General Announcements for Multiple Courses

General Announcements for Multiple Courses

by Kelly Becker -
Number of replies: 1

I have a couple of questions regarding announcements that need to happen OUTSIDE the course but not at the SITE level.  We are using Moodle 2.4.  Thanks!

1) Elementary level teachers have 5 courses for a single class of all of the same students.  When a teacher wants to make an announcement to the class that is not course related but class related (Reminder: Wear a Funny Hat Day is Friday!), is there a way to make an announcement OUTSIDE the course but not SITE-wide?

2) Is there a block on the My Courses pages that would show the Latest News from the News Forums within the courses.  The Latest News block seems to only show the Site News on the My Courses page.

3) A teacher teaches 5 sections of the SAME course (5 courses in moodle).  Is there a way to make an announcement once and have it be available to ALL sections easily or would the teacher need to copy it into EACH News Forum for each section.  Just wondering if there is a speedier way to accomplish the task.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kelly Becker

Re: General Announcements for Multiple Courses

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Kelly,

The site wide forum is global because the 'site' is actually a special course and therefore can have a forum associated with it.  But I do not believe that a 'category' which would be the inferred container of the five courses you speak of is a 'course' and therefore could not have a 'forum' which is an activity added to it.

So, you could have a forum on a 'Meta-course' that was used to contain the five courses (also makes enrollment easier) -> docs.moodle.org/24/en/Course_meta_link <- which would contain the single announcements forum.  Or try out this block -> https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=block_forum_aggregator <- but I'm not sure if it has the capability to span several courses.

Cheers,

Gareth