.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)