Planet Theme Series

Planet Theme Series

by Gordon McLeod -
Number of replies: 23

Please use this forum topic to discuss the 'planet' theme series and make any suggestions for improvements.

The planet themes are a set of ten 2-column themes aimed at providing a range of colour and contrast schemes primarily (but not exclusively) for accessibility.

The first theme in the series, Mercury is under review for inclusion in the themes plugin database - the rest will be made available following the submission process as soon as this is approved.

Regards, Gordon.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gordon McLeod

Re: Planet Theme Series

by Gordon McLeod -

All 10 'Planet' themes for 2.4 are now available to download via Github or the Plugins area on Moodle.org - https://moodle.org/plugins/search.php?s=%27Planet%27

As they were primarily designed with visual impairment and dyslexia in mind these themes are intended to be used as a set to provide individual choice, but some are suitable to use as standalone site themes.

Re: Planet Theme Series

by sue sugizaki -

Hi,

Thanks.

I've already installed Mercury and started testnings things on it= meddling w/ it.

Could be good if there's Theme Settings page or other Planet themes should do?

Sue

block settings icons don't appear (mercury)

by sue sugizaki -

The block settings icons don't appear.

Attachment 1.jpg
In reply to sue sugizaki

Re: block settings icons don't appear (mercury)

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Gordon,

Do all the themes in the series have the same underlying structure and its only the css colour scheme that changes?

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by sue sugizaki -

Hi,

I've changed the backgroud colour and discovered that Block settings icons show up when the cursor's over the place where the settings icons are...

When the cursor's off the place,

When the cursor's over the place,

Q: is it supposed to be like this???

In reply to sue sugizaki

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Sue,

Try adding this to either the core.css (if it exists or another css file will do) or to the settings page CSS if it exists...

.block .header .commands .icon img {
    background-color: #F3F8ED; /* adds light green background */
    border: 2px solid #3B4C25; /* adds 2px dark green border */
    border-radius: 5px; /* adds rounded corners in modern browsers */
    height: 12px;
    margin-right: 3px;
    padding: 2px; /* adds padding to icon */
    width: 12px;
}

This adds color/padding to the icons.

The reason you cannot see the icons is becouse they are grey where once they were coloured icon images.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by sue sugizaki -

Hi, Mary.

Still the same. I need to put the cursor over the place to see the icons.

Before

After

In reply to sue sugizaki

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Sue, the summary in the plugins database says they use the autohide function for the editing buttons so I think this is the expected behaviour

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by sue sugizaki -

Hi,

Ah, now I know what autohide means in this theme.

I've removed it and all the settings icons showed up.

by Gordon McLeod -

Hi Richard,

Thanks for confirming with Sue about the autohide - the intended behaviour is that icons only show up when you actively rollover an editable activity, so it reduces visual clutter on a page when someone is editing.

by Richard Oelmann -

I've only looked at the first 5 Gareth, but yes that appears to be the case

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks Richard smile

Gordon, I wonder if it is worth implementing some sort of css switcher and reducing ten themes down to one and then have the user choose the css set to use.  This is because in my experience, creating something is far less time consuming than maintaining something.  This is why I stopped developing the Collapsed Weeks course format and placed all of the functionality within Collapsed Topics despite the effort.

Cheers,

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Richard Oelmann -

I guess that would work in the same way as the switcher in Splash and call the appropriate colour scheme css file in the same way.

by Gordon McLeod -

Just to add - next bit of work on this is to switch theme without leaving the current page, and save selected theme to the user profile preference. I used navigation dropdown menu for this originally but as you can't script theme changes in Moodle 2 menu (unlike 1.9) it defaults to the home page every time you change theme.

I should have this sorted by the time I rollout a 2.5 version of the theme.

Regards, Gordon.

by Gordon McLeod -

Hi Gareth,

Yes - I did consider having a single theme that could be switched, but didn't quite get around to it for this version. Hopefully I'll have a chance to update this for 2.5 later in the summer and will implement a switcher version then.

Regards, Gordon.

Planet Themes - home button

by Gordon McLeod -

Please note that you will need to replace the URL in the line <a class="logo" title="Home" href="http://inspire.rcs.ac.uk/"> with the correct url for the homepage of your own Moodle site. This line of code can be found in three places:
layout\frontpage.php (line 52)
layout\general.php (line 53)
layout\report.php (line 44)

Regards, Gordon.

Re: Planet Themes - home button

by Richard Oelmann -

If you correct it in the themes to use the $cfg->wwwroot value then it wouldn't need editing for each individual install, it would just pick it up from the site

e.g. from afterburner

<a class="logo" href="<?php echo $CFG->wwwroot; ?>" title="<?php print_string('home'); ?>"></a>

Richard

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Re: Planet Themes - home button

by Gordon McLeod -

Richard,

Thanks - it was originally built as an institutional theme and I'd forgotten the link was hard coded until someone asked. I'll update with the suggested change in the next couple of days and post the revised version on github and Moodle plugins.

Much appreciated, Gordon.

Planet Themes - Updated version

by Gordon McLeod -

The planet series have now been updated to version 1.1

https://moodle.org/plugins/search.php?s=planet

Amended hardcoded home url to reference site home instead
Added css for making table internal lines visible as per Moodle Tracker issue MDL-27774
Updated css to make editing buttons on blocks more visible

Re: Planet Themes - Updated version

by Ellen Kinsel -

Can I use the current version with Moodle 2.5? If not, when do you expect to have an updated version available?

In reply to Ellen Kinsel

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi, If a theme works on 2.4, then it will work in 2.5.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gordon McLeod -

Hi,

Just to say I've updated the Earth theme from the planet series and tested with Moodle 2.6 and 2.7.

The required change was very minor (it only affected one of the links on the Moodlebar), and I'll update the other themes as soon as I have a chance over the summer. More time permitting I'll completely rewrite this as a single theme which can switch between the different colour schemes in the series, but this summer already has a heavy workload (don't they all).

Regards, Gordon.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Mary Evans -

That would be great...but do find time to enjoy the summer!

Take care

Mary