General add-ons

Picture of Carlos Alexandre Fonseca
New activity: Simple Certificate
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have released a new 'Simple Certificate' activity module, which can be found in the plugins database here: https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_simplecertificate

This module is based on certificate module, maintained by Mark Nelson, but simpler to use, no needs to change any code to add a new certificate format, and moodle's administrator don't need to upload image files or change language variables. The certificate text are full customisable, using special text marks that will be replaced by variables (like student name, course name, grade, ...).

Feel free to let me know about any bugs or improvements (preferably via the Bugs & Issues link, on the page linked above).

Average of ratings:Useful (4)
Picture of German Valero
Re: New activity: Simple Certificate
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

Hi Carlos,

I translated the simple certificate language strings into Mexican spanish at AMOS (http://lang.moodle.org/). I will try it in my local server and report to you.

It certainly looks very nice and useful.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)

That is great, thanks

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Marta Lopes

Hello Carlos,

I'm using the Simple Certificate plugin and accurate paste text and a picture on the back of the certificate on page 02.

Picture of Marta Lopes

Carlos, I find the code below, the file generated QRCode locallib.php referring to on page 02 of the single certificate, but each course to the back of the certificate must contain a list of course topics and signature of the school principal.

There is a possibility I ensirir an image, PDF or text on page 02?

/ / Add code certificade using QRcode, in a new page (to print in the back)
         $ pdf-> AddPage ();
         $ style = array (
             'border' => 2,
             'vpadding' => 'auto',
             'hpadding' => 'auto',
             'fgcolor' => array (0,0,0),
             'bgcolor' => false, / / array (255,255,255)
             'module_width' => 1, / / width of a single module in points
             'module_height' => 1 / / height of a single module in points
         );
         $ codeurl = "$ CFG-> wwwroot / mod / simplecertificate / verify.php? issuecert-$ code => code";
         $ pdf-> write2DBarcode ($ codeurl 'QRCODE, H', 10, 10, 50, 50, $ style, 'N');
         $ pdf-> SetFontSize (10);
         $ pdf-> setFontStretching (75);
         $ pdf-> Text (9, 60, $ issuecert-> code);

return $ pdf;
     }

In this plugin it's not possible to do that, put an image on page 2.

You can  create an image with all you needs ( borders, signature, ...)  and puts on page one, or put the course topics in certificate text.

I think you the Mark Nelson's certificate module  will be better to you, because it's more simple to modify a certificate php code.

Mark Nelson's and my plugin uses TCPDF lib, and it's not difficult to use it, has many examples

Marta, porque estamos escrevendo em  inglês ???  smile

Picture of Marta Lopes

Carlos, eu achei que era possível, visto que, no arquivo mod_form.php poderia acrescentar um campo 'imagem_back' semelhante ao da pagína 01 onde o administrador do curso faz upload de uma  imagem de fundo do certificado e no arquivo locallib.php direcionar a impressão para essa imagem, ou seja, ao invés de imprimir o QRCode imprimiria essa imagem.

Seria tudo de bom...pois o seu plugin é mais fácil para manusear.

Obrigada pelo retorno.

Abraços

Possível é,  só que esse plugin não faz isso, não na versão atual, quem sabe no futuro.

Assim como é possível colocar a image e o QR code juntos,  vou colocar como uma melhoria futura.

Picture of Marta Lopes

Carlos, só não mencionei a impressão do  QR Code Junto com os demais itens do verso do certificado, porque não usamos a impressão do QR Code,inclusive a impressão do QR Code poderia ser opcional.

Após fazer várias pesquisas com colegas que trabalham com o moodle, constatei que 99%  dos orgãos públicos trabalham com a emissão de certificado,contendo frente e verso e, no verso há apenas descrição dos tópicos abordados no curso e assinatura do diretor.Atualmente a maior parte das pessoas ainda emitem certificados fora do moodle.

Portanto, o ideal é que duplique dois campos o certificateimage (certificateimageback) e o certificatetext(certificatetextback) e dessa forma poderiamos fazer upload da imagem,incluisve com as assinaturas que desejamos, e manusear o texto do verso com a mesma facilidade do texto da primeira página.No certificate.php imprimir o arquivo com  a imagem e texto informados no mod_form.php na segunda página no verso.

Vou aguardar uma versão futura..rss

Picture of Alberto García Gómez

Hi Carlos, I have downloaded Simple Certificate for Moodle 2.3 and I think it is a great contribution. Thank you very much.

However I have been a problem with the QR code: I get an error when I access the link generated by the QR code:

error/Invalide certificate code

If the QR code is: f345c4e0-8182-11e2-afa8-4b7df1272463 it generates de folowing link:

http://[our_url_moodle_server]/mod/simplecertificate/verify.php?code=f345c4e0-8182-11e2-afa8-4b7df1272463

Can I disable the QR page in the certificate?
---
Alberto García Gómez
This is odd, because i have tested it, the code is the same that was printed below QR code picture? it's the same at mod/simplecertificate/report.php ? (column code). 
In this version you can't disable it, may be in future version.
---
Carlos, when I launch mod/simplecertificate/report.php I obtain this message:

There are no certificates that have been issued

I'll test version 1.2.3 for Moodle 2.4 and I'll tell you if it works fine.

---

Hi Carlos, I have tested simple certificate 1.2.3 in Moodle 2.4 and it occurs the same error with the QR code...

I have attached some captures.

Picture of Marta Lopes

Hi Alberto, I use the Simple Certificate and Certificate and the two work perfectly, but my version is current and working with Moodle 2.4

As for your question Can I disable the QR page in the certificate?

Yes, you can open the file moodle / mod / simplescertificate / locallib.php and place the passage (lines 513-528) in comments below:

/ * Add code certificade using QRcode, in a new page (to print in the back)
       $ pdf-> AddPage ();
         $ style = array (
             'border' => 2,
             'vpadding' => 'auto',
             'hpadding' => 'auto',
             'fgcolor' => array (0,0,0),
             'bgcolor' => false, / / array (255,255,255)
             'module_width' => 1, / / width of a single module in points
             'module_height' => 1 / / height of a single module in points
         );
         $ codeurl = "$ CFG-> wwwroot / mod / simplecertificate / verify.php? issuecert-$ code => code";
         $ pdf-> write2DBarcode ($ codeurl 'QRCODE, H', 10, 10, 50, 50, $ style, 'N');
         $ pdf-> SetFontSize (10);
         $ pdf-> setFontStretching (75);
         $ pdf-> Text (9, 60, $ issuecert-> code) * /

Hope this helps you ...

Thank you very much Marta. It works perfectly for me. I'll continue testing the module to find the problem...

Alberto, do this, please:

1. Assign a student to your course;
  2. Login as this student account (can use "login as" function);
  3. Get the certificate;
  4. Verify the QR code;
  5. Logoff and login as moodle Admin (as administrator);
  6. Go to report page and you should see the issueds certificate list;

This module don't save Admin's certificate

Thank you Carlos! Indeed, everything worked fine when I enrolled as a student.

I thought I had tested this option as a student, but I was enrolled as a non-editing teacher (I should change my role in any of the tests)... thoughtful

Sorry about the time I made ​​you lose. 

No problem

Alberto, this isn't an error, you don't has issued any certificate (as a student)! Admin certificates are not saved.

May be this is the cause your QR code error!

Please, vote in this module in Moodle Tracker,  to the moodle admin give me edit access to tracker, so i can use it to put improvements tasks and any one can report a bug (in moodle tracker).
https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-4120

Picture of Steve Giesel

Hi Carlos,

This may be an ignorant question but do I understand this module to allow for custom certificate?  I mean can I create a custom cert. in a PDF with appropriate spaces for customizable text, and just upload it into the system?

