Placing an assignment not allowing a submission.

Placing an assignment not allowing a submission.

by Gary Sutcliff -
Number of replies: 9

This is an in-class demonstration and I do not want students submitting anything into Moodle yet I do want the notice to appear in the list of upcoming events in the left border.  Is there an activity that will do this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gary Sutcliff

Re: Placing an assignment not allowing a submission.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What version of Moodle are you using Gary? In Moodle2.3+ with the new assign module you could set the assignment with no file submissions and no online text (the equivalent of setting an offline assignemnt activity).

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Gary Sutcliff -

2.2 or 2.3, not sure.  I don't think it is 2.3+

Is there any other option that will give an entry in the Upcoming Events list?

by Vernellia Randall -

Yes, make a calendar entry for the assignment. It will be on their calendar as a reminder and it will show up in the upcoming events.

In reply to Vernellia Randall

by Gary Sutcliff -

I do not see an option for a "Calendar Entry" either in Add a Resource or in Add an Activity..

How do I create one?

by Richard Oelmann -

Sorry - I meant the new assign module in 2.3 and above smile

The older assignments module though also had an 'Offline Assignment' type where you could set an assignment that had nothing to submit, but which would still allow you to post a grade for the assignment when it was completed.

Richard

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Gary Sutcliff -

Offline Assignment seems to work but now I guess my question is how long does the assignment remain in the upcoming events list?  Without weekly playing with updating the due date, is it possible to set an announcement to remain in the list for a longer period of time?

One example is to place an entry to remind students to be sure to check the main page for activities and to not rely on the "Upcoming Events" list for all information.  Reminders of long term assignments would also be nice to post.

by Richard Oelmann -

If your students use (could use?) the My page, then the open assignments are listed there with the courses they are enrolled on, with none of the conditions from the Upcoming events, such as number of events to display or time into the future to look, which are all designed to control the size of the block by preventing the number of events on there from being excessive.

by Gary Sutcliff -

My students have told me that there is an ap available, is that this My Page you mention?

by Richard Oelmann -

http://yourmoodlesite/my - its the user's own home page on the site.