PHP 5 and acceleration

PHP 5 and acceleration

by Tim Allen -
Number of replies: 1
Hi fellow moodlers,

I have just upgraded my server to PHP5. Previously, I was using the Ioncube PHP Accelerator to accelerate my moodle and other PHP scripts. However, after some research the only accelerator that seems ready for use with PHP 5 was the Zend Optimizer.

Neither Ion cube nor the Alternative PHP Cache (APC) seem to be compatible with PHP5. Turk MMCache is no longer being developed, but it continues under another name as e-accelerator at http://eaccelerator.net/HomeUk. This one seems the closest to being usable with PHP 5, but even here there is mention of some bugs and not using it on a production server.

This just leaves the Zend Optimizer as an accelerator solution. Zend doesn't cache, it just optimizes the code. Anyway, I have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know any other PHP accelerators that may be used reliably on a production server with PHP5?

2. How does the Zend Optimizer compare with other alternatives for PHP acceleration? Should I be satisfied with its performance, as opposed to other possibilities?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice! smile
Tim.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Allen

Re: PHP 5 and acceleration

by Genner Cerna -
My question is eaccelerator compatible with phpa and compatible with php 4.xx version?