Thanks in advance, Steve

No, this module will create a PDF file, you must upload an image (background) with all stuff that not change  in certificate (like  signature, certificate title, watermark, seal, logos, .....). And you can write and a custom text with special marks that will be replaced by moodle's variables:

Imaging you are a student making the course "Advanced XTPO", and you generate your certificate, and the text of your certificate is:

Certificate

for

Advanced XPTO

to

Steve Giesel

March, 21 2013

In certificate configuration, in the certificate text  option will be :

Certificate

for

{COURSENAME}

to

{USERNAME}

{DATE}

This modules has other options like Certificate size,  text position, date format, ...

Picture of Steve Giesel

Thank you Carlos.  That isn't significantly different from the built-in certificate is it?

Steve

Which built in certificate ?  moodle don't have any built in certificate in your core code (as i know).

There is an another plugin called certificate,  maintained by Mark Nelson, as written in my documentation, and has a huge difference, in certificate module you must change php files (programatic) and upload it to change certificate format, and if you want a new border, watermark, you must upload it out side of moodle, the module configuration don't have this possibility and because this, backup don't work very well (i think).

But Mark Nelson has new ideas to a new certificate module, so i think the certificate module will be discontinued in future (again)!

Picture of Greg Sweeney

Works great with 2.4.3 so far.  Thanks for doing the mods.  One question: Is there a way I can add variables other than the ones you've listed in the module help?  Info from other global or custom fields?  I added a couple of unique fields to the user profile area and I need the info displayed on the cert.

Thanks,

Greg

In version 2.0 of this mod will be possible to add any user fields, including user custom fields, and has others enhancements, sugestions made here, like disabling QR code,  image and text in certificate back page.

You can see the progress at:

https://github.com/bozoh/moodle-mod_simplecertificate/issues?milestone=1&state=open

sorry, but until now i don't have an moodle tracker write access,  so i use github

Picture of Luiggi Sansonetti

hi

just for information, french language file (thanks to Daniel Methot) is updated in AMOS system for all Moodle 2.x versions.

cheers.

That's great!

More than 1000 downloads,  that's great,  thanks for all

Picture of max max

you can add in the certificate list of fully equipped Scorm with the completion date?
something like the attached file

No you can't

Hello again Carlos, I think I found a little bug in this module.

With the module installed, if I try to launch an activity report I get an error message that says it can not access the table "simple_certificate" (in debug mode).

I tried to copy the table "simplecertificate" into a new table called "simple_certificate" and the error has been fixed.

Added in issue tracker, thanks

Thanks to you!

it's fixed in version 2.0.0

New version has come,  version 2.0.0,  with many improvements like:

• 2-side certificate with text and image;
  • disabling QR code;
  • user's profile fields (user custom fields too)

Enjoy

This plugin is now available to moodle 2.5

Picture of Toshihiro KITA

Thank you very much for releasing this great plugin and updating it for moodle 2.5!

As i tried to include Japanese characters in the cerficate, i found a way to do that.
i just added the description to http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Simple_certificate_module#Languages_with_special_character .

I see your modifications in docs, thanks, 

this an TCPDF problem  which don't use only complete UTF-8 charset fonts !,  so you must install a new one.

More about this problem: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5333702/tcpdf-utf-8-problem

Solutions: Install new fonts in TCPDF folder, in moodle lib (lib/tcpdf/fonts/)
http://www.tcpdf.org/fonts.php
http://sandeepverma.wordpress.com/2009/12/10/create-tcpdf-php-fonts/

On-line converter (not tested)
http://www.xml-convert.com/en/convert-tff-font-to-afm-pfa-fpdf-tcpdf

B.Havel

Thanks, well done, local font solved.

Bohus

Picture of Mark Watson

Hi Carlos, I've installed Simple Certificate 2.02 (2013070501) into Moodle 2.5.1 (20130712). I can get the text to appear in the Certificate (provided the only <p></p> surrounds all the HTML) but I cannot get the font face and size to change.

My installation is on WIndows Server 2008 with IIS 7.5, PHP 5.5.0, MySQL 5.6.12.2.

you must install fonts in tcpdf folder in moodle (lib/tcpdf/fonts) ,  moodle provided by default a small numbers of fonts to reduce "moodle size"

Try to use <H1> tags,  and do not use css files or class,  use <span> tags

Picture of Sikandar Hayat

Hi,

I am new to moodle and my first add-on is simple certificate and found it very useful and easy. Just one suggestion if can be consider to add a unique certificate number (auto generated) and provided a variable of the same so it can be displayed on the certificate.

thanks

This plugin already has this function,  the QR code does just that.

All  issued certificates has an unique auto generated code, and when the certificate is issued a barcode (QR type) and the textual code are shown on the second page.

The certificate can be verified in URL   http://<YOUR MOODLE URL>/mod/simplecertificate/verify.php

I think you asking to put textual code without QRcode, like {CERTIFICATECODE} text mark,  ok i could do that in next version

Picture of Sikandar Hayat

Hi,

Yes you understood perfectly,

"I think you asking to put textual code without QRcode, like {CERTIFICATECODE} text mark,  ok i could do that in next version"

this is the feature I am looking for. tks sikandar

Picture of Romulo Afonso

Olá Carlos,

É possível neste módulo realizar a liberação do certificado apenas quando o aluno atingir uma nota X (60% por exemplo)?

Caso seja possível, como eu poderia configurar esta opção?

Romulo, esse fórum é em inglês, o fórum em português é https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=230459, mas tudo bem eu traduzo aqui.

O moodle que oferece isso para qualquer tipo de plugin, acredito que tenha que ativar algo na configuração do curso , procure por conditional activities, algo assim

--- Romulo Afonso

Hello Carlos,
This plugin can only issue certificate only if the student reaches a score X (for example 60%​​)?

If possible, how can I set this option?

--- Anwser

Moodle has this function to all modules, i think you must enable something in the course settings, look for Conditional Activities.

Picture of Romulo Afonso

Obrigado pela resposta Carlos,

Contudo, esta opção conditional activities ficava dentro do módulo de certificado anterior. Ou seja, era configurada diretamente no certificado qual atividade o aluno deveria fazer para liberar o certificado ou qual a nota final do curso. O seu módulo não dispõe desta opção?

--Thanks for the reply Carlos,

However, this option was conditional activities within the module of the previous certificate. Ie was configured directly on the certificate which activity the student must do to release the certificate or where the final course grade. Your module does not have this option?

Picture of Alfredo Ruiz

Hi, Carlos. Nice Job with the plugin.

I've installed and tested it and i really like it. There's some issue that i'd like to tell you about: When you use an empty parragraph tag in the text box, the whole text disappears. I mean that if i use <p></p> in the html code, the whole text get lost, whereas using </br> tags works fine. I've tried in different browsers with the same behavoir. It's not a big deal, just a bit odd.

Does it happen to you, or should it be something about my theme, browser, or whatever?

Thanks.

I didn't understand where the text disappears,  in the textbox or in the certificate file  (PDF )?

If in PDF file, it's never happen with me, and it's first time someone report it.

if in Textbox:
I use the same textbox used by many others plugins, it's part of moodle's libs, so try to use textbox of others activity, like forum , if you have the same problems it's something wrong with your browser, or at your moodle installation.

There is some plugins in the browser can help you ,  like firebug for firefox

Picture of Alfredo Ruiz

It's in the pdf. The textbox works fine, but when you generate the certificate, it shows only the background image without any text.

I'll try to find out if it's browser related or something in my moodle installation.

Thanks smile

OK,  put your moodle in debug mode, could help,  anyone more has this issue ?

Verify your html code, tcpdf has a limited HTML support, so don't use too much elaborated HTML,  verify text position,  alignment , tables work better for text position with TCPDF.

New plug-in version available

• plug-in version for moodle2.2 is now fixed (it's was broken);
  • some deprecated warnings is now fixed;

Picture of Ismail Aksoy
Ynt: Re: New activity: Simple Certificate

Hi Carlos,

How can i add course score to the left top corner and course completion date to right top corner?

Picture of Petr Váňa
Re: Ynt: Re: New activity: Simple Certificate

I found your add-on very usefull for me , but I have problem I need to insert into text new empty line. I try add <br> or empty paragraph and after this is certificate empty - only backround picture. Without "empty lines" is everythin OK. I need to add some text into right bottom corner too, is this possible?

