Ideas needed for improving the database settings page

Ideas needed for improving the database settings page

by Helen Foster -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Dear Database activity users,

You may have a heard elsewhere about a new feature coming in Moodle 2.5 - collapsible forms. You can see them in action on the QA testing site.

Consequently, many of the activity settings pages now need some reorganising in order to make the most of this new functionality.

Please find attached screenshot of Fred's suggested database settings page reorganisation (MDL-38590), with two new sections, 'Entries' and 'Availability', plus a few small changes to some setting names. If you have any comments, suggestions for further improvement, or ideas for other ways of reorganising it, please let us know. smile

Attachment bonfire-screenshot-20130326-123002-810.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Ideas needed for improving the database settings page

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'm just thinking that the settings in the 'Entries' section could be reordered so that the settings most likely to be changed are at the top i.e.

Entries
Approval required
Allow comments on entries
Entries required for completion
Entries required before viewing
Maximum number of entries

Also it seems that the RSS feed setting doesn't fit so well under 'Entries'. I wonder if it's worth having it in a section called 'RSS' so that it's consistent with glossary and forum settings, or whether a section containing only one item is not so good?

In reply to Helen Foster

by Stuart Mealor -

Thanks Helen smile

Yes, I've been following the re-design discussion.
Swings and roundabouts for us - because ALL our training courses will need updating (screenshots and movies) - even though there is no actual change in functionality here - just "where things are".  Lot of work.

Anyway...

RSS could go in it's own section.
It doesn't really matter that there would be only one item, it's much better to be consistent across major activities.

Stu

In reply to Helen Foster

by Paula Clough -

Helen,

Moving the comments and approval to the top does sense as those seem to be used the most often.  I think that having the continuity between the different module setting pages would make it worth having the RSS by itself in a section.  It makes sense when having the options in the sections hidden until the section is clicked on to have that continuity. It would make training easier for new users.

Paula cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Helen Foster -

Thanks Stuart and Paula for your comments. Here's how the database settings page now looks:

Attachment bonfire-screenshot-20130328-105950-389.png