The moodle blogging tool - A fresh look?

Re: The moodle blogging tool - A fresh look?

by Mark Andrews -
Number of replies: 0

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your response. Perhaps i'm looking at it from a slightly odd angle in that i've been searching for a way in moodle for students to make notes or posts, that are attached or related to an activity, course & personal tags in a manner that the results could be used collaboratively and share or for personal note taking, recording and archiving. - I guess a kind of e-portfolio lite that is built into moodle.

Looking at requirements above - the moodle blog seems to tick the boxes but in the reality of using the current system, I find the interface particularly for finding and searching for posts confusing specifically:

• The 'blog tags block' displays different results depending on where I am in the site;
    • homepage - blank
    • within blog/index - fully populated
    • within a course  - only items tagged at course level, not tags made within the course for example for an activity 

It would be great if as you navigated through the site your tag list would 'drill down' with you so at site level you get all your tags, at course level all tags that related to the course and activities within it and at activity level tags related just to the activity.
  • The 'blog menu block'  has some quite wordy links and not very inspiring; perhaps the block could be more user & context aware for example: instead of 'view my entries about this course' it could be '3 entries made at this level' (or something better but you get the idea).

This block could also 'drill-down' with you as you navigate the site.

Finally...A new function could be for it to display links to posts made by others at the various levels that students/staff could then comment on thus allowing for discussion and collaboration around resources and activities in situ.

This could off course only be me - hence my original question regarding how people are using it. But it seems that it's technically there but just needs some refinement. What do others think? i'm really intrigued now!

Thanks

Mark