kinda lost

kinda lost

by Mary Beth -
Number of replies: 15

I am setting up moodle for the first time.   I've gone tru a lot of settings and tried to set up a course. 

using 2.4.1
php 5.3.15
scorm packages built with articulate

ok, questions -

how is a scorm package properly imported on the page to add a scorm package?  can I upload all the parts in a group, or does it need to be zipped?

I attempted to upload a zipped file and the test page is blank, but says I attempted the course.  I'm assuming I've done something wrong in the import, but I can't find anywhere to edit/update the scorm package.   Can someone point me to this button?

I could use someone to discuss with me what the best way is to accomplish my goal. I have 4 courses.  Most people will only choose one of the courses ever. The only requirement to pass the course is to view the entire course. The course is scorm content only.  I would like to see the student be able to stop and start the course at will, so they could for example - go home from work and finish the quiz.  I would like to know where everyone is in the course to watch for trouble points in the courses.

(Edited by Mary Cooch -

to remove job advert, since they are not allowed in the forums according to our code of conduct http://docs.moodle.org/en/Moodle.org_forums_Code_of_Conduct

original submission Friday, 15 February 2013, 7:51 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Beth

Re: kinda lost

by Abhi puri -

Hi Mary Beth, we've been using articulate published scorm's in moodle for over 3 years now, I can certainly help you with this. We upload the scorm as an activity to a course (instead of an entire course being scorm), I'd like to know what course format you're using and what the file structure is when you unzip the scorm package you're uploading.

As far as start/stop goes, I know scorm communicates all the interactions to moodle as the users clicks thru, thus it should ask the user if they want to resume where they left off (if you have it not set to launch as new attempt everytime). Tracking where the users are is a little bit of a challange with moodle scorm reporting. You might need a custom module or some custom php scripts to poke at the data in the scorm track tables.

Let me know how you'd like to discuss all of this.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Abhi puri

by Mary Beth -

lol, I don't even see a way to add an activity to a course, lol..  and I can't edit the scorm thing I put up on one course..  did i turn something off in the settings that I shouldn't have?

Feel free to message me and let me know how we can chat

I remember feelng this confused about Joomla years ago, and it's just because it's so extensible and has so many features that my simple task is lost in the translation somewhere. 

(sorry for the bad post, I'm just in need of some comprehension lessons)

In reply to Mary Beth

by Mary Beth -

these are created by another tech.  My job is to get them posted. 

the format they're exported to is scorm 1.2, not 2004.
the files come as an unzipped folder.   imsmanifest.xml is in the root of that folder.  there are 3 folders inside with lms, mobile, and story-content.  (I wouldn't know if this is normal or not)

In reply to Mary Beth

by Abhi puri -

Gotcha. So you'll need to create a zip-file, with the manifest file sitting in the root directory (not 2 levels down.. its whacky i know :D ).

In the add activity dropdown, you should be able to upload SCORM, we use SCORM1.2 as well.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Abhi puri

by Mary Beth -

there's the rub.. I can't see an activity dropdown.. maybe I turned that off?

In reply to Abhi puri

by Mary Beth -

with abhi's assistance I was able to make some progress.  I'm kinda stuck again.  I've uploaded my scorm 2.1 format course as an activity...  ok, this took a lot of work and there may be something I've done wrong here..

My course is huge..  304 mgs.  I can't get the php file upload lmit large enough for that, lol. 

I tried uploading this to the moodledata folder, but no matter where I put it, i can't find it to use for the choice to use a server file.

I tried uploading something (a picture) to my "private files" to help me locate where to upload something, but can't find it in the moodle data folder or anywhere else, lol.  Is there a setting somewhere that will tell me the moodledata path I entered to check if it's right? Or can someone tell me where I would upload this stuff to use with those choices?

I finally came across the less secure and less recommended way of using "downloaded files"...  This seems to work and lets me save the activity and then shows it to me...  (I uploaded an unzipped version of my scorm and pointed the url to the manifest file.)

nothing.. I get no video, nothing happens, no toc..  sigh...  It says you will be directed to this activoty in a few seconds..  and nothing...

I have tested it with reload scorm 1.2 player.   and it plays just fine. It also plays fine in my browser.  I have tried a variety of browsers to test it, and I get nothing.

If it's the video that's the problem, then some questions that might be asked would have to do with TIN.  Shouldn't this play anyway, if nothing else..  even if it had tin capabilities?  I realize that tin isn't handled well in moodle, but I'm watching that ticket with baited breath. 

