General help

Picture of Barb Hall
Everything all screwed up after upgrade

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and moodle, and hope you can help me.

With the help of "softaculous" and my hosting company, I recently upgraded from Moodle 1.9 to what I thought was version 2.4.  Looking at my site at the version under "admin/notifications", it says I am only at 2.0 build 20120706.

Prior to the upgrade, things were running really well.  I had enabled Javascript and included several applets in my pages, and had a consistent appearance regarding font styles and sizes.  I had full access to the admin functions.  I had embedded several multi-media files in a course and they worked well.

Now, after the upgrade, everything is all screwed up.  My font sizes and styles are different, and inconsistent.  My javascript no longer works, and my multi-media files don't display anymore.  But the worst thing of all is that most of my admin functions only display a blank page.

I have searched your faq and forum pages for similar problems, but I'm afraid it is all greek to me, and I don't know where to start.  

I'm hoping I can get specific instructions as to where to look, and what settings might have changed so dramatically in such an upgrade. I've tried running debugging for the blank page problem, and only get a blank page.

I'd be happy to create an admin id for anyone who would like to look further into this with me.

Please help!

Thank you in advance,

Barb

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Frank B
Re: Everything all screwed up after upgrade

I hope you made a backup. I've done several of these and it's no picnic. There are a number of things that have been issues. Ranging from PHP memory and execution time limits to the just strange. Since a history of what has or hasn't been done to your setup is nearly impossible (unless you have total recall of everything). So really all the prep-work is really important. Backups, converting to UTF-8, database coalation, table optmizations, etc. I recall my upgrade script taking over 2 hours to run when going from 1.9 to 2.0. Also instead of making a backup, I think I was using a copy of the site, database and data, and put my original site into maintenance, so when I made the switch to the migrated site copy, there would be no missing files/forum entries/etc. I would also recommend to copy you LOG table to another database and wipe it from the soon to be migrated site. That LOG table was what took the longest to migrate, and has been pretty much useless to my sites as no-one really uses it. Go into your XML DB editor in development and execute any SQL DB fixes you find there. These things should help you smooth out the bumps during the upgrades. Also a progressive upgrade is recommended. I would go from 1.9 to 2.0(latest stable) then upgrade to the latest stable version of every branch. I know it's alot of work, trust me I know, but it's what has work flawlessly for me. Other might feel differently on the matter, But my motto is better safe than sorry. Plus once into the 2.0+ versions the upgrades are a sinch. Good Luck.

Picture of Barb Hall

Thanks for your reply Frank.  I did make a backup, but what it included, I"m not sure.

Are you suggesting that I go back to 1.9?  If so, how would I do this?  I haven't found any documentation on how to uninstall moodle.

Thanks,

Barb

Picture of Frank B

Yes, I highly recommend you go back to version 1.9 and contract a moodle professional's help.

Picture of Lawrence Ng

Barb,

Prior to the upgrade did your hosting company make a full backup of your moodle 1.9.x database before they upgraded it? A .sql file if you will.

Frank is correct is that there a number of issues that need to checked prior to an upgrade and it won't do justice to discuss them on just this thread. Things like database schema, inconsistent records, etc.

Picture of Barb Hall

Hi Lawrence, and thanks for your reply.

The upgrade script did prompt me to make a backup, which I did, but whether it includes the sql, I'm not sure.

Is there a way to go back to version 1.9, and do it in stages as has been suggested?

I am a newbie to all of this, so you may have to spell it out for me, I"m afraid.

Thanks,

Barb

Picture of Ken Task
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Mind disclosing more information on these two:

"softaculous" - your hosting provider had a 'button' to upgrade 1.9's to 2.x?

"my hosting company": Who, specifically, is that?

There really isn't any 'upgrade' from 1.9.x to 2.x.  2.x is a massive re-write of code thus behavior, etc..  Moodle does describe a 'migration' in documentation and does mention much preparation to attempting a 1.9.x migration to a 2.x (BTW, don't think it's recommended to migrate from 1.9.x in a hyperjump to 2.4.x.  New changes have been introduced ever since the release of 2.0 ... in 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4.

Would suggest your hosting provider review

http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Moodle_migration

especially if you paid for that service.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Barb Hall

Hi Ken, thanks for your reply. My hosting company is "ifastnet", and yes, it was literally as simple as pushing a button to execute a script by "softaculous" to upgrade Moodle.  I was prompted to do a backup, which I did, and have downloaded that file to my pc.

I've been thinking it might be easier to just start from scratch, just not sure how to go about that without losing all of my course data.  I'm currently the only user as an admin (no students, or teachers), so rebuilding that database shouldn't be too hard.

