General developer forum

My ugly mug
General Developer Meeting, 07:00 UTC, Tue 26 Feb
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

I hope you can join us for a General Developer meeting online next week.

Time 07:00 UTC on Tuesday, 26 February 2013
Meeting room Moodle Dev Meeting Course

In this meeting we will focus on activities outside Moodle HQ.

Agenda

Average of ratings: -
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: General Developer Meeting, 07:00 UTC, Tue 26 Feb
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

That already looks like a good list of stuff to discuss.

I just had one additional thought, should someone (me, Andrew Nichols, or Colin Chambers) demo the work we have done recently on Moodle forms for Moodle 2.5?

As a result of those changes, people may wish to look at the forms in the areas of code to take best advantage of the new possibilities. For example, I just thought of this quick win: https://github.com/timhunt/moodle/compare/master...MDL-38093, and we could do with more like that. We should also make sure people know that if they have good ideas for improving this further, like expand all links, then they should file them at MDL-38012.

I am thinking that we could usefully cover this in a 5-10 minute slot in the meeting (unless a discussion breaks out, and if that happened it would be a good  thing).

Dan at desk in Moodle HQ, Perth
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Its not fair to suggest someone else talks about something, but i'll do it anyway...

I'd be interested in hearing about openbadges, if Yuliya or Simon could be persuaded to talk about the work they've been doing! smile

Picture of Yuliya Bozhko
Group Developers

Hi Dan,

I am not sure if Simon is going to be available (he is on leave since yesterday), but I can definitely do a demo of openbadges if you are interested smile We have a public test/demo server set up, so there will be no problem with that. Just let me know please what I need to do, as I've never been a part of Moodle dev meeting before.

Yuliya

Hi Yuliya,

Great! We use big blue button and the meeting can be as formal/informal as we like. The biggest challenge is getting your configuration to work with bigbluebutton, I believe trying out http://demo.bigbluebutton.org/ would be a good way to test.

Dan

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Simon Coggins
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

I'll do my best to be there too.

Simon

Martin Langhoff - Sailing
I plan to join in, just to lurk. TBH, I am not doing anything useful right now, but plan is to be back in the Moodle fold late May.

I have a current moodle git clone here on my laptop again after many many moons. Why do I feel vertigo? wink

One poor developer...
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

If Martín Langhoff is being back soon, I'd propose introduce another point in the meeting about to seriously consider switching back to CVS immediately.

clown evil big grin

Ciao smile

PS: It will be impossible for me to be online at the beginning, I'll try to join ASAP.

Why did I write late May? It will be early April, actually.

Eloy, I fully support a return to CVS! That's why I wrote git-cvsserver: so I can use TortoiseCVS smile

Picture of sam marshall
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

I've asked Michael if I can explain my logging-to-file proposal at the meeting. Trying to gather support for it. smile

On the down side, if he says yes, I will have to get out of bed in time for it!

--sam

Hi Sam,

I have an alternative approach that might work to relieve the pressure on mdl_log, while keeping things simple and JOINable.

My worry is that cost of replacing JOINs with get_logs_blah() for pervasive stuff (ie:recent activity block, stats) will be significant.

So my proposed approach is to log it to a file... then batch-INSERT it to mdl_log (from cron for instance). Batched INSERTs are a lot cheaper than an INSERT per row -- that holds true across all the RDBMSs Moodle supports these days.

This can be drafted and perf numbers obtained with relatively modest effort...

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Martin, we (the OU) did that in our Moodle 1.9 site.

In Moodle 2.x we have achieved a similar speed-up with a sneaky trick. mdl_log is a view that aggregates a small table where write are redirected, and a bit table that is basically read-only. The advantage of doing it this way is that it is transparent to Moodle, so no core code changes.

Even so, a very large mdl_log table still starts to cause performance problems. Talk to anyone who hosts large Moodle sites. The only option is to regularly throw away most of the log data (or copy it to somewhere else if you really want to keep it) but then it is really no longer joinable, and anyway we want to keep this data for analytics and research. 

There is a forum thread on the Future major features forum that these comments might be better on. smile

It's only an avatar...
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Michael.

I have just noticed that the heading in the notice in the Moodle programming course http://dev.moodle.org/course/view.php?id=7 the date is shown as 26 Feburary 2012 although in the information it does say 2013.

Picture of Helen Foster
Re: General Developer Meeting, 07:00 UTC tomorrow
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Well spotted Mary, I've just corrected it.

Just a little reminder for everyone that we're meeting in less than 24 hours from now!

sad

I f#$%#$% missed it. By now I should know how to keep track of meeting times in UTC (it's what we do at OLPC!) yet I got it 12hs off.

So here, disappointed at 2PM EST. Bed was nice and cozy at 2AM mixed

Reading chat log and related materials...

Picture of Paul Nicholls

Bah - so did I!  I could've sworn I added it to my Outlook calendar so I'd be reminded by my phone, but no notification... and no sign of it in my calendar any more!

Picture of Helen Foster
Re: Feb 2013 General Developer Meeting - notes now available

Never mind, the meeting notes and chat log are now available - docs.moodle.org/dev/Developer_meeting_February_2013 - and it's not long till the next meeting in April.