How to split into two quizzes based on responses to first few items

How to split into two quizzes based on responses to first few items

by Susan Miller-Curley -
Number of replies: 5

I have a quiz I developed on Moodle 2.1 that is used to place non-English speakers into secondary math classes.  I just received a request from a client to re-design the quiz to accommodate the wide range of math abilities we are seeing. 

I would like to develop a quiz that had the same 6-8 questions for all students then split them into two groups - a higher level group with more advanced questions and a lower level group with more basic questions.

I am not a tech person, just an educator who knows Moodle enough to sound like I am a tech personsmile  Your advice on how to get started would be helpful.  Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susan Miller-Curley

Re: How to split into two quizzes based on responses to first few items

by Ian Hunt -

I think the easiest way to do this would be to split in to 3 parts. Everyone completes quiz 1 and then based on the score in quiz 1 they either get quiz 2a or quiz 2b. This requires the use of conditional activities to control the access to 2a or 2b.

In reply to Ian Hunt

by Susan Miller-Curley -

So "adaptive mode" in Moodle quizzes does not mean adaptive mode like it does in other standardized tests where you are sent to easier or more difficult questions based on how you respond to the first few? 

In reply to Susan Miller-Curley

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Your understanding is correct, Moodle does not support the delivery of questions in the quiz dependent on answers to previous questions.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Marcus: "Moodle does not support the delivery of questions in the quiz dependent on answers to previous questions."

The Lesson activity does it (more or less).

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Folks have wanted this from the quiz since the mists of time (around 2003)