Required reading be for quiz

Required reading be for quiz

by james axelson -
Number of replies: 2

I want my users to have to read from a power point be for they can take the test and my next question is can i make them take a retake test if the score of the first test is to low? 

is there a way to do this i am just starting out with moodle.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to james axelson

Re: Required reading be for quiz

by Brandy Weaver -

I'm afraid someone more knowledgeable will need to address the powerpoint question.

If you are using the quiz module for the test, you can create the quiz with multiple (or unlimited) attempts, which is the first step (allowing the student to take the quiz more than once).

To require a minimum score, you first need to have something to "withhold" if the student gets too low of a score.

For instance, I use Moodle for both homework and quizzes (I use the quiz module for both), and a minimum score on the homework unlocks the quiz (I personally keep this minimum pretty reasonable as I'm not looking for homework perfection, but just a legitimate attempt at accuracy).

To require a minimum score on the homework, I just set a restriction on the assignment or quiz that follows it.

A couple different ways this could work:

I want to require the student accomplish a minimum on each individual assignment before moving on to the next in a sequence:

I create Homework 2A and Homework 2B and Quiz 2.

I do nothing to Homework 2A.

On Homework 2B I set the restriction (option near the bottom): Restrict Access

Grade Condition: [Homework 2A] (chosen from a dropdown box)  must be at least [X] % and less than [Y] %.

I would put my minimum score in for X.

On Quiz 2, I then do the same as for Homework 2B, but I select [Homework 2B] from the dropdown box instead, and put my minimum score in for X.

Y may be left blank.

Another possible use case:

I want to require the student to accomplish a minimum on multiple quizzes/assignments before taking a single (often cummulative) assignment.

I create Homework 2A, Homework 2B, and Quiz 2.

I restrict the access only in Quiz 2. I create two restrictions

Grade Condition: Homework 2A must be at least X % ...

Grade Condition: Homework 2B must be at least  X %...  

(The % may be different or the same. I personally use the same).

In this situation, the student may work toward the minimum scores in Homework 2A and 2B in any order, instead of being restricted to a single order (2A first, then 2B). I started out using the first case, then changed over to the second, as it gives the kids a little more flexibility.

These are just a couple of possible uses.  Ultimately, "Making a student get a minimum score" is a touchy thing, as we can't physically force the student to remain at the computer, retaking a quiz/test, until the minimum is achieved - nor should we, in my opinion. But we can condition forward movement through the course upon minimum requirements in previous assignments.

Ultimately, any assignment that is not restricted upon a condition, will still be accessible to your student, whether or not the student has achieved the minimum desired score on the test. The only way to completely bar the student's progress is to placea  restriction upon every assignment, based either on the test's grade, or upon something else that is based on the test's grade, or upon something else that is based on something else that is based on something else that is [...] based on the test's grade, etc.

Hope this helps.

Brandy Weaver

In reply to james axelson

Re: Required reading be for quiz

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Even if you could watch them read your PowerPoints, would this guarantee that they would comprehend the material and "ace" the exam?

Why not let students study the way that they want to, and the test will then verify if they have learned.  If they haven't learned, you could tell them that the answers are in the PowerPoints, they just need to read (and comprehend), and then take the test again.

This is just a suggestion for you.