Any wisdom from moodle gods of any skill level would be welcome.  I am just not getting why my videos won't play in this.  I tried another video without tin involved and it also does the same thing. 

In reply to Mary Beth

by Mary Beth -

ok, I re-read the thing about reload and it says to oen it and save it, not just see if it plays...  So,  I did this, and used the "downloaded package" method.  still nothing.. 

this page on the faq to check for slash characters says my server health is fine..

SCORM forces what is referred to as "slash arguments" - Unfortunately, some PHP servers don't allow this method and your SCORM objects may not display. This affects IIS 5 and earlier, and some Apache servers. Under IIS 5 and earlier, a workaround using an ISAPI re-write tool can be used, Apache users should look at this link: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installation_FAQ#Uploaded_files_give_.22File_not_found.22 - A check on the admin/tool/health/index.php page is also made to see if slasharguments is supported - visit http://yourmoodlesite/admin/tool/health/index.php to check to see the status of slasharguments on your server.

In reply to Mary Beth

by Abhi puri -

Hi Mary Beth,

Uploading a file used to be alot straight forward in moodle1.9x, in 2.0 and up the paths are saved as encrypted hashes, makes it a little more challanging. If you're having trouble with a 300M+ zip file, here's what I would do.

1) upload the xxxxx.zip file to your webserver (or ftp server whichever you prefer), rename the zip file to png. so xxxxx.zip becomes xxxxx.png

2) goto your course, and edit the scorm, pop open the file browser, navigate to private files and create yourself a folder there.

3) enter the newly created folder, then hit the add file + button

4) select URL path download, and give it the full http or ftp url to your 'png' file. For some reason moodle does not like downloading from a url with zip (probably security)

5) once the file is downloaded, rename it to the .zip name

6) Select it as your scorm file! smile

for later on, you could add a private file block to your admin view of the site.

let me know if you wanna do this over skype.

In reply to Abhi puri

by Mary Beth -

Ok, after throwing a little fit and having a bad weekend, I'm back, lol...

Here's what I find when I trr to play my vid..

Line: 1
Char: 13359
Code: 0
URI: http://mydomainname.com/lib/javascript.php/1360694841/mod/scorm/module.js

The problem is,  module.js doesn't even have a character 13359.

Is my moodle install broken?

I see no toc, and nothing plays at all. 

Ahbi, if the offer is still open, I'd like to send you a copy of my vid and see if it will play in a workng moodle, or if this is a settings issue on my end.  

In reply to Mary Beth

by Abhi puri -

Sure, how big is the test video zip?

Do you wanna try it on  my testserver? i'll send you credentials in a private message.

- Abhi

In reply to Mary Beth

by Tim Parham -

Site Administration -> Courses -> Add/edit Courses

Click the Add a new course button

Select the SCORM format, complete all the other necessary information and clic the Save changes button

Access your course by clicking the link (Course Short Name in breadcrumbs)

This should bring up the Adding a new SCORM package page, where you can upload your SCORM package.

In reply to Tim Parham

by Abhi puri -

Thanks Tim.

Is there a way to update the SCORM package after yo upload it to the SCORM format course? I remember fiddling with this a couple of years back in moodle 1.9x and then there wasn't.

Instead of going for course format "scorm", we decided on rolling everything out as topics format with scorms being activites and found we could easily update a scorm, say if we spotted a spelling mistake in our published material.

Ability to update / replace an already updated SCORM in a scorm format course is where I believe she's hittin a roadblock at.

In reply to Abhi puri

by Mia Musolino -

yes, you can replace the scorm package w/ a new updated one. Just upload again and if it has the same name moodle will ask if you want to replace it or give it a new name. I usually replace.

In reply to Mia Musolino

by Abhi puri -

But where, am I missing something?

Yes - the first time around, when I was creating the SCORM course, I was able to drag drop my zip file into a file uploader. Once I saved the course, and have an attempt on the SCORM, I do not see anywhere to upload / change the SCORM zip file associated with the SCORM course.

On the other hand in Topics format I am freely able to change, upload SCORM activity files w/o a problem.

In reply to Abhi puri

by Mia Musolino -

You need to edit the SCORM/AICC Settings block on the left. I don't use drag and drop but if you go into the SCORM settings for the scorm activity you can upload the file again.