Picture of Alfredo Ruiz

Petr, i haven't looked into it yet, but i had the same problem. Any time a i used <p></p> empty tags, it dissapeared. It must be something about my moodle theme or moodle installation. Anyway, my point is that maybe if you just use <br> for spacing, instead of <p></p> it would work.

Good luck.

What theme are you using ? this is very strange

Picture of Ismail Aksoy
Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: New activity: Simple Certificate

Dear Carlos,

Is it possible to make certificates can only be created and printed by admins for the students? If not, it's a feature request smile

Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: New activity: Simple Certificate

Like bulk certificate creation, for all students (or other roles)?, in this version, no

Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: New activity: Simple Certificate

bulk certificate creation, for all students (or other roles), some problems:

1. Select which roles to do this, or only students (or student like)
  2. certificates with conditional activities
  3. put all certificate in one big pdf or separate files (separate pdfs i thinks is better)
  4. if separate, creating a zip file with all pdf... maybe to download all certificates at once

but why not let the students issue their own certificates?  you want to print it and send to your students ? ,  if no i don't see any benefit to do that.

Picture of Ismail Aksoy
Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: New activity: Simple Certificate

No I don't want bulk certificate creation. I want to see the students who completed the course or exam then create certificate one by one. Print them to special papers and sign them. 

Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: New activity: Simple Certificate

To print, this request makes sense.

so, what i think about this request:

1. put a new option in "issue options", something like , 'not issue, user will recive this certificate using others ways', and put a new option which will be displayed to user  something like 'issue instruction' or 'issue text'
  2. in issued certificate list, add a button to issue all certificate (only students that reach the end of course conditions), with this you can download and print one by one;
  3. a button to download all issued certificate (separate files) and another to download one big pdf file with all issued certificate, it's good for printing

for now, you can create a certificate activity and use "login as" to download the certificate.

Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: New activity: Simple Certificate

try to use html tables, works better for text positioning,   and use the options certificatetextx  and certificatetexty  to positioning the text (in more option or advanced options)

http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Simple_certificate_module

Picture of Petr Váňa

Thnx, this really helps me. Html table works like a charm

Mark

Hi Carlos,

I am having difficulty with the certificate size.

I would like to create an A4 size "portrait" certificate.

When I change the landscape A4 size to portrait it seems to have no effect.

I am using a Simple Certificate that I downloaded a month ago so not sure if my issue exists in the new version.

Hope you can assist.

Mark

this plugin don't have portrait or landscape option, it has height and width sizes, but i think you made this right ....

i will test this, but it was working

Picture of Nikola Ivanovic

Hi Carlos,

great module, simple and easy to use!

1. Is there a way to put QR code on the same page with other info (front page)?

2. Is there a way to generate unique code/number printed on certificate for each student?

Many thanks,

Nikola

1- Until now no, QR code only in the second page (back of certificate),  but i can create an option to do that, something like "Which page QR code will be printed?", with option (Front page, Back page), with back page as default;

2- As i say before,  only the unique code, without QR barcode is not possible, but it will be in the next version;

Picture of Nikola Ivanovic

Hi, that would be very good - to create a page selection for QR code, and position as well.

Nikola

Positing QR code it's possible in current version, but not in frontpage, i put your suggestion in  my github

you can follow it at  https://github.com/bozoh/moodle-mod_simplecertificate/issues/23

Picture of mariah lewis

"Hi, that would be very good - to create a page selection for QR code, and position as well.  "

but how to place with barcode?

Why use barcode ?,  QR code can be read by any webcam, cellphone cameras,.... I don't see any advantage to put in barcode.

QR code is more appropriate to "encode" URL

Picture of mariah lewis

how to encode url into qr code ?

the  TCPDF lib has support to QR code,  but a simple google search i found

http://raidenii.net/files/datasheets/misc/qr_code.pdf

http://www.thonky.com/qr-code-tutorial/

Daniel

Bonjour,

I have this error message :

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$numsections in /home2/elearnin/public_html/formations/mod/simplecertificate/lib.php on line 615

Moodle 2.5.1

Daniel

i didn't try in moodle 2.5.1, but i tested it in 2.5, and this warnings were removed, you get the latest version?

This is not an error it's only a notice, try to disable the debug mode.

Picture of Petr Váňa

I have similar problem after swap height and width size no change on certificate appear. I have problome with other choices too, if I disable QR or change vertical or horizontal text position - still no change. May be problem is that I use only Save and Display to check certificate. May be result is cached somwhere or what?

Thanks for Answer

Swapping height and width, making an portrait certificate,  i wasn't tested,  but i think it's ok, i will test this, but disable QR code and change text position is tested and works ok, many people use this, especially disable QR code

For text position  i recommend to use tables,  the pdf lib which come with moodle (TCPDF) works better with table

Picture of Ian Johnstone

Hi Carlos - I am looking for a way to create a single page certificate that displays a learners results (quiz names and scores of approx. 6 quizzes) from a single course on the one certificate. Is there a way to do this with this plug in?

Until now it's not possible,  you can display only the course grade (results).

I can put this as a new feature, but i don't think it be ready at next version.

Picture of Matthew heddle

Okay, so forgive me because I am a newbie. I have installed this plugin and everything checks out. My question is how does the certificate get implemented? Does the certificate become available when the user completes the course within the conditions set for completion? Does the Teacher/Administrator have to make it or send it to them? There is no indication of a certificate when someone completes my course. The only place where there is anything about a certificate is in the Site Admin >Plugins >Simple Certificate. I don't see it anywhere in the Course Administration or in the user settings when they complete it. Please help.

I think i understand your question

Do you want know how to use this plugin.

All activity plugins works in the same way,  you must create an activity in your course to use it , like a forum, chat ...

For this plugin you must create an activity called simple certificate, and when you do this, the configuration page will show up and you can edit the options to create a custom certificate to that course.

When I install the plugin, it does create an Activity Module called Simple Certificate. I don't see anywhere to add an activity to my course. There is currently only one activity showing in my course via my SCORM package uploaded with my course.

I think that my issue is with Moodle not marking my course complete when someone passes the test. The test is the only measuing stick by which the course is marked complete, however, even though I have the course set to be marked complete when any of the conditions occur (complete activity of passing grade on test), it doesn't mark my course complete, and if I understand how your plugin works, it would trigger the ability for the certificate to be printed.

The plugin works like any other activity module,  if you must create it in your course to work !, and the user must click in the activity to get the certificate, it's not automatic !

If in you course you can only see SCORM upload  there is something wrong with moodle installation or you set your course format as SCORM,  try to change to topics, or weeks

Read more about moodle at:

http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/?lang=en

My course is not a Moodle course. It is a Flash course that uses JavaScript to send SCORM calls to an LMS. It is working properly as far a Activity(SCORM) and Course Completion tracking. It sounds as though the course must be one created in Moodle and will not work with something like this or something like an Articulate course. Is that right?

This plugin must be used in a moodle course, and you have one,  it's where SCORM activity is located.

Your SCORM packages has a sort of "webservice",  sending data to another LMS, and i think you use course completion webservice interface too.

This plugin don't have any webservice support, it can have in future ...

The SCORM calls from my FLASH course are basic LMS calls (initiate,complete, passed, score, etc). Is there some sort of call I can make in my JavaScript file to call the Certificate?  I guess I am confused on how this all works. How do I add the activity into my course, if at all? I can call non-SCORM functions from my JavaScript, but that won't work if Moodle doesn't recognize there is an Activity called "Certificate", right? You said "This plugin must be used in a Moodle coures", How do I use it IN my Moodle course?

Explanation "how moodle works" and "how using moodle" it's out of scope of this forum, who can find it at:

http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Using_Moodle_book

https://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=5

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/index.php?id=5

But it's the same way you used to create a SCORM activity , but you must choose "Simple certificate"

Picture of Gary Lyon

I recently upgraded to Moodle 2.5 and upgraded to your most recent version of Simple Certificate. When I print a certificate using the {DATE} option see (Screen Capture 1) the certificate  prints the numeral '1' where I've specified the date should appear.

