Direction arabic language

Direction arabic language

by Alberto Culatina -
Number of replies: 7

My name is Aberto Culatina, working at the University of Pavia (Italy) as a developer and manager of several portals moodle 2.4.
I am writing because I have a problem with the Arabic language copy / paste from a MS Word document in a course.
For Rotary Club District 2050, my University is working to develop a portal to facilitate the Arab community to learn the Italian language, in order to facilitate the integration of Arab students at the university.
But here the problems begin: when I copy and paste a label or in a quiz parts of Arabic text properly formatted in Microsoft Word, moodle are put in reverse, and this affects the readability of the text proper.

How can i do to solve the problem?

Thk's a lot!

Alberto

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alberto Culatina

Re: Direction arabic language

by Andrey Pryakhin -

There is a related question here:
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=225168

TinyMCE works properly, at least in M.2.4.3 - I tested it from Linux, maybe Windows has some specific problems. But when it is displayed in a browser, allignment is wrong and this is a bug of Moodle. 

Hope that developers read this forum.

In reply to Andrey Pryakhin

by Tami Bonnett-Admi -

This is related but not. Our goal is NOT to translate online using the TinyMCE HTML editor. Instead, we want to make use of translation memory software tools and instead export the content from Moodle, translate and bring back in - so that we can make use of known terms/phrases, as well as ease in identification of updated terms in the original course that must then be translated into the translated versions of the course. 

Hope this is clear...

In reply to Tami Bonnett-Admi

by Andrey Pryakhin -

Tani, in general, it is a good point about translation. But question was a bit different. It was not about translation, rather than about "... Arabic text properly formatted in Microsoft Word, moodle are put in reverse ...".

I just tested it and confirmed that text typed in farsi is properly formatted and displayed in TinyMCE (editor used in Moodle), but wrongly presented in Moodle itself (html/php). You can see it in a previous post. I suspect that this is a Moodle's bug.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Alberto,

The problem is MS Word document formatting that you carry with the copy/paste text. First you need to strip the text of the hidden formatting.

Also the best theme to use in Moodle 2.4 is Afterburner as this is set up specially for RTL languages.

You may also be interested to see MDL-32257 as this concerns a better way of adding large amounts of pre written text to Moodle using <div class=multilang" >rather than <span class="multilang" > tags.

I hope this helps?

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Mary,

what Andrey noticed might be caused by theme css because in that other discussion tags like

<p dir="rtl">۱۲۳۴۵۶۷۸۹۰</p>

are not respected by Moodle Themes. It might be caused by the current way how themes use body classes dir-ltr and dir-rtl in body tag and theme css.

In some cases (languages) people may want to set everything rtl or ltr ... or either rtl or ltr depending on some selection

http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-bidi-css-markup

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Thank's Mauno,

I was not aware of that, which explains the problem.

Sorry

Mary

by Mauno Korpelainen -

If I had a similar problem I might try to use html attachments with bidirectional examples http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/bidi-xhtml/ or create links to external html documents or in your case attach the original Word docs. Embedding such content to quizzes might be difficult but if no other option works you could also add the problematic text as image to quiz... wink