Saving PDF (PPT,...) files without viewing them

Saving PDF (PPT,...) files without viewing them

by Hiroto Kagotani -
Number of replies: 2
Hi there,

Is there an easy way to save PDF (or PPT, or any) resource files through the context menu (right click menu)?

I configured such resources to be opened on the same window without frames.  But, when I right click and choose "save as", I can only save "view.htm" (or "view.php.htm" in Firefox) containing a few lines of html text.  My students want to save them without viewing them.

Thanks in advance.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hiroto Kagotani

Re: Saving PDF (PPT,...) files without viewing them

by Peter Broadfoot -

Hi Hiroto,

The following link may help:

http://www.utteraccess.com/forums/access/access1861521.html

It assumes an IE browser. One solution described is to enable the download File Open Save prompt on the client, so that the file can be saved (but I suspect that you have already considered that).  The user has to configure the PC for this - which is probably not possible if the users are students using the university's network. 

There may be alternative solutions.  I presume that it is possible to view the file and then save it - for example, by using the Adobe Reader's Save a Copy button.

Perhaps you want a  solution that makes the PDF file the target of the right-click menu.  That may be possible if you replace your PDF link with a link to a new html page and then include, in that page, direct links to your PDF file (or files). 

In reply to Peter Broadfoot

Re: Saving PDF (PPT,...) files without viewing them

by Hiroto Kagotani -
Hi Peter,
Thanks a lot.

I struggled with moodle code and finally I think I find a solution.
If you are interested, please look into bug 2998 in the bug tracker.
This will change moodle's page redirection mechanism.

Thanks again.