Drawing Question Type?

Drawing Question Type?

by Ali Hastie -
Number of replies: 7

I have tried looking for a drawing based question type for Moodle 2.4 but can't seem to find anything.

Member of our staff are looking to have students draw  lines of connection on a electrical image diagram within a quiz question. 

They are also looking for the students to colour lines on a electrical image diagram. I know we could use the essay type question to upload files, but this would require time for the students to work on these diagrams outside the quiz.

Anyone have ideas or tips?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ali Hastie

Re: Drawing Question Type?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I am afraid that nothing like this exists yet.

Acutally, have a look at https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=qtype_ddimageortext. If you used that creatively, you might be able to make a question where students complete an electric circuit by dragging in missing components, but it does not let you draw arbitrary lines.

I think queston types like that show that it would be possible to create a new question type that works the way you want, but someone would have to develop them. (That would be a fun project if anyone wants a challenge. smile)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ali Hastie -

Thanks Tim

We currently use the ddimageortext for certain circuit building among other uses throughout all our subjects, which works wonderfully. Though, I can see why the staff wish for the students to have more control (or more creatively as you say) as such in annotating (the answers are not in front of them) the circuits etc. 

Cheers

In reply to Tim Hunt

by George Fang -

Hi,

Where should one start if he wants to develop a new question type. Is there a tutorial on programming a new question type?

Thanks.

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Bernard Boucher -

Hi Ali,

I will use probably that  http://webphysics.davidson.edu/applets/circuitbuilder/default.htm circuit simulator in  my project Socrate. I just see that it don't works on the Ipad ( i have tested it last year and it worked on my desktop ;-egg 

With some javascript added, it is possible to let applets or applications like these interact with normal Moodle quiz. I am in the process of integrating a similar program to Moodle and initials results are probants wink But I am slow and the circuit simulator will not be treated before next fall!

I hope it may help,

Bernard

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You can use the PoodLL recording question type to draw pictures in quiz questions. 

It works pretty much how you describe. I made a little video of me doing an electrical diagram.

Justin

(I am the PoodLL guy)

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Justin Hunt

by Ali Hastie -

Thanks guys

Will be looking at both options in some way or another. Though, PoodLL looks very interesting as I installed on a test server.

Thanks