Is it possible to authorize a web app to embed private videos from Youtube or Google Drive?

Is it possible to authorize a web app to embed private videos from Youtube or Google Drive?

by Samuli Karevaara -
Number of replies: 3

From what I've read I gather that it is now possible to do what I'm trying to do, but:

Is there a way to authorize Moodle (or any web app) to show private Youtube/Google Drive videos?

I know about the "unlisted" option, but the link can be passed around. Downloading from Google Drive to Moodle fills up the small server that we have + we lose the nice built-in viewer that can handle for example .mov's with ease.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

Re: Is it possible to authorize a web app to embed private videos from Youtube or Google Drive?

by Dan Poltawski -

I'm not aware of a way. An alternative is to change your youtube video settings to 'unlisted' rather than private. That way you could embed the video, but it wouldn't appear in listings.

In reply to Dan Poltawski

Re: Is it possible to authorize a web app to embed private videos from Youtube or Google Drive?

by Samuli Karevaara -

Thanks for the reply, Dan. That's about as far as I got. I didn't find an official info on this so I thought I'd ask around.

I would use the "unlisted" option otherwise, but the links might get passed around. That would leave the participants with the feeling that the videos are public.

I think it would be a kick-ass feature to be able to host videos on Youtube and/or GDrive and only allow a specific web app to embed them. I guess Google doesn't want to allow this on their free services.

For now I'll use a combination of "unlisted" videos on Youtube/GDrive and videos uploaded to the Moodle server.

In reply to Samuli Karevaara

by Florian Zillner -

Vimeo allows something like this, though, not for free. See here: http://vimeo.com/help/faq/privacy

You can select from the following privacy options for video embedding:

• Only on sites I choose (Plus + PRO only) - I'll specify sites on which people can embed this video