In your previous response you referred me to http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.date.php for additional information on how to format the {DATE} variable but no matter how I try to implement your recommendation I do not get a date. As the 'help' for the certificate does not provide additional information, please provide some examples of how I would use the {DATE} variable. 

Thank you

here, my certificate and certificate configuration

Picture of Gary Lyon

Thank you very much...if it had been any more obvious I would have tripped over it. wink - Cheers!

Picture of Kindah Brennan

Hi, thank you for this plugin.  Your hard work is very much appreciated.  I have installed it on a 2.2 version of Moodle.  All works great except for the custom fields that I have created.  The certificate is not pulling the information from the short names created under Administration > Site administration > Users
> Accounts > User profile fields
.  I have tried all different combinations (i.e. PROFILE_PHOTOID, profile_photoid, profile_field_photoid, etc.)

Some of my fields below (custom ones not working):

Proof of Completion Certificate is presented to:
Name:  {USERNAME}    <--- works
Type of Photo ID:  {profile_field_photoid}  <--- no (custom)
ID Number:  {PROFILE_IDNUMBER}  <--- no (custom)
ID Expiration Date:  {PROFILE_IDEXPIRATION}   <--- no (custom)
Completion Date: {DATE}  <--- works
for Completion of {COURSENAME}.  <-- works

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

It depends on what shorname you used in your custom fields,  
if you created a custom field like:

• Name: Birth Day
  • Shortname: birthday
  • Type: Date

In certificate you must use  {PROFILE_BIRTHDAY}

PS:

1. User's Photo/image will not be displayed;
  2. IDnumer field is not a custom profile field (Only if you created one with same shortname);

Picture of adn ali

hi carlos and thank u for this great plugin.

i followed your instruction below :

It depends on what shorname you used in your custom fields,  
if you created a custom field like:

• Name: Birth Day
  • Shortname: birthday
  • Type: Date

In certificate you must use  {PROFILE_BIRTHDAY} "

but i'm still facing problem , any other hints which can help .

my moodle is 2.4

many regards

And what's problem do you have ?!?!?

New Version Released - v.2.1.0

New version is released, 2.1.0

and i will not apply new stuffs in this plugin for moodle 2.3 and 2.2, this is the last version for them

Changes:

version - 2.1.0
-Put code in a text mark (#17)
-Bulk Operations (#21)
-QR Code in frontpage (#22)
-Background images not required item (#27)

---FIXED BUGS
-Issue options send as email: conding_excetpion thrown (#22)-slabrador

see at:
https://github.com/bozoh/moodle-mod_simplecertificate/issues?milestone=4&page=1&state=closed

Picture of Kate Hayes
Re: New Version Released - v.2.1.0

Hi Carlos

I've been using your earlier Simple Certificate with great results and thought that I'd upgrade to your newly released version as I've had a request for the QR code to be on the frontpage.

Having got the new version, I am now getting an error message of 'No Users Found'.    I'm hoping that you might be able to assist.

Regards

Kate

Re: New Version Released - v.2.1.0

And when you get that, trying to do what ?

Picture of Ken Task

Just attempted upgrading via Moodle Interface for upgrading plugins.

Got to the screen for upgrading the DB for the plugin.  Clicked continue and blank screen after that. Purged all caches, cleared APC opcode cache, removed browser cookie.   Could login again, but ... white screen of death (wsod) kicked in again.

Turned on debugging via config file as all screens were wsod.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /..../mod/simplecertificate/settings.php on line 36

CentOS release 6.4, PHP 5.3.3

Moodle: 2.4.6+ (Build: 20130913)

Line 38 of code contains:

tings->add(new admin_setting_configcheckbox('simplecertificate/disablecode',

To recover and be able to use the system, renamed the mod/simplecertificate folder to .simplecertificate (dot in front hides it from Moodle).  But, the one simplecert used is, of course, broken.

Fix?

Corrupted lines ... downloaded the plugin from plugins at Moodle.org.  Unzipped the zip locally, pulled up settings.php file in local text file, and copied the un-corrputed code into the settings.php file on server via terminal/nano.

Everything works now.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Thanks for sharing, may help someone.

I thing moodle has to improve this interface for upgrading,  like put an checksum to verify the downloaded file before install,  so corrupted download will be avoid.

i  open a ticket with your post

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-42063

Picture of Ken Task

Am assuming the links found in plugins via web and the updates point to the same .zip file.  From reply sounds like that's true and the package doesn't contain corrupted settings.php file.  The corruption occurred either on download or during the upgrade process ... which has to unzip the package.

Think vr 2.5.x does do some checking for validity of package/ downloads/etc.  Will check with that version when I find some time.  The version used with the issue was the highest 2.4.x.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of jeroen Arends

after upgrading to 2.1.1 the plugin does not work anymore. When a student tries to download a certificate they only get a blank screen.

Which moodle version?

The user Ken Task had the same problem, try this:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=222296#p1043264

Picture of jeroen Arends

i am using moodle 2.2

I don't have the same problem as ken. i can still access the site only the plugin does not function for the students. 

Picture of Ken Task

@jeroen Arends

Am running all moodles at 2.4 or 2.5 right now so don't know if 2.2 has this in the admin menu or not, but something to check

Site Admin - Users - Permissions - Capability overview

Set to student then search with the term 'simple'.

The 'mod/simplecertificate:view' should be allowed.

If you do NOT have that admin tool in 2.2, check the permissions on role of student.   Looking for the same above ... set to allow.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of jeroen Arends

permissions are set correctly. 

Picture of Ken Task

Well, then ????

Are you using login as 'student' when testing or do you have a true test student account?

Are you using completion criteria ...  ie, student must do A, B, C before they can get Certificate?  Is the activity set for groups?

Blank pages does indicate a problem, obviously ... the only other thing I could suggest is to turn on debugging and then login as a test student.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

My bad, there is a BUG in this versions, it fixed in github,  soon i will release a new version with bug correction and some improvements

Picture of Ken Task

Reporting another issue ... latest version of simplecert installed ... Moodle 2.4.highest - CentOS PHP 5.3.3.

Using latest FireFox.

[Wed Oct 09 18:00:53 2013] [error] [client IPADDRESSofclient] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined method core_renderer::tabtree() in /var/www/html/mod/simplecertificate/locallib.php on line 1083, referer: http://site/course/view.php?id=4

After setting up a simplecert, when clicking the link to it, get blank page with only header of the moodle site and the beginning of the rest of the page (blocks/content/etc are gone).  There is a 'box' started with certificate in the content area.  Switching themes made no diff.

Commented out the line referenced above: 1083

//      echo $OUTPUT->tabtree($tabs, $tab);

Now renders and can click links to acquire cert, but there might be some other functionality now broken ... don't know and really don't have the time right now to investigate more.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Colin Croft

Hi Carlos. First off, great plugin. Quick question for you. If I'm logged in as a user called Training Manager. When I navigate to the Issued Certificates tab for a course it lists the users who have certificates just fine. However, if I click on the PDF link, it opens up in a new browser window and instead of the {username} variable saying John Doe like it should it says Training Manager. If I navigate to Bulk Operations tab and download the certificate it has the correct name on it, John Doe.

Did I do something wrong? Maybe I have a configuration setting wrong?

I attached a screenshot and spliced the two screens so you can see that the certificate was awarded to John Doe but comes up as Training Manager.

Hi Colling,  seems  it's reissuing the certificate to current user (Traning Manager) than only download the generated certificate file.
Looks like a bug,  i will verify that

Picture of Colin Croft

Ok. I have some more info on how to reproduce the problem.

From memory, I logged in as Training Manager (which has the non-editing teacher role and can manage and view simple certificate) and before I went to 'issued certificates' and clicked on John Doe pdf link, I clicked on 'issue a test certificate' and Get Certificate. I then went to 'Issued certificates' and clicked on John Doe in which case I got Training Manager on the certificate not John Doe. So if you follow that process it will reproduce my problem.

