Missing graphics since upgrading to 2.4 from 2.3 - Only in IE8 and only in the customised theme

Missing graphics since upgrading to 2.4 from 2.3 - Only in IE8 and only in the customised theme

by WALGA eLearning -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all,

I have a strange issue where a few graphic elements have gone missing since upgrading to 2.4 from 2.3, resultig in poor aesthetics. The big issue is seen in Example 2, where the completion settings checkbox is missing and replaced by alt text. However this only occurs in IE8. The images are rendered correctly in Firefox and Chrome.

Out of curiousity I changed our theme to something default (afterburner) and the issue corrected itself which leads me to believe this is a theme problem. But I do not know why this problem only occurs in IE8 only and not in all the platforms.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this issue?

Example 1:

Question 1_Image

Example 2:

Question 2_Image

Average of ratings: -
In reply to WALGA eLearning

Re: Missing graphics since upgrading to 2.4 from 2.3 - Only in IE8 and only in the customised theme

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Which theme is this you are using in your examples.?

If it is a custom theme there should be no changes, unless your theme relied on the old version of images.

The best thing you need to do is change theme to Standard theme temperarily in order to check if the Moodle images are showing up in any browser. If it is only related to your theme, then that should be easy to fix. If it affects Standard theme then this issue need to be reported in Moodle Tracker.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Missing graphics since upgrading to 2.4 from 2.3 - Only in IE8 and only in the customised theme

by WALGA eLearning -

Hi Mary,

Thank you for you swift reply.

The theme that I am using is customised and not based on a default moodle theme. As you suggested I temporarily changed the theme to Standard and began testing in all browsers. The checkboxes and images displayed as they should in all browsers.

This confirms that there is some issue with my theme and not the moodle core code. I am still at a loss of why the checkboxes and images display correctly in Firefox and Chrome and yet don't in IE8. They look like broken links but obviously this can't be the case because if it was they would be broken in all browsers and not just IE8.

Any thoughts?

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You could try testing to see if IE is in Compatibility mode. Go to View and select Compatibility settings and make sure your site URL is not listed.

You could also try checking your CSS files in the W3C CSS Validator

It may be the fact that the new type of images are not being read in IE8.

Alternatively you could try Purging all caches in Site Administration > Development > Purge all caches.

After you have done that refresh your screen with Ctrl + F5 this will force all the images to reload.

Hope some of this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by WALGA eLearning -

Hi Mary,

Thank you for your suggestions. They helped get me on the right track.

I have fixed one problem then caused another (isn't this always the case?).

An original problem of mine was that the SCORM files were not reporting a "complete" grade back into moodle when opened in IE9 on moodle 2.3. A quick fix I employed to work around this problem was using the following code to render the page as IE8 when using IE9:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE8" >

This was placed inside the general.php file inside the theme folder. Once employed the SCORMS would then report back into moodle and a grade was issued accordingly.

Once I removed this piece of code the page would render correctly in IE8 and IE9 (thus removing my original problem) however the old problem on the SCORM not reporting back into moodle remains.

So, now that the plot has thickened, have you any thoughts on this issue? Is there a piece of code that forces SCORMs to report back to moodle?

Regards,
Tim W

by Mary Evans -

In that case try asking for help in the SCORM forum.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=1951

Both Dan Marsden and Amy Grosheck will be able to help you.

Also these are all the SCORM Moodle bugs that Dan looks after.

https://tracker.moodle.org/issues/?jql=assignee%20in%20%28danmarsden%29%20AND%20text%20~%20SCORM%20ORDER%20BY%20created%20DESC