Taskchain error when trying to preview lesson

Taskchain error when trying to preview lesson

by steve lencina -
Number of replies: 17

Hello,

I'm currently using Moodle 1.9 but like many others would like to upgrade to Moodle 2.xx  but refuse to do so because quizport's incompatibility with Moodle 2.x.

I set up a test site with Moodle 2.x and installed the latest version of Taskchain and Hotpot module.   I uploaded some exercises to my repository and the lessons worked great with the Hotpot module, however I can't get the lessons to work with Taskchain.   

When using Taskchain:

1) I upload the lesson (source file > Add)

2) Select my lesson.  (it is in .htm format and was exported from  Hotpotatoes, it workd fine with the Hotpot mod)

3) Select "save and display"

4) Select "Preview TaskChain Activity Now"

Then I get the following error:

Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: Cannot access unknown property, context, of mod_taskchain object.

More information about this error

Am I doing something wrong?  This same exercise works perfectly with the hotpot mod.  That’s what really puzzles me.

I'm really excited about the Taskchain plugin.   I'm really looking forward to upgrading to 2.x but this is the only thing holding me back.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Average of ratings: -
In reply to steve lencina

Re: Taskchain error when trying to preview lesson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Steve,
I just tried adding a simple JCloze html file to TaskChain on Moodle 2.4 and I didn't get the same error as you, so I need a bit more help in trying to reproduce the problem.

Could you perhaps set up a TaskChain on my test server and then post a link here to the activity you set up that there.

thanks
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by steve lencina -

Hi Gordon,
Thank you so much for yourr prompt reply.
I went to the link you provided but I think your webpage may be experiencing some problems. When I go to the link you provided me, I get a screen with the following information:

Gordon Bateson's Moodle Development Server (Kanazawa Gakuin University)

TaskChain for Moodle 2.x is here (1.7 MB)
Last modified on Tue 12th Feb 2013 at 7:35 PM (Asia/Tokyo time) TIME CONVERTER
HotPot for Moodle 2.x is here (1.3 MB)
Last modified on Tue 12th Feb 2013 at 5:28 PM (Asia/Tokyo time) TIME CONVERTER
QuizPort for Moodle 1.x is here (1.6 MB)
Last modified on Tue 12th Feb 2013 at 7:43 PM (Asia/Tokyo time) TIME CONVERTER
HotPot for Moodle 1.9 is here
HotPot for Moodle 1.8 is here
HotPot for Moodle 1.7 is here
HotPot for Moodle 1.6 is here
HotPot for Moodle 1.5 (and earlier) is here
Apart from that, there are a several Moodle test sites

Moodle v1.9 MySQL PostgreSQL MSSQL Oracle
Moodle v2.0 MySQL PostgreSQL MSSQL Oracle
Moodle v2.3 MySQL PostgreSQL MSSQL Oracle
Moodle v2.4 MySQL PostgreSQL MSSQL Oracle

I'll keep trying to enter your page.

Thanks again.

steve

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Well done Steve.

Which version of Moodle are you using? Looks a bit like Moodle 2.0? Whatever version it is, click that versions "MySQL" link at the bottom of the page you went to on my research server and then login and add the TaskChain activity.

cheers
Gordon

by steve lencina -

Hi Gordon,
I'm using Moodle 2.2.3 (Build: 20120514).
I just installed it from my control panel.
While in the control panel I checked my Sql version: 5.0.96-community

I Uploaded a test file on your server and it worked. (with exception on the images, but that a different subject I'll save for later).

http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/24/mod/taskchain/view.php?id=25

Do you think I need to update Moodle? I thought the requirements for taskchain was any moodle 2.x.

You're input more than welcomed.

Cheers,
steve

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Steve,
thanks for creating a TaskChain on my server.

I recommend you avoid Moodle 2.2, and if at all possible aim for Moodle 2.3 (because it allows "linked" files) or even better Moodle 2.4, because that it currently what I am developing TaskChain on, so it is likely to be the most reliable platform for TaskChain.

If you have already installed Moodle 2.2, you can update it thus:

1. move "config.php" out of your current Moodle scripts folder (not the data folder) on the server into a safe place (e.g. your own PC)
  2. delete the current Moodle scripts folder on the server
  3. download the Moodle 2.4 Moodle zip file from the downloads page on Moodle.org
  4. unzip the Moodle 2.4 zip file on your server and rename it to what the old Moodle scripts folder was called
  5. put the "config.php" file into the Moodle 2.4 scripts folder on your server
  6. using your browser login to Moodle as administrator, and the upgrade should begin

regards
Gordon

P.S. In the future you can upgrade Moodle in a similar way.

by steve lencina -

Hi again,

I've upgraded before and never had any problems until now.  My current Moodle was installed via Control Panel > Fantstico php

