Urgent problem with student/teacher

Urgent problem with student/teacher

by Jean-Michel Frouin -
Number of replies: 5
Hi, I use moodle to handle 2 schools, each school have 2 classroms, and each classroms have 10 users Each classroms have a teacher. My problem is : I want that teacher of class 1 of school 1 is able only to open/close course for his classrom only and didn't see other classrom of same school, and not other schools I am not able to find a way to do that. Can someone tell me if moodle can handle this "sealing" (don't know if this is the correct word) or not ? I try to do that for 2 weeks now without luck sad and I becoming crazy ... Thanks for your help PS: I use moodle 2.4.3
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jean-Michel Frouin

Re: Urgent problem with student/teacher

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If you set the roles of teacher/student specific to a class rather than for the whole site, and set the enrollment for each course so that users cannot self-enrol (or need an enrolment key to do so) then that should do what you need. The users are then simply authenticated users on the site, and have their student/teacher roles only for the classes they are in and cannot access the others.

HTH

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Jean-Michel Frouin -

Many thanks for your answer.

But this didn't fit exactly my need, because :

If two user of one school are enrolled in course 1.

And two other of another school are enrolled in same course.

Both will be visible from other since they are in same course ...  true (nevermind which roles they have / how they are enrolled, if they need to see course's student) ?

In reply to Jean-Michel Frouin

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

OK - to clarify:

You have 2 schools with 2 classes in each and 10 users per class and you want the teachers to only be able to open their own class.

But you also want multiple teachers in the same course to only see their own students in their class and multiple classes are using the same course?

My apologies - I assumed you were using 'class' as an alternative term for 'course'.

I'm sorry I don't know of a solution to provide that level of granular control - you can of course group the students and let them only see the activities and  resources for that group, but I'm not sure whether you can restrict the teacher access through groups in that way, as 'teachers' would normally be given full control of the course they are teaching on.

Perhaps if you create a new role - based on the student role and then go through and give that role the additional rights it would need: but then I'm not sure if that would cause it to be opened up and be able to see the other students then anyway. thoughtful

The other solution is to duplicate the courses and have separate ones for each class/school so that you can use the solution I originally posted.

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Daniel Wolff -

I agree that having separate "courses" seems like the easiest solution.  If you want to have teachers only see their own students you can modify the teacher permissions or clone the teacher role and modify the following permission:

Access all groups

The gradebook view unfortunately still allows teachers to see all students (I think).

Attachment Screen Shot 2013-03-27 at 9.38.58 AM.png
In reply to Daniel Wolff

by Jean-Michel Frouin -

Thanks all for your fast answers !

Access all groups seem a good idea smile

Thanks