Installation help

Picture of Dan O'Reilly
GIT -- Updating a shared Host Moodle

Hi,

This is probably a rather lame question but I want to confirm what I believe to be the case.  I have been experimenting with using GIT to update my install of Moodle on my laptop, and find it very useful and efficient.  However, I manage a couple of Moodle installations that are on shared Hosted services.  My question .... In order to use GIT on those hosted installations, I assume that I have to install GIT on the server of the Hosted service and then create a Moodle repository, with the Moodle version I want to 'pull' into the 'moodle' directory.  This assumes that my Host provider will let me install GIT.  Can anyone confirm this to be the case? 

Thanks for taking time to answer.

Average of ratings: -
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: GIT -- Updating a shared Host Moodle
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Your host provider would not let you install software like git on their server.

It is possible that they already have it installed. Do they allow you command-line access at all?

If not, you may have to do the git operations on your own computer, and then copy the files to your server, but that is less convenient and less reliable.

(There is a third option, which is to write a PHP script to do the comman-line operations, even if you can't. For example, you can write a script

<?php system('git pull'); ?>

but that is a bit of a hack.)

Picture of Dan O'Reilly

Thanks Tim,

What you state is what I was suspecting.  I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something obvious.

Dan

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary

Actually, if your host does not currently have git installed, it is worth asking their technical support if they could add it. I know some hosts used to have cvs installed to help people install and upgrade software,

Even if they say no, but asking, you make them aware that you want it. If enough people ask, they may even think again.

Picture of Howard Miller

I managed to compile a local copy of Git in my own 'user space' on a shared server a while back. This depends on having the necessary tools available.

It wasn't too difficult but I was just being awkward as the server owner had refused to install Git for some spurious reason wink