I followed your steps as you can see in the video. After installing Moodle 2.4 and renaming it to the same name as my OLD moodle, I get this error: Fatal error: $CFG->dataroot is not configured properly, directory does not exist or is not accessible! Exiting

Please watch the video, I'm going nuts.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance!!

steve

Installation VIDEO LINK: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25393475/moodleinstall/moodleinstall.html

by steve lencina -

Well, I think part of my problem is that my SQL is incompatible.

version 5.1.33 is required and you are running 5.0.96version 5.1.33 is required and I'm running 5.0.96

sad

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Steve,

While Gordon is sleeping over there in Japan, I can't really help except to say that my experience with Fantastico and similar has not been good because you're not in control of the latest versions of SQL, PHP and Apache. I'm just an English teacher and scared of those techie things too. Just wait until Gordon wakes up and he'll sort it all out as usual.

All the best,

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by steve lencina -

Thanks Glenys!

Glad to hear that Im not alone in this.  I wrote to my hosting service to see if thay have planes to update the Sql database.  Still waiting for the reply.

By the way, I wanted to congratulate you on your Moodle Taskchain.  It's EXACTLY what I'm trying to do.  I also noticed that your hotpot files look much better. For example, the multiple choice boxes look more modern.  Did you do something to Hotpotatoes? or is it something that occures with Moodle 2.4?

Cheers,

steve

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Steve,

Not sure what you mean by my "Moodle Taskchain" - could you post a URL?

As for the "look" that's all thanks to Stan Bogdanov  and his css3_Facelift (386) v1.5. for HotPotatoes. Just wonderful, ain't it?

He's got lots more fun stuff see:  http://www.ewbooks.info/hotpot/add-ons

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Martin Fischer -

Hi Glenys,

just one cuestion: how did you implement Stan´s css? Did you substitute the standard css on the hotpot module ? Did you upload the *.htm file instead of hotpot´s jxx? Has Gordon somehow integrated Stan´s CSS into the taskchain module?

best regards,

Martin Fischer

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Steve,
the location of the Moodle data folder is defined in Moodle's "config.php", so if you have a look in there you can find out the value of $CFG->dataroot.

I suspect that Fantastico has put the Moodle data INSIDE the Moodle scripts folder, which is a bad a idea for a number of reasons. First, it opens up the possibility of people gaining access to your data files directly, without going through the identity checks that Moodle performs. Second, it means the data folder may get overwritten or lost when you update Moodle as you have done. Keeping the Moodle data folder and the Moodle scripts folder separate is a good reason not to use Fantastico in the future.

The message about MySQL versions explains why you were using Moodle 2.2.

You won't be able to install above Moodle 2.2 on that server in its current condition. If the hosting helpdesk can't update beyond MySQL 5.1.33 and PHP 5.3.2, then we'll have to either move to another host or go back to Moodle 2.2.

The precise software requirements for Moodle 2.4 are here.

Please let us know when you get a response from the helpdesk.

regards
Gordon

by steve lencina -

Thanks so much Gordon.

As I said, I wrote to my hosting service.   I'm crossing my fingures that they'll upgrade MySql.    

That will be only half the battle because I would need to migrate my moodle 1.9 lessons (which are on Quizport) to Moodle 2.4.  Will there be a migration tool for sale or something?   My problem is that my quizport lessons have images located in sub directories.  Will I have to relocate those images to the same directory as the lesson?  

Thanks again Gordon!  Keep up the AMAZING work!!!!

steve 

by Gordon Bateson -

Steve,
migrating from 1.9, you would need to go via Moodle 2.2, then on to Moodle 2.4.

As far as the upgrading of QuizPorts to TaskChains goes, I intend that it will be handled  by the normal Moodle upgrade process. As you may be aware, Moodle 2.x removes files from the server's file system and puts them into the database. This wil be confusing for HotPot/QuizPort users. People's first reaction is usually, "My files are gone!", but actually there are still there, but you access them differently in Moodle 2.x.

Therefore, it may be useful to break the QuizPort upgrade process into more steps. Personally, I would like the upgrade process to ask me "Do you want to convert the files to Moodle 2.x format, or create a Moodle File system repository?" (more info here)

Anyway, that's a few weeks away, I need to get reports and backup/restore working first.

regards
Gordon

by steve lencina -

Hi Gordon,

I just got word that my Hosting Service is going to be updating in the upcoming weeks. (they don't mention exactly when).

The bad news is that they don't want to host moodle anymore.  So they are taking it off their system.   I therefore may have 2 options:  install manually onto their hosting service or change hosting service.

Regarding the upgrade, perhaps my best bet would be to give moodle 2.4 a FRESH install.  My only concern would be all the user accounts.  I would have to have my students enroll again.  And perhaps a bigger problem would be the loss of the gradebook.

No pain, no gain.  smile

I'll let you know when my hosting upgrades their MySql.

Thanks for all.

Cheers,

steve