quiz submission, Email notification not working

quiz submission, Email notification not working

by Matthew Stockinger -
Number of replies: 2

Hoping for a moodle guru on this one!

I am running the latest moodle 2.4.2.  I am the only site admin and I am the only teacher of all of the courses on the site.  I have enrolled myself as the teacher of each course.  I have enabled mod/quiz:emailnotifysubmission for the teacher role.  My smtp settings are correct; test emails work.

When a student submits a test, I don't get the notification, though.  I have control panel and shell access to my host, but I'm not sure where to check to see if those emails are being sent by moodle (I'd like to know if it's a moodle issue, or if the emails are getting stopped later on their path).

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps moodle won't send these notifications if the teacher is also a site admin (though I can't imagine why not).  Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matthew Stockinger

Re: quiz submission, Email notification not working

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You should test other types of email that Moodle sends. For example, subscribe to a forum, then make a post in that forum. Or send a message to yourself through the Moodle messaging system.

In reply to Matthew Stockinger

Re: quiz submission, Email notification not working

by Matthew Stockinger -

Did some more testing on a development site, using test users and teachers, and multiple recipient email servers.  I now believe the issue is that moodle modifies the email header to make it appear that the notification is being sent from the student.  This causes my work email to reject the email, thinking it's either spam or malicious. 

The same quiz notification comes through just fine to teachers who have gmail addresses listed in moodle.

I am unaware of a way to change this behavior, other than customizing the code.  I think it would make more sense for the email to come from noreply.  Also, I don't know much about email headers, but according to Google, it's possible to add some security info to the header, so that the receiving email server won't freak out.  If anyone has dealt with this, I'd be happy to hear about it.

-Matt