MINISITES and WEBDAV REPOSITORY

MINISITES and WEBDAV REPOSITORY

by José Gregorio Díaz Unda -
Number of replies: 1

Hi everyone.

I have some troubles setting up a webdav repository to show "minisites".

The big purpose of this is to create a repository with a public and private area that will be accessed for several applications and one of those is Moodle. I want to keep centralized the maintenance of the content in one place.

Here we go.

SCENARIO:

I have a repository directory which has two subdirectories: public and private. The public directory is not a problem because it can be accessed by anyone. The private directory is handled by webdav configuration with Apache2.

From my MOODLE 2.4.1+ (Build: 20130222), I'm trying to show a popup window with content that comes from a directory located at webdav directory (private directory). I configured properly the webdav repository in Moodle and I can see the files in the file manager after selecting "My webdav repository".

The private webdav repository has several subdirectories, each directory is a "minisite" with a "index.html" file in it.

What I'm trying to do is show in a course with a popup window the contents of the minisite.

I have tried with this rersource's types, selecting the "index.html" file from the webdav repository:

1. Files: The result was the contents did not show properly the contents. I suppose because the "files plugin" does not find images, css, etc.

2. Folders: I can not select specifically a directory from the webdav. Like "Files" resource, a file must be selected and its not shown as a popup window. A workaround is upload a .zip file, uncompress it and select the "index.html" file as a "default file", but I do not want to uncompress files because content maintenance would be a hell and it will break the "repository spirit"

3. URL: When I select the "index.html" from the webdav repository, the "external URL" field does not show the complete URL to point the webdav repository. Apparently, its missing the "webdav variables" involved.

Any ideas about why URL plugin does not allow to point to a file located in a webdav repository?

Another approach to solve this?

Thanks in advance.

José.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to José Gregorio Díaz Unda

Re: MINISITES and WEBDAV REPOSITORY

by seaghan moriarty -

in 'Files' did you try to click the tiny icon and 'Set Main File'

if you do this after uploading your mini-site as follows, it should work:

1. Zip your mini-site
  2. Upload Zip to WebDav (in the Resouce > File dialog)
  3. Unzip
  4. Click on the index.html file and choose 'Set Main File'

HTH smile

I use this to link to a mini-site and it works well. the only problem I have is generating/locating an external URL to launch the minisite - APART FROM the Resources-File-Link above.