WizIQ, dinsysconnect, and videochat rename their plugins for higher visibility?

WizIQ, dinsysconnect, and videochat rename their plugins for higher visibility?

by Fred Dixon -
Number of replies: 5

Hi Everyone,

There's an interesting trend in the activites plugin database at

https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=category&id=1

with some renaming of the plugins names.

mod_videochat is now "2 Way Video Chat"
mod_dinsysconnect is now "A 1 and all web conferencing : Dinsys Connect"
mod_wiziq is now "A Virtual Classroom Plugin: WizIQ"

These are now the first three plugines on the activities list (what a conincidendce smile ).  

The remaining 98 plugins seem fine with using their proper module name.

Of course, the plugin database goes by the honor system.  In any product listing, it's tempting for a vendor to game the system to give themselves a higher position.   Too temping for some.

Regards,... Fred
--
BigblueButton Developer

P.S. I should now call myself "AAA BigBlueButton Developer" smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fred Dixon

Re: WizIQ, dinsysconnect, and videochat rename their plugins for higher visibility?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The plugins DB now tracks download stats. Perhaps we should order by download count by default?

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: WizIQ, dinsysconnect, and videochat rename their plugins for higher visibility?

by Aparup Banerjee -

I've in my todo list to write up a category listing that is sortable by downloads,popularity, releases for now. (Permalink)

Heh, i think Alphabetically will be a sorting criteria too possibly!

In reply to Aparup Banerjee

by Marina Glancy -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

could be also sorted descending by the time of the latest version added. This would encourage to release updates instead of renaming smile

Sorting by number of downloads will mean that new plugins are always in the bottom which is not fare imho

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marina Glancy

by Jesus Federico -
Picture of Plugin developers

I had noticed this before, but it seems that as Fred pointed now is a trend not just a practice of few companies.

I would go with Tim suggestion. Sorting by the latest date would encourage companies to update the version number, no really to improve the plugins.

In fact I would say, sorting by downloads and by the feedback provided by the community. Just as the most of the apps stores do.

Cheers,

In reply to Jesus Federico

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yes, sorting by downloads ensure that most "well known and useful (certainly ?)" plugins are shown before others, like it's generally done in most places, but (as Marina said) making new plugins (things in general) hard to be "visible" and to make their place.

I also like sorting by new release, that would encourage (theorically) people to update and make better versions.

Of course, each method can be abused : making small updates with nearly nothing in it, but also (self) downloading very regularly, or (self) rating...

Perhaps sorting with a mix of most downloaded and newly updated could be a good idea ?

PS : i think this thread would better be in Moodle community sites forum.

Séverin