Drag and Drop Questions

Drag and Drop Questions

by Cindy Seymour -
Number of replies: 4

Using Moodle 2.2

Created a "drag and drop" questions with four blanks and four answer options. A few students have reported (and am now seeing myself) that the answer options have disappeared and the "blanks" are tiny! Some students have been able to successively complete the question. Any suggestions?

TIA

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cindy Seymour

Re: Drag and Drop Questions

by Jamie Pratt -

Which drag and drop question type are you using? It sounds like it could be the Drag and Drop Words to Sentences type given your description of answer options and "blanks"??

Whichever question type it is it may help to purge your Moodle server cache by going to the admin menu / Development / Purge all caches. And if necessary empty browser caches on affected computers. It could be that you have updated your copy of Moodle and some older js which is somehow still being cached is causing the problem??

by Gary Sutcliff -

I wonder if it is a similar fox to that I am seeing in 2.2.  A question is presented but no answer options are shown.  I dicovered that if I go to the next question then click on the number of the question in the box to the upper left, the question gets presented again but now with the answer options.  It is almost like a screen refresh.

In reply to Gary Sutcliff

by Jamie Pratt -

Which question type are you talking about please Gary.

What you could possibly be seeing here is that either the javascript is downloading and running slowly or it is sometimes failing. If you install the firebug debugger for firefox or something similar for your browser you should be able to see any error messages and if some things such as the js scripts are loading slowly.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I know what you are describing, because I have had the same thing reported twice by OU students (with screen-grabs). That is out of several thousand students how have successfully used these questions.

And so far, I have been unable to work out what is happening. Here is what I have learned so far:

1. This is what you see when the question's JavaScript fails to run.
  2. When this happens, there are no JavaScript errors displayed that might help us diagnose or fix this.
    • However, if you see this problem, please double-check that fact, and do your best to find an error message.
  3. When somone hits this problem, the experience the problem in all web browsers (well, Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer).
    • That in itself is very weird. Normally JavaScript bugs only affect one type of browser.
  4. In both cases we encountered, the student in question was eventually able to try a difference computer, and then it worked.
    • Since the OU's theme displays some user-specific information in the header bar, it was concievable (but unlikely) that this was breaking things for certain user's log-in. This observation rules out that possibility.

That is as far as I have got with this problem.

It would appear that the problem is certain computers, or perhaps those computer's connection to the Moodle server. To confirm that diagnosis, I suppose we should get a second student to log in to the problem computer and try the quiz, but I have not been able to arrange that with any of our students.

How could this happen, my leading guesses are:

• the computers have particular firewall settings, or some sort of pop-up blocker installed that is causing this effect.
  • the computers in question are connected to the internet through and ISP that does some weird filtering or something like that.

If you are seeing the problem, and can get your hands on the computer where the problem happens, it would be really great if you could investigate. Thanks.