Here is how I got it to work properly. I loaded a fresh moodledata and db and went a different route. This time, instead of Training Manager going to 'Issue a test certificate' I went directly to 'Issued certificates' and clicked on the link to John Doe pdf link. Everything displays as it should. It works! However, once the Training Manager clicks 'issue a test certificate' and 'Get Certificate' it looks to reissue the certificate using the Training Manager {USERNAME} not John Doe and the problem exists again. Once that happens John Doe never displays again correctly from the link inside 'issued certificates'.

Anyways, I can't find a way to disable the 'issue a test certificate' tab so I await your next reply. It would be a great addition to have a permission available for 'issue a test certificate' to turn it off because I know users with this role are going to click the 'Get Certificate' link and will not be able to get their students certificates.

Thanks Carlos!

-Colin

I was going to  asks how you get the bug, because i can't reproduce it, :D, but you has put the steps right now.

It's looks like some cache/temp file problems,

I follow your steps with an admin account and it's working properly, i don't test with non-editing teacher.

and what your moodle version ?

I tested with non editing teacher and works fine too

It's look like some tempfile problem, i will try to review my code to put more random strings in test certificate filename, it could avoid this problem

Picture of Colin Croft

I'm running 2013092800 with Moodle 2.5.2+ (Build: 20130913)

Is there a safe way to just comment out 'issue a test certificate' so the user with these permissions can't click 'Get Certificate' ?

Or maybe a file I can clean up in moodledata?

Picture of Colin Croft

I started with a fresh db and moodledata again and flushed the cache before doing any certificate generation. John Doe is coming up like it should even if I 'issue a test certificate' first using Training Manager. I'm still interested in turning on/off 'issue a test certificate' though in the permissions. I guess a feature request at this point. Thanks for checking on this though. Thanks Carlos.

Picture of Steve Witehira

Hi there,  

I am having a problem with the certificate issue. When a user finishes the course the certificate link becomes available.  But when the certificate is clicked I get the message: "The certificate can't be issued, because the user hasn't reached the course objectives" The objectives is 100 score completion and student even shows as passed. It is the same settings used with the previous version that works.  I have just updated to the latest Simple Certificate version, then when i got the error, tried to uninstall the module and re install it. Are there any ideas as to what might be causing the issue? I am running the latest version of 2.5.2+.

Cheers

Steve

this plugin checks Completion params and access restriction params, i think there is some completion configuration in your certificate activity (in Activity completion section)

Picture of Kate Rhodes

Hi there, I'm having the same trouble as Steve. I get the message "The certificate can't be issued, because the user hasn't reached the course objectives"... and I don't know how to fix it.

The certificate shows as being completed by the Activity completion, but it doesn't actually issue any certificates.

Help Please!!

Moodle has  conditional activities and activity completion ,  and this certificate has Required minutes in course too

1-Verify if there is no "conditional rules" to access he certificate;

2-Verify Activity completion section;

3-Verify Required minutes in course

Picture of Javier Angeles

Hi Kate...! did you solve this issue ?? I'm getting exactly the sama as you are.  Please give me some feedback. Thanks!!!!

Picture of John Anderson

Hi, I am seeing this issue too. I use 'activity completion' and 'completion tracking' all the time. But seems the S.C. might have a bug.

My certificate is set to "Student must view this activity to complete it", They click the SC link, viewing the SC activity, and there by complete it (it shows up completed in the course completion report block)

- but the page tells them:

The certificate can't be issued, because the user hasn't reached the course objectives.

Seems like the activity completion is being tested on issuing the certificate rather that viewing the view.php page, that lets the learner trigger the certificate ? I'm making a somewhat tested guess.

After I remove the activity completion setting "Student must view this activity to complete it",
learners can get to it just fine, let's then click "Get Certificate"

I'll try to compare code to the other certificate mod...

Picture of Aaron Bookvich

For some reason the {TEACHERS} variable does not show up any values on the certificate but the other variables are working fine? Any help is appreciated. I am running Moodle 2.5. Thanks!

It's works fine here, which moodle version ?

how many teachers ?

it's a non-editing teachers ?

New simplecertificate version v.2.1.2

Fixed BUGS:

1. #39 No certificate are displayed in moodle 2.2 bug
  2. #42 Fatal error: Call to undefined method core_renderer::tabtree() in /home/elo.ja.nl/www/mod/simplecertificate/locallib.php on line 1083 on moodle 2.4 bug
  3. #43 Error when upgrading - Moodle 2.4 branch bug
  4. #46 Bulk operations : Doesn't write the grade on pdf bug
  5. #47 Front text is printed in front and in back page, back text is ignored bug

Enhancements:

1. #41 improve {TEACHERS}
  2. #44 Add "send to e-mail" in bulk operation
  3. #48 Create a test case checklist
  4. #49 put a white background in QR code

Plugin version for moodle 2.6 is release !

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Picture of Hugh Edwards

Hi Carlos. 

Thanks for the plugin, it's exactly what I'm looking for. However, I have a problem with it: i have the issue options selected as Email User the PDF. I do get the email, but no attachement, even though it's coming up on-screen fine. 

Any ideas on howto fix this? Thanks!

Hugh. 

Picture of Hugh Edwards

Hi Carlos - I meant to say, I'm on Moodle 2.6 with the new version, but it happened in 2.5.1 for me as well exactly the same.....

If you have the last plugin version (2.1.2) you could try to send using bulk operations, please test it.
Some e-mail servers has a policy to not accept mail attachments, could be that too,  try other email.

In my test i used my gmail and hotmail accounts without any problem.

Picture of Hugh Edwards

Hi Carlos, 

Version is 2013111900. And as for Bulk Operations, do you mean sending a message to Bulk Users? You can't add file attachments in that. However I can confirm that Moodle is sending me through badges correctly which attach the JPG. I've also spoken to my hosting company and they confirm that there are no restrictions placed on my email sending - it will send email attachements up to 20MB. The PDF's are 1.1MB - and I am getting the email declaring that there is an attachment but there isn't one. 

Any ideas? smile

Hugh.

---And as for Bulk Operations, do you mean sending a message to Bulk Users?

No, if you access simplecertificate activity as admin, or as editing teacher, you will see an option called "Bulk Operations" (see attachment) , which you can mail the certificate to all users (or selected ones) in the course.

---I've also spoken to my hosting company and they confirm....

This problem is not in your service provide, it's not in sending, it's on service provide of the users which is receiving the e-mail, but you can test that using a another email, as i saying,  my test was made using gmail.com and hotmail.com recipients.

Picture of Hugh Edwards

Hi Carlos.

Thanks for the reply. I think the problem though is at this end rather than the users. I tested the bulk operations you suggested and again I received the email in exchange, and hotmail with no attachment. 

I turned verbose debugging on though and I have errors. Here are the issues in the log I can see which might be causing the problem - What do you think? ....I've commented at the end of the debug message btw.....

Debug:

Could not access file: E:\web\gravyforthe\htdocs\moodle\App_Data/E:\web\gravyforthe\htdocs\moodle\App_Data\temp\mod_simplecertificate\Tes8A1F.tmp

SMTP -> get_lines(): $data was ""SMTP -> get_lines(): $str is "220 sm10.internetmailserver.net

"SMTP -> get_lines(): $data is "220 sm10.internetmailserver.net

"SMTP -> FROM SERVER:220 sm10.internetmailserver.net

CLIENT -> SMTP: EHLO www.gravyforthebrain.com

-----blah blah blah------

"SMTP -> get_lines(): $data is "250 OK

"SMTP -> FROM SERVER:250 OK

CLIENT -> SMTP: QUIT

SMTP -> get_lines(): $data was ""SMTP -> get_lines(): $str is "221 Service closing transmission channel

"SMTP -> get_lines(): $data is "221 Service closing transmission channel

"SMTP -> FROM SERVER:221 Service closing transmission channel

TCPDF ERROR: Some data has already been output, can't send PDF file

-----

My guess is that this is a bug as it is trying to find:  

E:\web\gravyforthe\htdocs\moodle\App_Data/E:\web\gravyforthe\htdocs\moodle\App_Data\temp\mod_simplecertificate\Tes8A1F.tmp

....when it should be trying to find:

E:\web\gravyforthe\htdocs\moodle\App_Data\temp\mod_simplecertificate\Tes8A1F.tmp

I'd be grateful for your help on trying to fix this... smile

Could not access file: E:\web\gravyforthe\htdocs\moodle\App_Data/E:\web\gravyforthe\htdocs\moodle\App_Data\temp\mod_simplecertificate\Tes8A1F.tmp

It's a bug for windows environment only.

