Hardware and performance

Picture of Eric Hagley
Can 2.4 run on a Linux red hat 5.8 server - what is the best mysql for it
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Good afternoon to all.

Hoping someone will be able to help me. We are wanting to upgrade our server to use Moodle 2.4. However, the group we have looking after the server says that the version of Linux on it (redhat 5.8) will not support mysql 5.1.33 or above. Apparently there are many other systems attached to the server and they don't want to upgrade just for Moodle. I've tried to find an answer and can't - is it possible to run Moodle 2.4 using Linux redhat 5.8? If so, how? We have 1.9.19 running now.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Eric

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Moo pin
Re: Can 2.4 run on a Linux red hat 5.8 server - what is the best mysql for it

Good morning Eric.

In my opinion, the IT team exposes that the upgrade of mysql to 5.1.33 could endanger the current operation from the services running on that RHEL 5.8 server, don't you? Morever, RHEL 5.8 comes with official support for mysql in its version 5.0.95.

As administrator of similar systems, I quite agree with the IT team. It's true two different version of mysql could be running on the same linux server, but that would be itself a risky issue. Also, experimented system administrators know having the official version supported for RHEL is the best option.

Good luck

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Ken Task

Think the 'many other systems' is the reason they are telling you that.

It is certainly possible to run higher than 5.1.3 on RedHat Enterprise 5.8 but one has to use another repository to get it (epel) or directly from MySQL itself using RPM's they provide.

While there might be a way to fake out Moodle during install of a 2.4, probably not advised and there could be something just lurking on ya.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Picture of Eric Hagley

Many many thanks Ken and Moo for your advice.

From that, I take it that it is possible for them to upgrade to 5.1.33 on RHEL but because RHEL 5.8 comes with official support for mysql in its version 5.0.95 they (the IT group running our servers) probably don't want to, as they are afraid it will interfere with the other systems.

Moo, they wouldn't want to run two instances of mysql on the one server, but I'd hoped they might be able to upgrade the present instance to one that would allow 2.4 to run. You suggest this in not a good idea though because of official support. As it is more than 3 years since the server went in, I'm presuming that support has already finished anyways so I'm not sure that is too important. I'll try to find out what else is using the present instance of mysql. I get the feeling they just don't want to have to deal with this and are trying to fob us off.

Thank you again.

Kind regards,
Eric

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
Hi Eric

The required minimum versions of the system software are documented here http://download.moodle.org/ along with the various Moodle versions.

[as co-moderator] This is not a question on performance. I will move the thread in a day or two to the "Installation problems" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=28 forum.

Picture of Eric Hagley

Thank you very much for your input Visvanath. I'm very grateful for all you do for the Moodle community.

I understand the minimum requirements but it is the hardware that we have that is limiting us. As I mentioned, my institution is running RHEL 5.8 on its server and the IT company looking after the system is telling us they can't run MySQL 5.1.33 or above on that setup. I get the feeling it is more a case of they don't want to update mysql and that is why I was asking if anyone knew if it were really the case - can you or can't you run MySQL 5.1.33 or above on RHEL 5.8.

There is no problem with the installation per se, more the performance of the setup involved and that is why I chose this forum. If you think it is more related to installation, then I will of course defer to your judgement. Again, many thanks for your ongoing support and assistance.

Kind regards,
Eric

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
Hi Eric

> I understand the minimum requirements but it is the hardware that we have that is limiting us.

Did you mention the hardware?

> As I mentioned, my institution is running RHEL 5.8 on its server

Whatever the hardware is, if it can run RHEL, there can't be a problem.

> and the IT company looking after the system is telling us they can't run MySQL 5.1.33 or above on that setup.

MySQL 5.1.33 is the minimum since Moodle 2.3. For Moodle 2.0 - 2.2 it is MySQL 5.0.25 (source http://download.moodle.org ).

> I get the feeling it is more a case of they don't want to update mysql and that is why I was asking if anyone knew if it were really the case - can you or can't you run MySQL 5.1.33 or above on RHEL 5.8.

Sure, you can run newer MySQL versions on RHEL. There are plenty of binaries (rpms) around or one can always compile the LAMP stack from source.

You must talk to the system administrators. It might be very well possible that they don't want to upgrade system software - possibly for a valid reason. There are systems where the long term stability is of prime importance, like in finance institutions. They go for RHEL. Moodle is meant for desktop users, who can't wait to see (and feel) the latest (shyniest) software on their screens.

You can't have both. May be you can ask the administrators to set up a virtual machine for you. Since they have the know-how in RedHat, CentOS would be the most natural choice.

> There is no problem with the installation per se, more the performance of the setup involved and that is why I chose this forum.

Do you say, you have installed Moodle 2.4 and having performance problems?

> If you think it is more related to installation, then I will of course defer to your judgement. Again, many thanks for your ongoing support and assistance.

No problem. We can leave this thread in the "Hardware and Performance" forum until the question "installation or performance" is clarified.