How do I make the glossary global?

How do I make the glossary global?

Cindy Weber -
Кількість відповідей: 4

I am using moodle 24.  I have added a glossary in one of my courses.  I want to show that glossary in multiple courses.  Does anyone know how to make a glossary global? 

У відповідь на Cindy Weber

Re: How do I make the glossary global?

Joseph Rézeau -
Фото Core developers Фото Particularly helpful Moodlers Фото Plugin developers Фото Testers Фото Translators

Hello Cindy,

It depends how you want your "glossary" to be used.

Use case #1.- Make the glossary global with entries linking throughout the whole Moodle site. Any course may contain a global glossary, though the best practice is to place a global glossary on the site front page. Only administrators can set a glossary as global.

Use case #2.- If you want any student enrolled in any course on your Moodle site to be able to browse your glossary, you'll have to be an administrator and create your glossary on the site front page.

In any case you'll have to be an admin to achieve this.

Joseph

У відповідь на Joseph Rézeau

Cindy Weber -

Thank you Joseph!  I like case 2, and I am the administrator.  From previous posts, in settings - front page - front page settings, I clicked on 'include a topic section' and it is yes (default).  Next 'blocks editing on'.  I don't see anything beyond that. 

I also noticed some of the glossary settings within the courses (main v secondary glossary) that kind of thing, but that didn't make a difference.

I have a 'main glossary' set up in one of the courses that I want to use throughout all of the courses.  I didn't want to save and load into each course, because if I had a change, I would need to make it many times. 

I don't give students access to many blocks.  Could that be my problem?

У відповідь на Cindy Weber

Joseph Rézeau -
Фото Core developers Фото Particularly helpful Moodlers Фото Plugin developers Фото Testers Фото Translators

1.- To create a Glossary on your Moodle's site front page:

• In the Settings block, click Turn Editing on
  • In the Main Menu block or in the central column, click Add an activity or resource
  • In the list of Activities, select Glossary and create your glossary.
  • If you want entries which are linked to from throughout the site, check the Is this glossary global? box.

2.- Global Glossary and Main Glossary are 2 totally un-related features. The online help explains quite well what they are.

I can only repeat what I said in my previous post, for what you want to do (case #2), you should create a Global glossary on your Moodle site's front page.

Joseph

У відповідь на Joseph Rézeau

David McCarthy -

I'm with Cindy on this.

I already have a Glossary ... how do I make it the Global Glossary?

PS. My copy of Moodle (which I don't manage) is on 2.6.7. From the documentation, this seems to rule out exporting and then importing (as not everything is moved across).

Also, I'm not clear how to get the Global Glossary to appear with the courses.

I've a couple of books on managing Moodle, and I've looked through the online docs, but neither of these questions have been answered.

This has come about after creating a new version of our main course ... and it doesn't seem to have a fully working glossary.