Forum

Picture of Peter Kowski
Using a forum with a non-standard requirement

I have a bit of a unique requirement made by a teacher on a course that I look after. What is required is that students have an option of privately sending questions to the teacher(s), that can then be answered. If appropriate, the teacher can then decide to publish the discussion (consisting both of the original question and answer) to a public page for the benefit of other students.

Of course, I could do this by internal messaging, and then requesting that the teacher copies and pastes relevant discussions to the News forum, but the teacher has specifically asked for internal messaging not to be enabled. How I get around this at the moment is that students use a simple asignment module (with a single text field) to "send" the question to the teacher. The teacher then answers by leaving in-line feedback in the asignment.

Is there any way I could do this more intuitively by customising the forum permissions?

Average of ratings: -
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: Using a forum with a non-standard requirement
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

If you are prepared to install the OU's Forum NG add-on, then the 'Study advice' forum type will do exactly what you want.

Picture of Peter Kowski
Re: Using a forum with a non-standard requirement

Tim. Thank you very much for your prompt reply and aplogies for the delayed gratitude. ForumNG worked a treat and does exactly what I need it to do. I just had to quickly conjure up a few Spanish translations for it and change a couple of simple things to make it work properly in 2.4. Everything is up and running perfectly now. Thank you once again.