General help

I Teach With Moodle
Locked out of Moodle 2.4
Group Testers

Hi, 

I have finally done it. I have managed to properly lock myself out of my Moodle 2.4 test installation. Here is what I did:

• setup a new memcached 'caching' store
  • assigned files and sessions to be kept in there
  • logged out
  • tried to log back in - no luck

In order to fix it, I have:

• tried to revert to sessions saved in DB (using PHPmyAdmin)
  • deleted all sessions from disk (never know...)
  • clear all browser cache (I cannot clear Moodle caches as I am logged out)
  • rebooted, restarted Apache and Memcached
  • checked Apache & memcached error logs (no mention of any issues)
  • no debugging messages (set to developer)

None of the above has worked. Any ideas? For example I cannot find where the config for the cache store is saved in the database. If I could find it, I could probably change it there. I could probably revert to an old backup but I didn't do anything 'out of the ordinary' here - might have uncovered a bug?

FWIW the Memcached store is working well (I can see it in the stats)

Cheers, 
Fred

PS: Ubuntu 12.04 server, box standard Apache & PHP, APC

Average of ratings: -
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: Locked out of Moodle 2.4
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

It seem that the cache definitions are stored in moodledata/muc/config.php. Try renaming that to config-backup.php, or someting, and see if that lets you in. If it does, delete the backup. If it does not, rename the backup back to the original file name.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
I Teach With Moodle
Group Testers

Thanks Tim, deleting the file did the trick.

On a side note, because the cache definitions are saved in moodledata/muc/config.php, it makes things very awkward for those using APC (or other opcode cache I would imagine). In order to see the changes made on the caching 'dashboard' Administration>Plugins>Caching>Configuration, one has to clear the opcode cache.

So far, I have failed to get Moodle to play nicely with my memcached store. The store works (I see that in the stats) but I have a lot of get_misses. There are also quite a few admin functions that no longer work e.g. purge caches, cache performance when I have the memcached store enabled and mapped. Altogether it makes Moodle buggy. I wonder whether this is a bug or just on my installation. Initially I thought it was due to APC and disabled, rebooted and same happened without APC. I'll keep digging.

Cheers, 
Fred

Picture of Ken Task
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Try Tim's suggestion first ... some thoughts:

In looking over memcached installation notes
http://www.php.net/manual/en/memcached.installation.php

Session handler support is enabled by default. To disable it, use --disable-memcached-session switch.  Not sure where one does that … an .ini file?

Session issues could result in no logins, could they not?

Don't use Ubuntu, but isn't memchached an add-on (loadable) module to PHP?

Rather than un-install, how about disabling it.  If I re-call correctly, you'll find the loadable modules in another directory in apache config - a php-memchached.ini file?

Just hide it … mv php-memcached.ini .php-memcached.ini (moving to a hidden file [file begins with a '.'] means Apache can't see it and won't load it).

Restart apache service.

Then see if you can login.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

I Teach With Moodle
Group Testers

Hi Ken, 

thanks for your message. I tried Tim's suggestion and it worked. I also looked at your solution and in doing so I realised that the problem wasn't just with sessions & memcached but a deeper problem. I don't have a full picture and will need to keep digging.

Cheers, 
Fred