General help

Picture of deepti pulavarthi
Moodle 2.4 not sending email

HI,

I've just installed moodle 2.4 but none of forum messages are being fed out in email to the participants even though they are subscribed to the forums. Is there a setting I need turn on or add our mail server settings somewhere to enable reading and replying to forums via email?

Thanks!

Deepti

Average of ratings: -
James Richardson
Re: Moodle 2.4 not sending email

Hello deepti!

Its possible your server is not allowing the php mail(); function to work. Try setting up your Moodle to use an SMTP connection instead. Here is a link for more information on how to set up an SMTP connection in Moodle.

Setting up an SMTP connection in Moodle

Best Regards,

James R

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Mia M

also -- doesn't cron have to be running for mail to go out?

Picture of deepti pulavarthi

Hi James,

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried adding the SMTP server but it still didnt work. 

I still see no notifications from the forums.

Mia, what is the cron? How can I enable it?

Thank you both.

Picture of Mia M

Cron is the script that must run in the background on a regular basis to keep certain things running in your moodle system. One of the things it does is generate some of the emails. We have our cron running every five minutes.

I am not a system administrator, so I don't maintain our cron job, but you can read about it here:

http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Cron

Hopefully someone else who is more directly involved with system administration can explain more if you need more information.

Picture of George Skelton

I found that my mail server would not accept an admin e-mail address on another server. It was rejecting a from address which was on another mail server.

I changed the administrator e-mail address in the user profile and the setting in site administration/server/support contact (this does not change automatically if the admin e-mail address is changed - presumably for those who have a separate support contact).

I also left the smtphosts entry blank in site administration/plug-ins/message outputs/email.

I think I could have managed with just the support contact, but for our site the two go together.

Mail is working well now.

George