Custom edufields

Custom edufields

by Dirk Meyer -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

we have a growing community of moodle operators interested in publishing into each other's hubs. I'd like to make the selction of edufields for shared courses to be more specific to our provincial curriculum. A quick glance at the code reviels that this could be done by modifying /lang/en/edufields.php ?

What would be a best approach to allow this for a growing number of moodle instances? Is it a matter of replacing the file? If so, I doubt some admins may be hesitent to do that. How would a modification affect publishing to other hubs not part of this group? Could this be managed via a separate plugin?

Thanks in advance.

Dirk 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dirk Meyer

Re: Custom edufields

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hello Dirk,
I've checked the structure of edufields a little bit. The structure is a hierarchical construction that is hardcoded at the end. 

If you want to change the lnag file you can do it but you have to do it on eaxh system. The community search is based on the lang structure in the client system. 

My suggestion is to use the description and to try search by structured information there. 

ralf

In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Dirk Meyer -

Thanks Ralf,

we did a quick test and changed the file but the original terms would still appear. The challenge is going to be to have something that other admins could comfortably install on their moodle. Right now the interest is great but being able to adjust this is quite important.

In reply to Dirk Meyer

by Uwe Klemm -

Hi,

same problem here. We'd like to adjust category descriptions to our local requirements. We tried to find where categories are defined. 2 things are a bit confusing: If I try to register with Mooch, I do get German categories. That could mean that either Mooch offers multiple language versions and delivers the appropriate one. Or categories do not come from the community hub as such, but either from the respective Moodle instance or is fetched real-time from moodle.org or Mooch. ounds weird, but there is one more thing that hints towards that: There seem to be category descriptions in /lang/eng/edufields.php in the Moodle instance - not the Hub Server! That could mean, that category descriptions are hardcoded into each Moodle instance and cannot really be altered in the hub, right?

Just wondering... It just would be nice if we were able to change category descriptions for a larger hub...

Any help is greatly welcome.