What a mess!

Thanks,

Barb

Picture of Brijesh Kothari

Hi,

I am from the Softaculous team. In order to upgrade to Moodle 2.4 you atleast need to have Moodle version 2.2+ and since your version was 1.9 Softaculous upgraded the installtion to the Moodle version 2.0 as it is not possible to upgrade from 1.9 to 2.4

If it was possible to upgrade from your version to 2.0 as well as 2.4 you would have got a dropdown to choose to which version you want to upgrade.

If you had taken a backup before upgrading via Softaculous you may refer to the following guide on how to restore a backup :

http://www.softaculous.com/docs/How_to_Restore_a_Backup

If you face any issues you can open a support ticket with use we will resolve the issue.

Picture of Barb Hall

Hi Brijesh,

Thanks for the info.  I checked out the link you provided, but when I click on the overview button from my moodle's softaculous page, nothing happens, it just stays on the install page.  I tried opening overview in a new tab, and it just goes to a blank page.  So I don't see the restore option at all, as was mentioned in the link.

But I think there are still problems, if it was upgraded to 2.0 from 1.9, then I'm still having problems with formatting etc. On my moodle softaculous page, it says I'm at version 2.4.1.  A bit confusing to me.

I'm opening up a ticket with softaculous as you suggested.  I'm on the page now but don't know what some fields are.  Could you let me know where to find them?

IP

Port

User that can SSH

Password of user that can SSH

Root password

My moodle is hosted at a hosting company, would I get this info from my control panel? I don't see any of this info on the main control panel page.

Thanks, 

Barb

Regards,

Barb

Picture of Lawrence Ng

If you read the link that Brijesh provided, it says that users have to back it up themselves first.

Barb, do you remember doing that? Did you back it up before you tried to upgrade?

Picture of Barb Hall

Hi Lawrence

OK, I did do a backup of 1.9.9 when I upgraded, but couldn't see it anywhere.  I then did a backup of the current version which took me to a backup page, where I could see the backup of version 1.9.9, and the one I just did of version 2.0.10.

I've since discovered that my problems are path related.  Certain images I refer to are missing because the right path was not specified.  My media files aren't playing because I had installed jwplayer in 1.9.9 and was using the chameleon theme where it was installed, which doesn't exist in 2.0.10.  So I don't know what the default theme is, but my media player wasn't migrated to whatever that default theme is.  Easy enough to install in a new theme, which I've se;lected as standard to keep things simple for now.

I believe my javascript problems are there for two reasons.  I would have created a new css class for a mouseover to produce a certain function (a tooltip), and included an additional css and js file in the <head> portion of the site, and  I guess that wasn't migrated either and the class referred to didn't exist.  I remember being able to specify whether javascript is allowed from site administration, and checking yes in 1.9.9  But now, I can't access that page because most of the site administration functions don't work for me, even with a new theme.

What file would the <head> portion be in in the standard theme?

So even though the version displayed on the softaculous page says 2.4.1, it really is 2.0.10.

My fonts are still messed up, there is a lot of inconsistence of font style and size that were uniform in the 1.9.9 version, which may be related to the css file.

Any suggestions how to proceed from here?  My biggest concern here is the inability to access many site administrative functions.

Barb

Picture of Barb Hall

I did some searching and noticed that there is a function to change html or add html through site administration, appearance, additional html, an I could use this to add my css and js file reference in the head section.  But as mentioned previously, when I click on this, I only have a blank page.

Checking the documentation, it states that the blank page problem may be something to do with problems with activity modules or blocks during an upgrade, but I'm not sure which one is causing the problem.

Any suggestions?

Barb

Picture of Barb Hall

Oh boy, do I ever need everyone's help right now.  I decided to go back to version 1.9.9, and now I've lost all of my courses.  I can't get into any admin functions at all, and the only thing I seem to have is one course category (which is all I had), and the ability to sign in.  

I've submitted a support ticket to softaculous, but haven't heard back.

Please help!

Picture of Brijesh Kothari

Hi,

There was an issue with the upgrade because it seems that the installation was imported to Softaculous and the config file had many unwanted spaces due to which the database details were not fetched by Softaculous and due to this Softaculous was unable to execute the queries during upgrade process due to which upgrade failed.

I have upgraded your installation and your installation now works fine with the version 2.0.10

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Picture of Barb Hall

Hi Brijesh

I received your message via softaculous, and thanks for restoring it for me, but I still have the problem of being unable to access many site administration functions.