It's cause by  "folder separation string". I'm using linux , and this string is  '/' and in windows is '\', i will fix that

thanks for report!

Apply this patch ,  and try again, i think it's fix the problem

to apply the patch (must have git installed):

1-Download patch file;

2-copy to you moodle  mod/simplecertificate folder

3-use the command:  git am -3 0102-fixed-57.patch

4- remove 0102-fixed-57.patch

Picture of Hugh Edwards

Hi Carlos. 

Thank you for your time and effort. Unfortunately I'm on a hosted server and I recieved this from my support guys:

"GIT is a sofisticated version control software. We are not running GIT in our production shared environment, therefore, it is not possible to update/patch your moodle application running on our server with git. You can do so only in your local / development environment. "

Is there anyway you could send me the files I need so I can upload them? I have access to the back end db a well if necessary..

Thank you so much! smile 

Hugh.

Humm, send the file will be not possible, because has others modifications, i still developing it :D

but i will send am walkthrough (it's simple) to you:

in file mod/simplecertificate/locallib.php

inside function send_certificade_email($issuecert)

in lines (698 and 699):

$relativefilepath = str_replace($CFG->dataroot . '/', "", $fullfilepath);

if (strpos($relativefilepath, '/', 1) === 0)

change to:

$relativefilepath = str_replace($CFG->dataroot . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR, "", $fullfilepath);

if (strpos($relativefilepath, DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR, 1) === 0)

make a backup of the file before changes

Mark

Hi Carlos,

I notice that your certificate can be emailed to the student.

Would it be possible to re-notify the student via email that based on the certificate date that the course needed to be done again?  For example an annual Fire Safety compliance course. It would be good to be able to set the number of days between certificate issue and the reminder.

I hope this is possible smile

Cheers

Mark

I think this could be done with course completion settings , but i don't know if has an automatic way to do that.
I know a site which do this sort of thing :

http://alfred.cc/

It's a system that interacts with moodle, and sends, automatically, all kind of alerts to users, like:
- Users that not participate for more than X days;
- An activity near to expire and user must participate (sends only to user that not has completed the activity);
- New items in course;

Picture of Hugh Edwards

Hi Carlos, 

I've popped this into a different thread - I hope this is ok. Is there a way to edit the text/subject in the email that is sent to users? An XML file of something similar or is it hard-coded?

Thanks!

Hugh.

Yes, there is,  in  moodle translate tool you can do that

'emailstudentsubject' and 'emailstudenttext'

Picture of Ronnie Goodpaster

I installed the module in 2.6.  I can add Simple Certificate as an activity to a test course in weekly format.  However, when I login as a student, I can see all activities except for the certificate activity.  I have no restricted access or completion requirements set.  Am I missing something?  If I login with the admin account, the certificate activity displays appropriately.

Picture of Emma Richardson

Check your student permissions.

Picture of Ronnie Goodpaster

Thanks!  I spent an entire day on this.  Such a simple fix.  smile

Thanks for help, Emma

Picture of Yurov Ardyy

Hi, 

I just installed simple certificate the latest version just now, on a moodle 2.6 install on linux. 

I was wanting to know how do i get the certificate to appear when the student has completed the work. but not before.. is this possible. 

Many thanks for your help. 

I think it's possible using moodle completion framework

See

http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Category:Completion

Picture of Hugh Edwards

Hi Carlos, 

All is working brilliantly with this plugin - thanks for creating it. I've tried to change the text in the Lang>En>simplecertificate.php file for one of my on-screen messages - however this isn't reflected on-screen. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Is this caching somewhere etc?!

Thanks. 

Hugh.

Could be lang cache made by moodle,  it's good thing for production sites, but for developing ... ,  try to disabling it, o purge all caches. If doesn't work send me the page and the text you are trying to change, i can forgot to put it in lang "format".

Picture of Sarah Smith

Is there a way to have a fraction of an hour or a decimal in the Hours in course field?  Whenever I put something like .5 or 0.5 the hours field is blank on the certificate.  If I put in 1/2, it shows as 1 hour on the certificate.

Today, it's not possible to put a fraction , decimal hours

This option it's only to put how many hours this course is design for,
it's an 40 hours course, is 300 hours course ... and so on.

In my country this is a important information, for example MBA courses must have at least 240 hours. It's optional field (can leave it blank) and if you don't put {HOURS} in your certificate text, it don't display nothing.

In future versions this variable will not exists anymore, because you can simple substitute it by a text in your certificate, like  "Course duration (workload): 30 minutes"

Picture of Sarah Smith

Ok, thanks for the information.  We are using Moodle to track Continuing Education hours and some courses are only 30 minutes long.  I'll pass this along to my instructors.

Picture of Gary Lyon

Moodle v.2.5.1 + Oracle 11.2.0.1.0

Simple Certificate version 2013111200

------------------------------------------------

I have a course with four tests, and a certificate associated with each test. As configured, the certificates are only available when the related test is passed with a grade of 70% or higher. Each certificate is also configured to email the certificate to the student and notify the course administrator when the certificate is completed. I am experiencing a problem with messages being sent to the course administrator for two certificates when the link on the course main page is selected, and no message is being sent to the course administrator for one certificate when the 'get certificate' button is selected. The following are the exact symptoms for each situation

When I select the certificate link on the course home page

When I select ‘Get Certificate’

Category I Certificate

No message is sent to the course administrator.

(This is what I expect should  happen.)

Certificate is sent to the ‘student’ but no  message is sent to the course administrator.

(Why isn’t a message sent to the course administrator?)

Category II Certificate

Message is sent to the course administrator:

SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR has received their certificate: 'Certificate of Completion-Category II'

for P.O.S.T. State Certification Exams.

You can review it here:

https://nvelearn.nv.gov/moodle/mod/simplecertificate/view.php?id=10041&amp;tab=1

(Why is a message sent when the link to the certificate page is selected?)

Certificate is sent to the ‘student’ and the course administrator receives the following message:

SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR has received their certificate: 'Certificate of Completion-Category II'

You can review it here:

https://nvelearn.nv.gov/moodle/mod/simplecertificate/view.php?id=10041&amp;tab=1

(This is what I expect would  happen.)

Reserve Certificate

Message is sent to the course administrator:

SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR has received their certificate: 'Certificate of Completion-Reserve'

You can review it here:

https://nvelearn.nv.gov/moodle/mod/simplecertificate/view.php?id=10043&amp;tab=1

(Why is a message sent when the link to the certificate page is selected?)

Certificate is sent to the ‘student’ and the course administrator receives the following message:

SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR has received their certificate: 'Certificate of Completion-Reserve'

You can review it here:

https://nvelearn.nv.gov/moodle/mod/simplecertificate/view.php?id=10043&amp;tab=1

(This is what I expect would  happen.)

Here is how the course main page is set up...

Here is how each Certificate is configured with the exception of the 'Certificate Text' field which is different for each test that is associated with each Certificate.

Thank you for any assistance.

The notification messages should be sent  only when the user clicks in "get certificate", and only one time, even if user clicks many times in get certificate ...

The certificate sent to user's mail, should be sent every time the users clicks in "get certificate"

Anything different it's wrong and can be a bug,  i will test it, buti don't know when i will do it, if anyone can test it trying to reproduce this bug, will help me a lot.

