course restore failed from 1.9.12 to 2.4.1+

course restore failed from 1.9.12 to 2.4.1+

by Yatim Ghani -
Number of replies: 7

i am a complete newbie in Moodle and i have being tasked with upgrading my school moodle from 1.9.12 to 2.4.1+ and hence i am playing around with Moodle now.

i have managed to setup a Windows Server 2008 machine running IIS 7.5, PHP 5.4, MySQL and Moodle 2.4.1+ for my testing purposes.

All were going well until i tried to restore a single course in 2.4.1+ using a backup from 1.9.12, my moodle keep giving me the error below :

error/failed_move_converted_into_place

Any help from the gurus in here will be greatly appreciated and how do i dig deeper like seeing the debugging logs for this error above ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yatim Ghani

Re: course restore failed from 1.9.12 to 2.4.1+

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Am a linux person myself, but the process should be the same.

The restore process uses /moodledata/temp/backup/ as it's rebuilding area.  When it sees a .zip it assumes a backup that is not compat with the new system and attempts to unzip, then rebuild the backup into a version 2 ... a .mbz.  Then it restores.

Check the /moodledata/temp/backup/ folder for directories with long names - bunch of letters/numbers (name is taken from generated contenthash).  See any residual files (.xml, folders, and/or .mbz file?

The failed_move_converted_into_place have never see before, but sounds like the conversion process completes, but then cannot move files/folders to another for further processing.  Check IIS setting/permissions/ability to move files.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Yatim Ghani -

i kept seeing this error message below generated as a text file inside my C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Moodle\moodledata\temp\backup

[warn] (moodle1) no handler attached /MOODLE_BACKUP/COURSE/BLOCKS/BLOCK/ADMIN

I have already checked all my permission settings inside my IIS and folders and every things look fine for me and so i really have no ideas why my Moodle 2.4.1+ can't convert and move a backup course into place, i am really at my wits end and so any help will be greatly appreciated.

In reply to Yatim Ghani

by Heather P -

Have you tried turning debugging on and doing it again? See if it give you more detail to go on.

In reply to Heather P

by Yatim Ghani -

Hi, i have turned on my debugging and i got this screenshot as follows :

Any help from Moodle development team will be great, i have being stuck in this course backup and restore thingy for a long time now.

Attachment moodle error.JPG
In reply to Yatim Ghani

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

This looks like a permission issue maybe. I would check that you have write permissions on the moodledata and moodle folders.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Yatim Ghani -

I have given Full Control rights to both my Moodle and Moodledata folders for all Users and IISUSRS but my moodle is still showing me the Access is Denied error as the screenshot above.

In reply to Yatim Ghani

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Is the folder ownership set correctly.  I am a linux Moodle user so am not totally sure with Windows but the owner should be the web server/user.  Also, did you set permissions recursively?