I discovered that when I upgraded to 2.0.10 that resulted in several warnings about non-standard activities and blocks.  It was ok to continue with the upgrade with these warnings, but learned that in Moodle Documentation, the most liekly cause is the presence of these non-standard activities or blocks.  The ones I saw in the upgrade are 

book, hotpot, lams, journal, mplayer, questionnaire

I can';t see these activities when I look at the /mod directory or when I access manage blocks/activities from moodle so I don't know how to delete them.

I got a plugins check page doing the upgrade with the title

"The following tables show the modules, blocks and filters that have been detected in your current Moodle installation; They indicate which plugins are standard, and which are not. All non-standard plugins should be checked and upgraded to their most recent versions before continuing with this Moodle upgrade".

Barb

Picture of Rick Jerz

Barb, I have been watching these posts and don't know if I can help.  Here is what I suggest for you.

1) Keep trying to get back to where you were.  It appears that your 1.9 had a number of modules/add-ins that may not be supported in 2.0+.  Good luck.

2) If you really want to move to a newer 2.x version of moodle, consider doing it on another domain and/or server.  Keep your current moodle alive and active.  Make a copy of your database and your moodledata folder.  Then, try installing these on your new (experimental) server following the recommended steps (you will find these steps in the docs, I believe).

Quite honestly, when I moved from 1.9 to 2.0x (whatever it was at the time 1 1/2 years ago) I decided to do a clean install of Moodle 2.x.  Then, I tried moving my courses over to it (one by one).  There were enough changes in 2.0 to make me cautious of this upgrade.  My moodle is small, however.  I only had to move around a half-dozen courses.

When I did my upgrade, I did not have the benefit of all of the experience, and instructional steps, that are now available.

I forgot step 3.

3) When you have your experimental moodle running, you can then move this to your production environment, or change your DNS to point to your new moodle, or something like this.

Picture of Barb Hall

Hi Rick, and thanks for your post.

I thought of doing what you suggested, but I've since discovered that I cannot go back to 1.9.9 because the database was switched to 2.0.10 and no backup was made of it prior to the upgrade.  I foolishly believed that softaculous backups would do everything, but they didn't.

However, thanks to softaculous, I npow have a partially working 2.0.10 version up now (with the exception of the site administration) and like you, I only have data from about 4 courses to capture and save on a local machine, with images and other multimedia, and so far I'm the only user.

Once I've captured everything I'm going to get my hosting company to uninstall moodle and reinstall a more current version, then I'll manually copy everything from my documents to the newer version.

What an eye opener this has been, hopefully any upgrades after this will be so much easier.  Thank goodness this isn't a live site, yet....

Regards,

Barb

Picture of Frank B

Keep trying to get back to 1.9 on your production domain and put your converted 2.0 on a subdomain, That way while you replace your hotpot, LMS , and other modules and make sure everything is working, you aren't DOWN. Then switch over to it when you are comfortable that things work the way you want them to.  This is what should have been done from the beginning. When doing a MAJOR VERSION upgrade always do it on a copy of your original site, not your production site. Then you can discover and work out the kinks in the process and find the updates to the modules necessary to make things work right, and alter the PHP settings so that the upgrade works correctly. Also, you should disable any security or limiting add-ons on your apache during the upgrade, like MOD_SECURITY, MOD_BWSHARE, etc,  You will be using more that your fair share of resources while executing the upgrade.

I keep a vanilla configured server just for this purpose. I can move scripts and databases to it and run  upgrades and stuff like that on it without disturbing my customized configs on my production servers.

Also get yourself a sys admin. This is why we exist. We plan, test and execute these upgrades.

Picture of Barb Hall

Thanks Frank.

In my reply to Rick above, my plan is to go with a more current version of moodle because I just can't waste any more time on trying to fix this, a clean install might be best.  I'm not live with these courses yet, so the urgency is not the same as if I were, but once I've captured all my course materials locally, I plan on leaving 1.9.9 and 2.0.10 in my rear view mirror.

And of course, I will bear all of your helpful suggestions in mind and back up everything.  In triplicate!

Regards,

Barb

Picture of Rick Jerz

Barb, as a review, might you be able to tell us what you think you have backup up?  For example, do you have a backup of any mySQL databases?  The moodledata directory?  Courses?

If you get something going, you might want to try course backups immediately.  Then, we might be able to try restoring one of these course backups if we think we know what version of moodle they are in.  I have got a couple experimental installs of various versions of Moodle running on a practice server.  I could try restoring one of these courses just to see what happens.

Picture of Barb Hall

Hi Rick

I did not specifically do a backup of my sql database, I think the only thing that was done was everything in my moodle subdirectory, including moodledata, courses, forums, etc.