Picture of John Anderson

Thank you for this great certificate module! I got it working just fine. One question:

If I set certlifetime = 0 will my certificates stay ? I want to keep our certificates

(Keep issued certificates for: (in Months) simplecertificate | certlifetime)

Thanks again 

Yes, if you put 0 or less deactivate certificate clean up during cron process

Picture of Michael Milette

Hi Carlos! As requested, here are my suggestions...

If you don't mind, I have a few suggestions for a future release of this wonderful plugin. Would it be possible to:

1) Update the description page so that it indicates that your plugin is compatible with Moodle 2.6? The Download versions page indicates that it is compatible with Moodle 2.6 but the Description page says it is only compatible up to Moodle 2.5. Can you ?

2) Have Moodle filter support? We run a bilingual (English/French) site where users would want their certificates to be created the in the current site language. The functions format_string() and format_text() would need to be applied. For more information, see http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Output_functions.

3) Have a dropdown menu containing a list of certificate templates so that they would not have to be re-created each time someone creates a course? That way one could load a certificate and then just make minor changes as needed.

4) Expand the fonts? No matter what I do, the font always seems to be narrow. I was also going to ask if it would also be possible to add more sizes so that I could make fonts larger but then realized that I could probably do that in HTML. Still, it would be nice to have sizes available up to 72 pt.

5) Make the QR code in the Test Certificate verifiable? Either that or include a message somewhere that says it can't be verified. I spent some time testing the QR code with my phone only to eventually realize that it wasn't the Captcha I was typing that wasn't working.

6) Give the code below the QR Code image a solid background colour in case it is printed over an image?

That's it for now. Thanks again for all your great work!

Best regards,

Michael Milette

Thanks to post here:

Here we go:

1.     Descriptions are old,  but installation instructions not changed, it's the same.
  2. I don't read this moodle doc yet, but i don't know how moodle framework can translate the certificate text, an images, to English, French , and so on i don't know if it is possible, it's better to do is create 2 certificate activities one with French other in English
  3. Template could be a good idea, user can configure and save as template, for now you can create a backup only with certificate activity, and you will have a "template" file
  4. I think it's possible, the problem is TCPF lib in moodle don't have  too many fonts,  you can install it in your moodle and use this http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Simple_certificate_module#Languages_with_special_character
    for size you can use html font size
  5. Administrator certificates are not saved, so can't be verified. The only way is using QR URL, see if code variable in URL is the same written below QR code image
  6. HUmm, i will fix that,  putting as bug in the issue track, next version will be fixed

Picture of Michael Milette

Thanks for the quick response Carlos.

2. You can create certificates that will work in any language by not having any text in the image and using Moodle's Multi-language content filter, included with Moodle, or the Multi-lingual Content filter which I find easier to use. Moodle supports many other filters to help transform information besides those used for multiple languages.

Our site makes extensive use of these to make strings appear in the users language. For example, using the Multi-lingual Content filter, the following would be inserted into a certificate to make the title appear in the correct language:

{mlang en}Certificate of Achievement{mlang}{mlang pt}Certificado de acordo{mlang}

(I don't speak Portuguese... hope I translated that correctly. I actually use English and French)

When the above string is processed through the format_string() or format_text() functions, it would filter out text tagged in languages other than the current language. This enables you to create a single certificate that works in any number of languages.

I noticed you are already using format_string() function in many places throughout the source code. I took a look at your code and noticed that there were just a few spots where a few more instances of the function in the locallib.php file is required.

For your convenience, I've submitted a pull request containing a few fixes:

https://github.com/bozoh/moodle-mod_simplecertificate/pull/68

Hope it helps. Feel free to ask if you have any questions regarding any of the changes.

Best regards,

Michael Milette

Ok, will do that, it's a good thing to plugin,  but for images it's not possible, could be, but very very difficult task

For now i don't have munch time to plugin (that's a shame), but i will in future.

Thanks for the suggestion, if you have more, fill free to post here

PS:  In Portuguese is: Certificado de Conclusão  :D

Picture of Gisele Brugger

Olá Carlos, 

Parabéns pelo excelente módulo desenvolvido. A facilidade de edição realmente ficou muito simples.

Estava fazendo uns testes e me deparei com uma dúvida( que também tem no módulo certificate original)

Se uso os métodos de autenticação: correio eletrônico e redes sociais em meu curso, por padrão os campos Firstname e Lastname são destravados e consequentemente o usuário consegue editar a qualquer momento o seu nome e sobrenome.

Finalizei um curso e fui fazer um teste: o usuário poderá emitir quantos certificados ele quiser para várias pessoas apenas alterando o nome e sobrenome.

Vi que o QRcode será sempre o mesmo, assim como o código gerado no módulo certificate também, mas o nome sempre será o registrado na base de dados.

Se eu bloquear o campo nome e sobrenome os próximos a fazerem inscrição no moodle não conseguem se cadastrar.

Por enquanto não vi outra solução a não ser contar com o bom senso do aluno.

O que acha? já passou por algo similar?

até breve

Olá Gisele,

Fico muito feliz em ver brasileiros participando e mostrando mais interesse.

Esse plugin, a partir da versão 2.1.2 (eu acho) ou a partir da próxima versão (2.2.1) a troca de nome do usuário não vai interferir em nada pois depois que o arquivo do certificado é gerado o plugin não o gera mais, ele verifica se o arquivo já existe, e se existir envia para o aluno.

A única forma dele regerar o certificado é se algum tutor fizer um update na atividade certificado. Isso evita qualquer tentativa de gerar certificados com outro nome por exemplo

----

Só mais uma coisa Gisele,  esse fórum é em inglês, criei um fórum especialmente para postagem em português, pode continuar usar esse aqui, mas tem que traduzir para inglês ok 

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=230459

Picture of Mayang Farala

Hi smile Is there any possibility to have a variable for the user picture so that it can be used to display/print in the certificate also?

I think about this issue for a long time, how to solve it, i think i get it, i will try something for 2.2.1 version of this plugin. so stay tuned :D

Picture of Mayang Farala

Ok thanks big grin looking forward to that version .. 

Picture of Rodrigo Calado

Olá Carlos

Criei alguns campos personalizados para meus alunos (como RG e CPF), e gostaria de exibir estes campos no certificado. Tentei usar no certificado algo como {nome_do_campo} mas não funcionou.

Há alguma forma de utilizar meus campos personalizados no certificado?

Obrigado!

See the post:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=222296#p1031427

And please, this is english forum,  for Portuguese posts use this forum:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=230459

Picture of Rodrigo Calado

Carlos

I'm sorry about that.

That is exactly what i needed

thank you!

New Version release:

v2.1.3 - 2014030100

Changes and fixes:

#66 Put white background color in code text (below QRcode picture)
#62 paging in Bulk operations doesn't work correctly
#60 Clear not set variables
#57 folder separation string
#55 Manager certificate is not removed
#54 certdatefmt left with old values after upgrade
#53 Fix some tables parameters
#65 Verify completation

Picture of Marius Jugariu

Hi Carlos. I installed it on my 2.6.1 Moodle and after the screen where it says "installation successful" and coming to add new settings I get the following error:

It is not allowed to set the property cm_info::$courseid

• line 1249 of /lib/modinfolib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 591 of /mod/simplecertificate/lib.php: call to cm_info->__set()
  • line 617 of /mod/simplecertificate/lib.php: call to simplecertificate_get_mods()
  • line 30 of /mod/simplecertificate/settings.php: call to simplecertificate_get_date_options()
  • line 89 of /lib/classes/plugininfo/mod.php: call to include()
  • line 35 of /admin/settings/plugins.php: call to core\plugininfo\mod->load_settings()
  • line 6389 of /lib/adminlib.php: call to require()
  • line 22 of /admin/upgradesettings.php: call to admin_get_root()

Had to uninstall it.

which plugin version, last one ?

2.1.3 ?

i get this error now,  but  certificate was created and issued, i will fix it

Picture of Marius Jugariu

Works ok now after installing the updated version. Many thanks!

Marius

Picture of Christian Molter
PHP catchable fatal error

Hi Carlos,

first of all, thanks for simple certificate. It surely takes a lot of time and passion to keep it up & running.

