Installing PoodLL

Installing PoodLL

by Carl Dowse -
Number of replies: 10

Hi

I'm trying to install the entire PoodLL 2 with the PoodLL (ALL) download. The instructions say to upload and unzip the folder to Moodle's main directory. It goes on to say "All of the components are already in their necessary directories and should arrive in the right place" and that "Moodle will set up most of the specific elements of PoodLL for you. We just have to let Moodle know we installed it. To do this, after you have copied the PoodLL modules, make sure you are logged in as admin, and click “notifications” in the site administration block. Moodle should recognize that several plugins need installing. It will recognize four new mods(filter, assignment type, question type and repository) and guide you through several install pages."

Problem is Moodle hasn't recognised the plugins and I can't get on with the rest of the set up that follows this initial upload.

Do I need to move any of the plugin folders somewhere else from the poodllall_2013022200 folder I've uploaded.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carl Dowse

Re: Installing PoodLL

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Maybe slightly mis-read:

"upload and unzip the folder IN Moodle's main directory" I think is what it should say.

I'll bet if you look in the unzipped poodllall_2013022200 folder, you'll see folders like mod, block, etc..  And if you look in those you'll see something like poodllmod or poodllblock, etc.  It's the folders at that level that need to be moved to mod, block, etc..

Then one goes to notifications.

Unzip the original zip locally first into a 'test' directory and see the results.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Carl Dowse

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Have you checked that the permissions on the folders are ok once they are in the right place? If they are still read only as sometimes seems to happen when uploading they will not be recognised.

Richard

In reply to Carl Dowse

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Carl

I replied to your email. But just for anyone else who might run into this. It is a pretty common pitfall. The PoodLL all file, after it is expanded contains four folders, they should be copied over the Moodle folders of the same name. Basically you are merging them. It is just a quick way to install all 6 mods.

But you can just do it mod by mod, like this:

i) poodll filter : [moodle]/filter - place "/filter/poodll" directory from zip
ii) online poodll assignment(2.3/2.4): [moodle]/mod/assign/submission - place
"/mod/assign/submission/onlinepoodll" directory from zip
iii) poodll online assignment(2.2): [moodle]/mod/assignment/type - place
"/mod/assignment/type/poodllonline" directory from zip
iv) poodll recording question: [moodle]/question/type - place
"/question/type/poodllrecording" directory from zip
v) poodll database field: [moodle]/mod/data/field - place "/mod/data/field/poodll" directory from zip
vi) poodll repository: [moodle]/repository - place "/repository/poodll" directory from zip

I hope that helps.

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Carl Dowse -

Hi Justine

Sorry, I forgot to thank you for the support you provided. It was a great help.

I've just upgraded to 2.6 and am re-installing the PoodLL add-ons. I notice there are now 7 rather than the 6 you list here. Do I need Assignment types, Assignment feedback and Assignment submissions? 

Keep up the great work - your add-ons have transformed how I use Moodle!

Carl

In reply to Carl Dowse

by Justin Hunt -

Thanks Carl (again) 

You probably no longer need the Assignment type for (old) Moodle 2.2 assignment. The 7th mod will be PoodLL Feedback  for the (new) assignment. It allows you to record your voice/video or draw pictures as feedback for your students.

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Greg Padberg -

Our Moodle version 2.7 (soon to be upgrading to 2.8) is running the complete Poodll plugin set.  Now that our Moodle installation has been upgraded beyond 2.6 (and the old Assignment 2.2 activity type has been disabled and retired), the assignment_poodllonline plugin seems to no longer be required.  Deleting the plugin results in a "Missing from disk!" message on the Plugins Overview page.  As there is no Uninstall link for this plugin, what is the recommended practice for removing the obsolete plugin and the notification message?  My only remaining holdout plugins are assignment_poodllonline (and APC, but that is on my test server).

In reply to Greg Padberg

by Justin Hunt -

I do not know why there is/was no uninstall link. To be honest, I have never really had to uninstall it.

Anyway this seems to work. If you run this SQL (make sure your table name is correct) and purge caches, the message should go away.

DELETE FROM `mdl_config_plugins` WHERE `mdl_config_plugins`.`plugin` = 'assignment_poodllonline';

NB: This is after you have removed any old PoodLL assignments, and removed the plugin from the filesystem.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Greg Padberg

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

I think the information Justin gave only avoid Moodle to tell "Missing from disk!", this plugin no more "registered" in mdl_config_plugins.

And as he said as NB, for a real good deletion of a plugin, you should :

1. have the plugin files installed in your Moodle,  so you have the "Uninstall" link
  2. uninstall the plugin via the link
  3. then delete plugin files

HTH,
Séverin