I'm transferring everything that I can see on my 2.0.10 version now to a document, and am planning on having my hosting company do a clean install of 2.4.x when I'm done with that.  As curious as I am to find a solution to the problem, and at the rate I'm going, I'll be able to manually transfer courses faster than trying to find a solution for such an old version of moodle and getting administrative privileges back.

But thanks for your offer.  Do you have a 1.9.9 version running by chance? ;)

Picture of Rick Jerz

The moodle sql database and the moodledata directory kind of go together, so it might be hard to do a restore without a matching set.

Since you only have a few courses, then yes, it is probably just as easy to recreate them manually.  In fact, doing some of this from scratch will give you a chance to learn some of the new features in Moodle 2.4.  I would never want to go back to 1.9.19.

I have my old 1.9.19+ running, which is like an archive of what I did with my moodle for the first 2 to three years.  I can pull it up anytime and reference it.  I also have experimental copies of 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4 running.  I could always install another experimental copy of the latest 1.9.19+, if needed. 

Might I ask who your hosting company is?

Picture of Frank B

Her host is "ifastnet" and she used an installer script called "softaculous"(softaculous.com) to manage and upgrade her installation. Obviously doing a complete backup (sql/home dir/data dir) is not part of their script.

It's just a gang-up of errors. I hope she starts all over again with 2.4 and learns a lesson. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP. Her site is not in produccion, so I would guess she has the time to put into it.

Picture of Rick Jerz

Thanks Frank, I did not notice "ifastnet" up above.

I assume that based upon these posts, that ifastnet meets all the requirements to run 2.4.2.

Picture of Barb Hall

Hi Rick, yes they do, and have offered to do the install of 2.4.1 for me when I give them the green light to do so.  I am very thankful for everyone's help with this problem.

I'm almost finishing capturing the courses I've done so far, and am looking forward to a nice clean install with a bunch of new features!

Cheers,

Barb

Picture of Rick Jerz

Okay, you are moving along.

When you get a moment, start exploring your backup options.  See what it will take to backup your mySQL database, and the moodledata directory.  Also try backing up your courses.

As you learn more, you might see if you can FTP, and SSH into your account.  Eventually, some tasks will become easier to you via SSH.

Good luck to you.

Picture of Barb Hall

hi eeveryone is it possible to import the questions in the question bank into moodle 2.4?  I've copied all my course data, but the questions are taking a long time to capture manually.  My current version is 2.0.10.

if so, can anyone tell me how to do this?

i looked in the questions FAQ documentation but couldn't see anything about it.

thanks in advance

Barb

Picture of Rick Jerz

You might try exporting the questions as Moodle XML, then import as Moodle XML.  You might loose some graphics, however.  Give it a try with one or two questions and see if you have success.

Picture of Barb Hall

Hi Rick

I thought of that but unfortunately one of the functions I've lost in site administration is the import/export capability from/to the question bank. All I get is a blank page.

Barb

Picture of Rick Jerz

Oops, I forgot that you cannot go back to 1.9.  Hmmm, I don't know what to tell you.  Maybe Tim Hunt will have some thoughts for you.  He is the quiz engine expert.

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

That functionality is not lost. It works fine, even importing questions exported from 1.9.

If you are getting a blank page, that means an error occurred, and you should turn on Debugging to find out what the error is.

Picture of Barb Hall

HI Frank, yes this has been like the proverbial small snowball at the top of a hill, that just kept getting bigger and ended up too big for me to handle!

Thanks for your advice about backing up, will definitely do that more regularly from now on.

Cheers,

Barb

Picture of Dr. Nellie Deutsch

I can relate to the title of the post. After about 10 years of using Moodle on my own without any Moodle support, I'm ready to quit because of a recent  upgrade. I upgraded to Moodle 2.4.1 and cannot use my Moodle anymore. I now log in as a  teacher because logging in as admin takes forever. The site starts off fast and then slows down to a halt. Everything was fine before the upgrade. I wish there was someone out there who would be able to help. 

Picture of Rick Jerz

What version of Moodle were you running before upgrading?  How did you do your upgrade?

I have been running Moodle on a VPS for around 3 years.  Been upgrading all along.  I wonder if I have been lucky not running into these 'slow" problems.

Picture of Richard Bakos

This is could very well have something to do with your server setting not matching up with moodle's system requirements: http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Installing_Moodle

Not sure what hosting provider you use for your moodle server but if you are able, I would recommend boosting the RAM... This usually isn't possible with a shared hosting account but if you are using a VPS or dedicated server, you should be able to do this and see an increase in performance... 

Hope that helps...