I am thinking about switching from ILIAS to Moodle, got a fresh installation of moodle with certificate and simple certificate for testings.

The plugin certificate works fine, including the creating of certificates. But it is from my point of view way hard to customize, especially if you offer more than one course. The plugin simple certificate unfortunately creates here an error if I want to get a certificate created: PHP catchable fatal error. That was surprising for me, too. So I turned on the debug and maybe this can help to sort it out:

---boc---

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$numsections in /var/www/.../moodle/mod/simplecertificate/lib.php on line 567

Coding problem: $PAGE->context was not set. You may have forgotten to call require_login() or $PAGE->set_context(). The page may not display correctly as a result

line 451 of /lib/pagelib.php: call to debugging()
    line 734 of /lib/pagelib.php: call to moodle_page->magic_get_context()
    line 1394 of /lib/weblib.php: call to moodle_page->__get()
    line 1259 of /lib/grade/grade_item.php: call to format_string()
    line 575 of /lib/conditionlib.php: call to grade_item->get_name()
    line 525 of /lib/conditionlib.php: call to condition_info_base::get_grade_name()
    line 131 of /lib/conditionlib.php: call to condition_info_base::fill_availability_conditions_inner()
    line 1065 of /course/lib.php: call to condition_info::fill_availability_conditions()
    line 617 of /lib/modinfolib.php: call to get_array_of_activities()
    line 450 of /lib/modinfolib.php: call to course_modinfo::build_course_cache()
    line 411 of /lib/modinfolib.php: call to course_modinfo->__construct()
    line 2003 of /lib/modinfolib.php: call to course_modinfo::instance()
    line 2842 of /lib/moodlelib.php: call to get_fast_modinfo()
    line 39 of /mod/simplecertificate/view.php: call to require_login()

---eoc---

I read about some themes creating that error, tried every theme that comes along with moodle. No effect, the "PHP catchable fatal error" is resistant to that.

Any advice or anything I can send to solve this?

Thanks for your patience,

Chris

Re: PHP catchable fatal error

which moodle and plugin versions, last one ?

2.1.3 ?

Those should be the latest versions, I downloaded them just a few days ago. Moodle 2.6.1+ and Simple Certificate 2014030100 (version number copied from Plugins Overview).

Thanks a lot Carlos, it works.

what a shame, i "tested" the new version without enabling the debug mode clown

the fix are coming very soon

i must test other version too

Picture of Digital Blues

Hi Carlos!

I have a question... On the display of the certificate To "GET CERTIFICATE" is it possible to remove the summary of marks from this page? My client doesn't like how it shows up before the get certificate button and would like it removed. But there is no option to "hide" it and i was unsure where to start to remove it displaying from the code.

If you need more information please let me know.
Thank you for your help in advance.

Nicole.

Possibles of course it is, but not without a change,  because ther is no options for that. 

This code is in view.php,  you can change it, or try to hide things using CSS ....

Picture of Drew LaChapelle

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for creating this activity.  I was wondering if you could add a modulename_help language string for the component mod_simplecertificate so that a description will appear in the right side of the Activity chooser when Simple Certificate is selected.  Many of the activities have this help string and without one it just says "There is currently no help associated with this resource or activity". 

Maybe something like:

The simple certificate activity module enables the teacher to create a custom certificate that can be issued to participants who have completed the teacher’s specified requirements.

This would help promote this module to our users.

Thank you for your consideration and your work on this module.

Drew

Ok, i can do that, in the next version

you can follow the progress at:

https://github.com/bozoh/moodle-mod_simplecertificate/issues?milestone=6&state=open

Picture of Drew LaChapelle

Thanks Carlos!

Picture of Antonio de Simone

Hello Carlos,

really thanks for this great moodle module!
I have an answer:

using {FIRSTNAME} tag you can display the student name,
using {LASTNAME} tag you can display the surname,
using {USERNAME} tag you can display both of them

but is possible display the username, that used to log in?

Thank you in advanced,

Antonio

P.S. Today I started to translate the module in my language, the italian.

Sure there is, but not with {USERNAME}  text mark

I will create a new one,  i think something like {LOGIN}, but only in new versions.

and thanks for translation

Great!

Can you tell me approximately when the new version will be available? big grin

Very hard to say, since i only work on this when i have some free time

but you can see the progress here:

https://github.com/bozoh/moodle-mod_simplecertificate/issues?milestone=6&state=open

OK, thanks again for your work!

It's possibile to do a little change in this module files about the definition of the "username" variable?

I can obtain fullname using fistname and lastname and i could use username variable to display $user->username... (the change would concern a single file)

I can't find something about your module's license, let me know if it's possible to do this little change waiting for your new version (that will surely be great!)

I can not do this due to the legacy support.
Many people use this certificate with this text mark to display the full name, so change it to display login username will make all certificates becomes wrong.

It could change it in update script, but would not be something easy to do, and there is any benefits on this.
The text marks are well documented, so create a new one it's not a problem at all.

The module license is in the source code
GNU GPL v3

Sketch...

Carlos,

Line 1237 in the \mod\simplecertificate\locallib.php page of your Simple Certificate activity contains:

$limitsql = " LIMIT $perpage" . " OFFSET " . $page * $perpage ;

which adds a "LIMIT ... OFFSET ..." parameter to the $issedusers SQL:

$issedusers = $DB->get_records_sql("SELECT u.*, ci.code, ci.timecreated
    FROM {user} u
    INNER JOIN {simplecertificate_issues} ci
    ON u.id = ci.userid
    WHERE u.deleted = 0
    AND ci.certificateid = :certificateid
    AND timedeleted IS NULL
    ORDER BY {$sort} {$limitsql}", array('certificateid' => $this->id));

SQL Server does not support "LIMIT" and "OFFSET" so that "LIMIT ... OFFSET ..." parameter effectively breaks the plugin on MS SQL Server:

Default exception handler: Error reading from database Debug: SQLState: 42000<br>
Error Code: 102<br>
Message: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Incorrect syntax near 'LIMIT'.<br>

SELECT u.*, ci.code, ci.timecreated
				FROM mdl_user u
				INNER JOIN mdl_simplecertificate_issues ci
				ON u.id = ci.userid
				WHERE u.deleted = 0
				AND ci.certificateid = '1'
				AND timedeleted IS NULL
				ORDER BY   CAST(firstname AS NVARCHAR(255))  +  CAST(' ' AS NVARCHAR(255))  +  CAST(lastname AS NVARCHAR(255))    LIMIT 30 OFFSET 0
[array (
  0 => '1',
)]
Error code: dmlreadexception
* line 423 of \lib\dml\moodle_database.php: dml_read_exception thrown
* line 260 of \lib\dml\sqlsrv_native_moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->query_end()
* line 367 of \lib\dml\sqlsrv_native_moodle_database.php: call to sqlsrv_native_moodle_database->query_end()
* line 788 of \lib\dml\sqlsrv_native_moodle_database.php: call to sqlsrv_native_moodle_database->do_query()
* line 836 of \lib\dml\sqlsrv_native_moodle_database.php: call to sqlsrv_native_moodle_database->get_recordset_sql()
* line 1248 of \mod\simplecertificate\locallib.php: call to sqlsrv_native_moodle_database->get_records_sql()
* line 1338 of \mod\simplecertificate\locallib.php: call to simplecertificate->get_issued_certificate_users()
* line 83 of \mod\simplecertificate\view.php: call to simplecertificate->view_issued_certificates()

Is there a way to build that $issedusers SQL without using LIMIT ... OFFSET... so that your plugin works on SQL Server hsoted Moodle sites?

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Read the PHPdoc for get_records_sql

https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/master/lib/dml/moodle_database.php#L1308

This is what the $limitfrom and $limitnum arguments are for.

Thanks, that will save a lot of time

This is an old code, and i has sure there is a way to do this without limit/offset,  i just need to study how to do this,  i think i can "steal" the code from others mods, or from grade framework.