We've been dealing with data disappearing from our gradebooks for over a month. I think we've officially hit the limit of technical expertise with our Moodle partner, so I'm hoping someone out there in the community can help. I know this is probably too technical of a problem for anyone to solve without access to our server, but even ideas on places I could suggest technical support look would be appreciated.
Our primary grading setup is unusual. We have a significant number of assignments set to No grade in the main grade field, but with three outcomes attached.
In mid-February, one of our admins was going through assignments with quick grading on and saving each one. There was a bug in 2.2 that prevented comments from appearing in the user report if the assignment was set to No grade like ours were. We upgraded to 2.3 in December, which fixes all comments added moving forward, but none of the old comments showed up unless someone opened them up and hit "save" again without changing anything.
Problem #1: Comments and outcome scores deleted by quick saving without changing anything
In a few instances, when the admin hit save, all comments and outcome scores were deleted. Our partner was able to retrieve the scores (but not comments) via the grade history tables). Does anyone know why a save in quick grading without changing anything would clear out all the data on a page? Even though we got the data back, we'd like to know what caused this so we can prevent it from happening again.
This happened in 3 different assignments, all in the same course. However, it didn't happen for all assignments in that course. The assignments all seem to have the same settings whether saving saved data or cleared it.
Problem #2: Comments are saved in the assignment table but not always the grade table
Even in the assignments above where they were able to retrieve the outcome scores, they weren't able to retreive the feedback comments. I went back to a December backup (before we upgraded from 2.2 to 2.3) and got the comments from there.
In that same gradebook, there are some comments for assignments that I can view when I open up the assignment itself but don't appear in the gradebook. Technical support says those comments are stored in the assignment table but not the grade table. They confirmed that we are set to have data copy from the assignment table to the grade table, but sometimes that isn't happening. It's not consistent though; most of the time it works, but once in a while it doesn't save correctly. Technical support has been able to replicate the problem, but not consistently, and we can't figure out the pattern.
- What could have caused the initial data loss during a quick save?
- What could prevent the comments from saving to the grade table?
- Is there any other place data could be stored besides the assignment and grade tables? We're still missing some data, and our partner can't find it.
- What else should we be checking (either what I can check from the Moodle interface side of things or what technical support should check on the server)?
- Is there anything we can do to prevent data loss in the future? We're going to change our backup schedule, including exporting to another location so we don't have to trust our partner to do backups (since they're losing data), but it would be better to prevent data loss in the first place.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As you can probably imagine, losing data from the gradebooks is a pretty significant problem, and we're very concerned about the integrity of grade data moving forward.