Roles and permissions

Category Permissions & Courses in 2.4

Picture of Graham Stone
Category Permissions & Courses in 2.4
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Good Morning,

I've just come accross a strange problem in 2.4 which I suspect could be a bug but before I report it on the tracker thought I'd check here first.

The problem is around category level permissions and course permissions. I have given somebody the role of 'Teacher' at the category level but when they try and access the course it won't let them in and is telling them the the course is not enrolable even though they are listed as a Teacher on the course description page.  It appears that a permission set at category level isn't fully filtering through to the course.

Thanks,

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Graham Stone
Re: Category Permissions & Courses in 2.4

Hey,

Has anybody else come accross this before as i've still not found a solution for it?

Cheers,

Picture of Andrea Bicciolo
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi Graham,

when you say you assigned the teacher role at category level, it means you altered the definition of teacher role globally, ticking "Category" on "Context types where this role may be assigned" ?  Did you try to assign the Manager role at category level instead ?

Picture of Graham Stone

Hi Andrea,

Yes I had to alter this role definition as I discovered that it no longer appeared as an option by default.  No I haven't tried the Manager role as i'm not entirely sure what this new role type is supposed to do.  All I want to do is give people the teacher role at category level to save me having to add them to each course.  What I am trying to achieve was very simple pre Moodle 2.

Can I now not do this in 2.4?

Cheers,

Picture of Andrea Bicciolo
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators
Hi Graham,

default Moodle 2.x roles you should assign at Category or Site level are Manager and Course Creator. However, you may want to check Category enrollments, I never used it but looks probably what you are seeking for, given the limits stated in the same documentation page and other preferred enrollment methods available in Moodle 2.x, such as Cohort enrollments : http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Category_enrolments

There is also an older thread on the same topic https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=177181

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Graham  I remember having this problem but then working it out - have you set  set to "allow" the capability enrol/category:synchronised for the teacher role  in Settings > Site Administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles? If you have, and it still doesn't give them access, let me know and I will have a go on 2.4 myself. I have done this on earlier versions but not 2.4

Picture of Graham Stone

Thanks Mary, I'd never of found that setting.  I've made this change now and it appears to have worked.

It does seem that some things that have changd in Moodle 2 have made things more more difficult.  Surley it would make more sense to have these settings made default like they were pre-moodle 2.

Thanks,

Picture of Graham Stone

Good Afternoon,

For some strange reason this problem that I thought I'd sorted by following Mary's advice above has reared it's ugly head again sad

Please can somebody help with this?

Cheers,