Importing a glossary

Importing a glossary

por gideon williams -
Número de respostas: 9

I have a series of glossary style definitions in Word written for my Year 7 IT class pre-Moodle days.

I really want to be able to get it in to a form that I can then upload into a glossary. I have been scouring the forums but to no avail.

Could anyone provide some pointers as to how I go about this - I get very furstrated at reading messages from people who seem so gifted at php, programming etc and it all seems so easy. An idiots guide would be much appreciated!

Gideon WIlliams

Media de puntuacións: -
En resposta a gideon williams

Re: Importing a glossary

por James Phillips -
One idiot at your service. Make a glossary, then put one or two entries in it. If you then export this glossary you will end up with an XML file (you will get a link for the file and be sure to do a "save as" on the link). If you then open the xml file up in word you will see the xml format for each entry (each bit from <ENTRY> to </ENTRY> is one entry). You can then pick symbols (such as comma's or semi-colons etc.) to use to format your glossary in your preferred manner (for example, concept, definition). You can then block substitute, for example, all the comma's with certain blocks of code from the xml file, etc. and if done properly, you will end up with a properly formatted file to be imported into the glossary. Hope this makes sense. 
En resposta a gideon williams

por Heather Jackson -

I actually just did this for a course we're moving from WebCT into Moodle.  Through a little trial and error, I did come up with a fairly easy process that worked well for me. I moved the glossary list from Word, into Excel, then into Access, and finally uploaded into Moodle. I've attached the pdf ... it might look a little daunting, but is really quite easy and didn't take very long (less than an hour).

I'm sure someone out there has a better solution, but this worked well for me. This document is just my first draft, and it does make reference to some internal files, but you should be able to adapt it for your use.

Good luck!

Media de puntuacións:Useful (1)
En resposta a Heather Jackson

por Jason Hando -
I did a similar thing but managed to skip the Access step by incorporating columns for the xml tags. Have a look at the attached Excel template. It's really very easy.

I then export straight from Excel into text document which can be renamed with .xml and opened in text editor. Then the other tages like <INTRO> can be pasted at top and bottom of the glossary entries.

This file gets imported into glossary. Make sure you have the category already created that you use in the spreadhsheet.

If someone comes up with a better way I'd be interested chiscadela
Media de puntuacións:Useful (2)
En resposta a Heather Jackson

Vast: Re: Importing a glossary

por Katja Pietiainen -

This was very useful to me. I have two glossaries with 400 or something words made with WebCT and I don't know what I would have done with them unless I had't find these instructions...

I noticed though that I had to add (in the spreadsheet) the headers and data also for FORMAT, USEDYNALINK, CASESENSITIVE, FULLMATCH and TEACHERENTRY (these tags I got from the test glossary I exported from Moodle) in order to get the entries accepted but once I figured that out the importing of the entries worked very well. Even the original html tags (in the definition texts) for bold and italic work just fine also in Moodle, which was surprising. smile 

My Excel-table (the first two rows) looks something like this...

CONCEPT DEFINITION FORMAT USEDYNALINK CASESENSITIVE FULLMATCH TEACHERENTRY
text text 1 0 0 0 1

I also had to edit the XML-file with Notepad, because I couldn't figure out how I could edit it with Word.. But that just because I'm used to writing html with Notepad and I don't quite know how to use Word for it. mixed

En resposta a Katja Pietiainen

Re: Vast: Re: Importing a glossary

por Hélène Bouley -
I have a simpler solution to import glossary from WebCT into Moodle :
you can apply the glossaire.xsl (included) style sheet to the GLY_xxxxx.xml you get exporting a webct course.

The exemple use saxon6
java -jar   /Applications/saxon6_5_2-3/saxon.jar  -t  GLY_0172272.xml     ./xsl/glossaire.xsl

It creates the glossaire_moodle.xml file . If you use some thing else than saxon you can remove xsl:document and use the command line to give an another name to the  output file .
you just have to create an empty  glossary with a title and a description in Moodle and import this xml file- you adjust the parameters afterwards

This solution needs may be to integrated to the whole process i'm starting studying transfert solution so it's not done.

En resposta a Hélène Bouley

por Dom London -

Argrhgrh

Will somebody show me a simple import tool for glossaries... Ive created them in Word, TXT (WebCT format) Excel. and Im baffled by all the suggestions here -0 they dont work for me... tried the import2.php nope it goves me errors like Warning: Unknown(): open(/data/session/0/4/sess_04a7b01c1522d9b0f7725e522522efeb, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (2;/data/session) in Unknown on line 0

Has no-one created a proper import. The moodle one itself also doesnt work. (yup = grrrr)

En resposta a Dom London

por Gary Busch -
You'll be lucky. I have tried for four months to import a glossary using every tool known to man and beast. Nothing works. i have tried fourteen versions of XML and they will not load. A very kind lady on this forum, Heather Jackson, has been most helpful in getting some of the glossary in a form which will load but the rest is dangling in the wind. I am coming to the conclusion that the glossary section may be flawed intrinsically. My glossary worked for over a year. When I changed my site location it refused to move. So, I know it works. Unfortunately Moodle doesn't. If you come up with a solution, please let me know.